Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I just spend 5 hours fixing a neighbours computer which is 12 years old and has 64 MB of RAM, running Windows XP. I reinstalled Windows XP which broke her old Word and Excel installs (although they are still on the HD).

How can I enable her to write Word and Excel files again? I can't seem to find the .exes and they wouldn't start anyway as these programs are not installed properly anymore (is there a trick?).

I'm afraid Open Office won't run on a 64MB machine, would it?

Is there a lightweight word processor that would run on that oldtimer? Perhaps Abiword? What's the equivalent for excel?

Thanks!

Did you repair her WinXP or flat out reinstall it ? If you did a total reinstall, the reg keys for Word and Excel association got killed. You'll need to reinstall whatever her office software of choice was. Openoffice should run fine, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

marmot25 posted:

This is probably a very basic question, but I didn't see anything in the OP and a google search leads me to some contradictory info.

I did a clean install of win7 professional (64-bit) within a VMWare virtual machine, and thought I would be set by giving it just 15 GB of space. I'll only be running one small program within Windows, and I can just mount folders from OS X that contain all of the files I'll be using with this program. I had previously read that a clean install of Windows would be something like 6-8 GB, so I thought I would have more than enough extra space on the volume, but now I see that there's a winsxs folder that has ballooned to over 8 GB in size within the first few days of my using this fresh (and fully updated) install. Is this normal, or did something go horribly wrong (and is there anything I can do about it)?

As mentioned, this is pretty normal.

You can expect most Win7 installs to finally stop ballooning somewhere in the 9-15GB range. I wouldn't install it on a segment with less than 20GB, assuming you're still going to run updates to windows.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

FlyingDodo posted:

I recently got Windows7, it is an OEM version. I was unaware that it meant the licence was restricted in any way. I've been trying to work out what exactly it means if I re-format and reinstall Windows. I have seen various contradicting opinions all over the internet. Eg; you can only activate once ever, or you can activate many times as you want as long as your hardware doesn't change at all, or you can activate as many times as you want as long as only your motherboard doesn't change, or you can activate only a limited amount of times as long as your hardware doesn't change, or you can only activate a limited amount of times via the internet as long as your hardware doesn't change but then you can activate by phone if your hardware has changed. Or various combinations of the above.

I would prefer a solid answer as to what will/won't work. Theres too much conflicting information out there. I noticed in the OP it is mentioned that an OEM licence can't be tied to specific hardware in the EU. Is this the case in any other countries, such as New Zealand?

Windows Activations are tied to the Motherboard of the machine you're installing it on. OEM, Retail, doesn't matter, if it isn't a VLK install, it locks itself to the motherboard.

You can move it to another machine with a new motherboard *once* in my experience without having to do the over-the-phone thing, past that online activation will be declined and you'll need to call MS, tell them you've had a hardware failure, and go through the over-the-phone activation process.

:siren:Always tell them you've had a hardware failure and needed to replace your motherboard. The guys in the call center work on a script of acceptable answers. If you tell them your motherboard died and was replaced, requiring a reactivation, they won't tell you no.

It's really painless, just annoying, and MS has never said "no you can't have a new key" to me on the phone.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 21, 2011

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

leftover posted:

I note that the OP to this thread is pretty old (2009). Without slogging through all 300+ pages, can anyone help?

I just fresh installed windows 7 over my old install of windows vista. I'm not a computer wizard, but from using windows since the DOS ages I've noticed that every eh, 2 or so years, whatever windows version I had been using started running slower. I typically use adaware, spybot and avast, and don't go around downloading or clicking strange things... but always windows slows down and I inexorably have to do a fresh install to fix. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but whenever the previous occurrences of slow down grew too annoying to ignore, my father instilled into me "FRESH INSTALL!"

So, after this newest fresh install everything is great just like the laptop was originally, but it is annoying as hell to backup and notepad everything I want to remember (programs, addons etc...)

Long story short, is there a way to delay this inevitable windows slow down, inhibit it, or at least make it less time consuming the next time? Obviously I'm not a computer whiz, but I'm comfortable messing around.

The problem with older versions of windows was mostly registry bloat and windows un-intelligently leaving bullshit files you no longer needed around after driver rollbacks / updates / uninstalls / etc.

The problem with Vista is that it is Vista, and even Microsoft would prefer to pretend that it never happened.

If you want to save time for fresh formats, in addition to whatever you usually keep on your system drives, store your important poo poo and a relevant set of drivers on an external drive. Format -> Load drivers from external storage -> give no fucks.

Win7 so far, for me, has been better in the bloating category than any previous version of windows. Before my new machine a month ago, my previous Win7 install was from the retail release, and ran just as snappy as the day I set it up.

I wouldn't worry to much with Win7, just do regular maintenance (CCleaner :black101:) and keep your non-SSDs defragged once a month or so.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 22, 2011

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

zachol posted:

Even CCleaner doesn't feel that necessary anymore. Every time I run it, the stuff it wants to clean has already been pruned.

I just keep it around for cleaning out Firefox / IE / etc. because I'm lazy and it's a one-click solution to cleaning out junk.

Factor Mystic posted:

Windows won't defrag your SSD by default, and if you go to drive properties\tools, you can turn on scheduled defragmentation for everything else. But for media drives or external drives it's hardly necessary.

The common theme here is "don't worry about it".

I wasn't really suggesting defragging your external drives, more just make sure you've got a schedule set for your internal HDDs.

I'll also say I haven't ever really liked the windows built-in defrag, but maybe the one for Win7 isn't that bad. (I'm using nothing but SSDs now, haven't owned a platter drive since Win7)

His other question was "How do I keep poo poo for easy access if I want to format". Keeping your files backed up externally and having some basic drivers around, even if not 100% up to date, makes the process significantly faster for people who don't do it on a regular basis.

But yeah, the root of it is "Don't worry too much about Win7"

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 22, 2011

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

FlyingDodo posted:

When installing Windows7 on a SSD is there anything special I need to do, like BIOS settings, or configuration of Windows to make the SSD work properly? Windows is installed and running, but I'm unsure if I need to do anything extra.

Short Version: No.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Risket posted:

I'm looking for a dead simple media player application for my parents, who are about as technically challenged as they come. Basically the UI that I want should have big rear end, really simple buttons for them to mash so the application does what they want. Here's an example of what I'm looking for:

Features I'm looking for:
  • Audio CD Playback
  • Playback of commonly used audio files (i.e. MP3, WMA) I don't care about OGG/FLAC/Whatever support
  • Playback of common video files. The Common Community Codec Pack is installed.
  • Basic equalizer (not a deal breaker)
  • Dead simple audio CD ripping to MP3 (not a deal breaker)
I've taken a look at Amarok (no stable Windows version), Zoom Player, Winamp, musikcube, and Media Player Classic. MPC is close to what I want, but it's still too complicated them.

The OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit.

Thanks!

If WMP is too complicated for them, your best hope is to put a shortcut on the desktop to the folder housing their music collection, change it to icon view, and set icon size to LARGE.

Then they can just double click the song they want to play.

Honestly almost every single media player is going to have playlist support and other features that will scare them, you'll just need to teach them what buttons to push. Alternatively, add their music to a playlist for them and then show them how to double click ?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Pepper Potts posted:

OK, it's definitely not my browser.

I downloaded HijackThis, but now it won't let me do a startup log. It keeps complaining that startuplist.txt doesn't exist. I tried to create it but it said that I'm not allowed to save it in the Trend Micro folder. WTF...I'm logged in as myself on Windows, and I'm definitely an admin account?

:smithicide:

Reboot the machine, hit F8, launch in safemode.

CMD+R -> Type "MSConfig" without quotes and hit enter -> Startup tab

Check for anything out of place.

Alternatively, are you sure someone isn't loving with you and just changed your windows logon sound to an MP3 ?

Control Panel -> Hardware and Sounds -> Sound -> Sounds Tab -> Windows -> Windows Logon

Check what's set as the sound.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 2, 2011

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

What's the best way to get 4 copies of Office Home and Business 2010?

They have the downloadable version for $199. Might be a PITA to download 4 times, and every time in the future.

They also have the retail version for $279, which allows 2 PC's - your home PC and work PC. We could buy 2 copies of this, I guess..

Or there's Office Standard 2010, and we could get a Microsoft Open License but we'd need to get 5 users worth. And it's probably more than $199 each.

Buy 4 copies online. Download it once. Save the install package on your HDD or a thumb drive. You can use the same install file and just throw a different key in for every machine.

Office Standard 2010 will cost you $350-ish a copy in an open license at that small of a quantity. We just bought a couple hundred licenses.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 5, 2011

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

How do I make windows 7 look decently pretty without aero? I'm installing onto a laptop that doesn't support it. 3rd party window manager that's not a resource hog?

The only thing you're really missing with aero in terms of "pretty" is transparent window borders.

It doesn't look that bad really. Is someone specifically requesting you make it "pretty"?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

FERN GULLY FAN posted:

still looking for an answer to this if anybody has any ideas.

If you don't want to dick with windows backup and restore discs you could just shell out the $40 for something like Acronis True Image 12 Personal and take images of your drive that way. Comes with a tool for creating bootable media as well.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Gozinbulx posted:

i knew someone would say that.

Im serious though, is it the registry or something?

Registry bloat is fairly nonexistant for Win7, it's vastly improved over XP/Vista. If you're experiencing long term degredation you've either accumulated too many processes absorbing system resources (change your process load in msconfig at boot) or your HDD has suffered massive amounts of defragmentation (75%+).

Either way it isn't normal and you're doing something odd.

akadajet posted:

I just got a USB 3.0 -> SATA adapter and would like to wipe (zero-fill) some old hard disks I have laying around. Is there any reputable program to accomplish this?

Mount the drive, open command prompt, format e: /fs:NTFS /p:2 (substitute E: for the mounted drive letter)
Or grab yourself a copy of Killdisk.

MeramJert posted:

Does anyone know a simple program that would be good at essentially acting like an electronic sing-out sheet for physical equipment? Right now I'm just using a paper sign-out sheet when I loan stuff out but it feels like there has to be something out there already. I could write something, but I'd prefer not to if it's not necessary.

Microsoft Excel?

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 24, 2012

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

akadajet posted:

I didn't know that Microsoft changed it. I was still under the impression that all a full format did was check for bad sectors.

Standard formats under windows will simply mark the entire drive as deleted but not actually zero out. The command I linked above will zero the disk. If you want multiple passes or DoD level drive wiping you'll need something like Killdisk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Who thought this CredSSP patch was a good idea as configured. Jesus MS. So many broken home-user endpoints for RDS.