Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Is there a goon favourite software for file recovery?
My music HDD died a ways back and I thought I had it all backed up but I'm noticing some bands weren't fully backed up.

I could re-rip my CD's of course but don't have a CD drive at the moment. I've tried photorec and it could recover the files but not the metadata or file names.
I know of recuva and active file recovery but don't currently have a license to either one (used to have an active bootdisk license, was good software but lost the license due to some fuckery I won't go in to)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Klyith posted:

Recuva is free though?

The last time I needed a data recovery program the trial version of EaseUS Data Recovery was what worked well. The trial is limited to 500MB recovered, but if your albums are mp3s or whatever that'll be enough.

(Also rather than buy software, a usb external DVD drive is like $25.)

If your old windows install was using a real Win10 key (ie you bought Win10), yes.

If you got Win10 via upgrading an existing install, or by punching in a 7 or 8 key at install time, no. In those cases you only get a digital license that has no key.

What you can do about that:
1. Punch in a Pro key for 7, 8, or 10 into your current install in Settings -> Update -> Activation
2. Image your old drive to the new drive, use Reset this PC to get what is pretty much as good as a fresh install.

Huh, so it is... I could have sworn recuva used to be free up to some file amount or something. And yeah I know I can buy an external dvd drive and probably will have to at some point but I want to try avoiding having to find and rip all my cd's again :D

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

I think it is. I had to recover a file six months ago and I'm fairly sure Recuva wouldn't let me restore more than 500MB of it or something like that. Did that change?

Looks like recuva can't deal with the damage on the disk, so I might have to try active file recovery at some point.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

A few years ago I signed up to Apple Music and took all my CDs to the nearest pawn shop. It's a very liberating experience. I now have an order of magnitude more music than I used to.

I used to use spotify myself but got enough of them deleting poo poo from my library so went back to loving around with mp3's instead.
I'm not gonna gently caress around with apple products, got enough bad experiences to stay away from that.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

I wish see Spotify had an upload feature for my own music like Google music has

yeah that would have saved it for me. Google music just sucks when it comes to selection here.

So gently caress it, I can rip from cd's instead and listen to what I loving want to.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

I mean. Spotify premium is still one of the only sub services that is 100% worth its value though.

yeah probably, I just listen to some weird stuff and the way spotify handles syncing local files I might as well save the money and gently caress around with mp3's instead.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

I caved and bought Active Bootdisk in the end and managed to recover most of my songs. A few seem to have become corrupted but uh, I'll find out which and weed those out in due time I guess?

There was like 50 gigs of music and audio files and some didn't get the tags or names recovered and I have no idea what they are, might be stuff from games or something. But I got the stuff I was missing from my collection at least.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

They changed the calculator icon in windows 10 and I hate it.

First thing I do on all my windows 10 installs is uninstall the calculator (along some other poo poo) and install the old windows 7 one.
I feel like it uses space much more effectively than the 10 one.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

it's really good if your laptop has a touch screen.

I'll be honest, I don't really ever use my laptops touchscreen.

I bought a loving "convertible" laptop because I figured maybe I could start drawing but instead it gathers dust in a backpack for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

I find it much easier to just press win key, write calcu, press enter and then do numpad magic for whatever myself.

I don't even know where on my phone the calculator app is tbh. It's there somewhere I guess. But I also can't use touchscreen quickly to save my life.