Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Krakkles posted:

Thanks, but I don't think this is a viable option - last time I opened up the case I seem to recall it only had one HDD slot.

As long as you have two SATA connectors (and two power connectors, but you can Y-split those), you can just boot the computer with the case open and the extra HDD hanging out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Golashes posted:

Is there anything I can use to hide folders only in Explorer? I have an absurd amount of config folders from programs/games in My Documents and I want to hide them, but any program using those folders bugs out if I hide them the regular way.

A crude but straightforward trick is to rename or shortcut the folders you do care about and put a dot in front of them (eg ".My Music"), so they will appear at the top of the list.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Thoom posted:

Is there any good alternative to Alt Key Codes for people who don't memorize ASCII tables for fun but only rarely use accented characters? On my Mac, if I wanted to type an è I'd hit Alt-`, then e. The two Windows options I know of are memorizing a billion numbers so that I know è is Alt+0232, or switching to an input method where I would type it as `e, but which also fucks up my ability to type a single `, ', etc.

By far the best option for Western multilingual typers is to switch to the US-International layout. You can get the various diacritic-marked letters in two ways: 'dead keys' then letter (eg. ~ then space = ~; ~ then n = ñ; " then a = ä, ' then e = é, ` then e = è) or a bunch of AltGr (right Alt) combinations, although I think only é has one, not è.

If you only need a few specific diacritics once in a while, look up AutoHotkey, it's really simple to do that kind of character replacement.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Hibernation is just a full shutdown where your computer copies the current RAM content on the hard drive; when you turn it on, instead of doing the regular boot it restores the RAM back to what it was before.

In terms of energy it's the best since it consumes 0, in terms of HDD life it means you're writing and reading a few gigabytes of (continuous!) data every time you hibernate, which shouldn't be that stressful if you're not doing it more than once or twice a day.

That said, as long as your desktop in in any energy-saving mode its power consumption will be minimal compared to when it's fully operative. The best way to reduce your energy usage is to set everything (particularly the screen) to automatically sleep / hibernate / shut down as fast as you're willing to tolerate.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

This reminds me: if I enable the Hybrid Sleep option, Hibernate is no longer available. Is there a way to be able to choose between all three (without going into Power Options every time)?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Thoom posted:

Which almost works. The only problem is that it doesn't seem to apply to the first press after holding the shift key down. So I press Shift+Num1 and it goes to the end of the line. While still holding shift, I press Num1 again and it types a '1' as expected.

Is there anything I can do to fix this bizarre behavior?

I can't quite figure out why it acts that way, but try putting a * in front of the very first line (i.e. *NumpadEnd::).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

What's the simplest way to make Windows automatically dump a camera's pictures to a given folder as soon as it's connected? i.e. without having a clunky piece of bloatware permanently running.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Squibbles posted:

That's a built in function on windows vista/7. When you plug in a camera it should pop open an auto play prompt and one of the options is to import pictures. Once you set it up how you want it you can tell the auto play prompt to always run that action when you plug in that device. Mine imports all the photos to a date-named folder then deletes all the pictures off the camera as soon as I plug it in.

Not sure if XP has something like this.

Oh, excellent, I had just disabled the Autoplay. Splendid. Thanks.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

I use my laptop in classes regularly, and also take it to the library every day after classes. Due to this, I normally keep the speakers muted.

Is there a free utility that will unmute when plugging in headphones, and go back to muted when unplugging them?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/404854-mute-volume-pause-playback-if-headphones-removed.html

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I've got a mildly annoying issue: I have an external USB hard disc that is pretty slow to 'wake up' (6-7 seconds). Which is fine, except that at the logon screen I have to wait until it's done before my USB keyboard can also 'wake up' and I can type in the password.

Is there any way to tell Windows to "check" the keyboard first and not wait for the HDD?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Butt Savage posted:

I hate to ask this type of question, but can anyone recommend a better RSS reader than Google's? Preferably something similar to Reeder for OSX.

NewsFox for Firefox.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Sad Panda posted:

I'm on Windows 7 and trying to learn Spanish. I am looking for a free piece of text to speech software that has a Spanish voice. The inbuilt Windows 7 one is only Anna and she's just English.
Google Translate has a TTS feature that I find really good in every language I know.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Crossposting from the monitor thread: Do you have any interesting yet non-obvious tricks to share about dual-monitoring on Windows, in addition to using stuff like UltraMon to handle the taskbar?

The holy grail would be a way to toggle cursor locking during full-screen games and be able to quickly answer Skype or whatnot on the second monitor even if the full-screen program refuses to minimise gracefully, but my Googling suggests this sadly just isn't possible.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Right now, toggling the LAN sharing of a folder or drive requires me to do eight separate mouse clicks (Win7 x64). Is there any way to make it quicker, whether with a dedicated utility, a clever shortcut or a pair of .reg files?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

The drag to the side thing doesn't quite work well with multi-monitor setups :(
For some reason it works fine with multi-monitors as long as you have the Start bar vertically on the border (which is a good idea anyway in this era of widescreens).

Or yeah, just use Win+arrow keys regardless.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Occasionally, while using Explorer, I'll get a Visual C++-titled popup with "this application has caused an irrecoverable error etc. etc.", then Explorer crashes (and is harmlessly restarted).

I guess that it's probably one of the many shell extension-type programs I have installed that's causing the crash. My question is, is there a way to easily figure out which library is causing the issue? Maybe some of the trillion functions of Process Explorer?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

hooah posted:

Why would you make your taskbar so wide, though?
Maybe he wants to see the application name?

Personally I've found that with a vertical taskbar there is narrow "sweet spot" of width at which it doesn't show app names (which I find ugly) but still shows the full-format time and date.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Daynab posted:

Is there such a program that would let me fetch covers of all my music albums over the internet, or would that be considered :filez: for some reason?
Plenty of those, and it's quite legal. CD Art Display is probably the most well-known and universal, but most decent music players (*cough* fb2k *cough*) will have plugins that will also do the job.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Oh, ok. There are several programs of that kind in this (ctrl-F "album art"), the only one I used was Album Art Downloader a while ago and it was fine.

As for fb2k, if you don't want to mess with scripting just pick one reskin you like from this guy's collection, it's what I do and in addition to making them pretty he also gives giant point-and-click customisation options.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Frankly, I'm going to say that if you already purchased a license to this music and lost access to it through no fault of your own, it would be morally all right for you to download a copy from whatever :filez: source you found most convenient.

I know this isn't terribly helpful, but I tried looking for DRM removal tools (including some forum sources I trust) and found largely the same results as you did, so this is what I would honestly recommend.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

The Dregs posted:

This link from the OP is good and dead:

Useful Windows Software - plushpuffin's list of Windows Freeware and other useful software

Anyone know of a similar list of nice software and aps for windows 7?

NeoWin's freeware alternative list is all I've needed for the past year or so.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

It DOES rename them, it's just that the Explorer window doesn't get immediately updated for some reason (so still a bug, but nowhere near as serious).

If you refresh the page or check the file properties (Alt+Enter), you'll see that the new capitalisation was in fact recorded.

EDIT: Actually, it seems to be dependant on the view. In Details view or Content view it updates immediately after renaming. So maybe it's WAI, to prevent possible confusion from reordering in tiled-style views?

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 27, 2012

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Incidentally, who replies to automated expiration reminders? :raise:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

WastedJoker posted:

What's a good alternative for windows search?

I'm using windows 7 and want something that'll only index when I tell it to.

Everything

Locate32

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Install Gentoo posted:

Yeah but you download them when you need them. Additionally, most of the time a new computer comes with all of those installed by the OEM.
Not if you just installed Windows 7 on a Mac, as this guy probably did. Or if you built your own PC. Or if you had a small shop build it for you. And so on.

Also, there's a reason the term "bloatware" exists. When OEMs install crap beyond the OS and drivers on a computer, it often ranges from the stunningly useless (lovely proprietary assistance or content management software) to the shockingly suboptimal (trial versions of whatever antivirus bribed the OEM, Adobe PDF Reader, horrible media players with 90s interfaces that nobody uses, etc.).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

The inner workings of Windows memory management are pretty esoteric, and in Windows 7 the general advice is "set your page file to 2GB or half of your RAM and don't mess with it any further". And just because PerfMon says 68% used doesn't mean the rest of it isn't being employed for caching or something (get Sysinternals' Process Explorer and look at its View -> System Information window for more detailed data). I'm not sure about how much of that applies to Vista, though.

Some things you could try, but do test the effects of each (and use Process Explorer as I mentioned earlier):
- Reduce the size of your page file, to like 1GB or even less
- Make a RAMDisk and put a page file on it

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Both of those were tips that used to have some effect back in the XP days, when memory management wasn't nearly as efficient, particularly towards the end of its cycle when hardware picked up and huge RAM sizes became the norm.

Since I don't know whether Vista's management is closer to XP's or 7's (I skipped that one), I'm figuring it might be worth a try, since if there's no performance improvement it just takes a reboot to go back to the default configuration.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

AnimalChin posted:

http://www.shsc.info/UsefulWindowsSoftware (from the OP) is a dead link.

Is there another good resource goons like?
My Bible:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/934274-freeware-alternative-list/

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

System Restore also encompasses the shadow copy Previous Versions feature, which is definitely an occasional life-saver and totally worth granting it a generous amount of HDD space.

Windows Search, on the other side, I only ever use to look for stuff within the files of a specific folder. When I need to look for a file name across the whole system, which is far more common, MBR-based tools like Everything are stupidly more efficient.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Oh! In that case, this page has the basic info about how to use System Image Recovery when booting from an install disc (i.e. when the OS is thoroughly borked):

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/675-system-image-recovery.html

If even that doesn't work, that unfortunately suggests that your backup is borked. If only system files are damaged, you could try booting from e.g. an Ubuntu live-DVD (I think Ubuntu can read NTFS?) and then browsing the C: drive from there and look for the documents.

In the future, if you need to make backups from you which you want to browse and pick individual files, I recommend DriveImageXML.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Having those files unhidden shouldn't really cause any functional problems. If you're annoyed at seeing them, just do a search for all files names "thumbs.db" and "desktop.ini", select them all and hide them; outside of the system folders those are pretty much the only ones you're likely to see.

That said, if it really were a malware infection that caused the issues (no offence meant but it REALLY sounds like a user accident), I would back up all your non-executable data, wipe the system drive and reinstall Windows, just as standard operating procedure.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

At this point I want to know what Winamp skin Nubcakes was running. I'm betting it was something like this:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Hey guys, I want to do the following:

- Select a bunch of files through various subfolders
- Set their "Last modified" timestamp to be equal to their creation timestamp

Is there any easier way to do this than hammering out a Python script?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

If JA2 uses DirectX it will not work with Remote Desktop.

I see it exists for Linux, so I would just make a live Ubuntu DVD or USB pendrive and put the game on it. You'll have to reboot each time, but there will be no traces of the game on your work laptop.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Windows 7's mirror is a RAID 1 software emulation as far as I know, and I don't believe it's possible to do a regular RAID between an internal drive and an external one (maybe an eSATA external).

I'm sure there's third-party software that can somehow handle it despite the gigantic bandwidth difference. Just to be clear, though, are you absolutely sure that you want a mirror and not a backup?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Freaksaus posted:

I started using F.lux last week (man I should've done this earlier) and I can't seem to get it to work on my second monitor. There don't seem to be any sort of settings for this and I can't find anything on their website either. Does anyone know of a way to get it to work on both monitors?
It works on both monitors for me, no fiddling was required, and they're even connected to different graphic cards. Are you on Windows 7?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Cwapface posted:

All I really need is a program that launches on startup and runs in the background and just copy-pastes the whole of drive E: onto drive F: every few days, automatically overwriting whatever's already there.
Any backup software will easily do this, then. Cobian Backup would be a good start.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I need a defrag program that is (a) able to defragment specific folders; (b) not as ridiculously slow as Defraggler.

Ideas?

e: never mind, found it already (thanks NeoWin!). AusLogics Disk Defrag, for those who care. Took 3 minutes 24 seconds while Defraggler would have taken two hours at the rate it was going.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 22, 2012

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

DriveImageXML can also do partition -> partition imaging, and supports VSS so it can read your OS partition as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

IrfanView, press B, look for Advanced Options.