Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm sure this has been asked in this thread a few times already, but if I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 8 last year, and I want to do a fresh install is the only way to go about it by doing a fresh install of 8, and then upgrading again? Or do I have a windows 10 key somewhere that I can find, and then do a fresh install via USB, and plug that key in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Toast Museum posted:

You can just do a clean install of Windows 10. There's a record of your device from when you activated the first time. No need to enter a key.

Can you elaborate? Do I just DL windows 10 to a usb, and install it or what?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Arsten posted:

You can do it this way with a USB installer. But an easier way is to go to the Settings App -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Reset this PC -> Reset This PC -> Remove Everything to get back to an almost completely vanilla state. (Updated drivers stay and get reinstalled upon first boot).

So if i put windows 10 onto a USB, and boosted into it and reinstalled windows, it would never ask for a cd key on my install based on my hardware configuration being tied to a legit key?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I guess I could just do the reset, I guess I'm just used to things like upgrading to a new version of Windows instead of doing a full install being the worse option. I figured a fresh clean install would be a better option than doing the reset based on how things have worked with Windows in the past.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I guess this thread makes the most sense. What would you put on a 70 year olds computer to try and proof it from spyware/ malware? For the life of me I can't seem to get my parents to understand what are safe links to click on vs sketch poo poo. I put on malware bytes, ublock origins and adblock. Anything else that is recommended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Is Windows 11 safe/ worth upgrading to at this point? It's been a while, and I hope the kinks are worked out. I'm considering doing a Windows reset tomorrow, and if I do I might consider just doing the upgrade to 11 at the same time. My main use is gaming.