Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
My SSD died and while I wait for it to arrive, I want to do a clean install of Windows 7 and SP1 and setup all my programs on it so I can make an image of it using Acronis, then image it onto the new SSD when it gets here.

What would be the best way to do this? Make a new partition on my storage drive, install Windows 7 on there and do whatever I need to do? Or is there some other, more convenient way like using a VM? (I have no experience using these)

and is there any way to list changes I've made to Windows settings? I've had this install since Windows 7 came out so I doubt I remember all the stuff I've changed

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Lately I've been getting quite significant and visible tearing on videos in VLC regardless of format. I haven't updated codecs or drivers recently. Anyone know what might be causing this?

This poo poo is a nightmare, it took me hours to get 24fps films to play smoothly. It could probably be so many things that it's kind of hard to point to a specific without knowing what filters (renderer, decoder, etc.) what encodes, what screen refresh rate and probably more.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Running CCCP on a HD5750 at 1280x720@60Hz through a Sony BRAVIA KDL-32BX300. It has just started happening out of the blue, like I said I haven't changed anything recently. It happens on old DivX3 AVIs, XviDs, ancient MPEGs, MP4s, MKVs, everything I throw at it, both windowed and fullscreen.

CCCP :negative:

Does VLC have a Direct3D Fullscreen setting? I've not used it in a long time. Honestly can't imagine any reason for not using Media Player Classic - Home Cinema and then grabbing madvr to render

When you say anything do you mean 'anything on the entire computer'? (video drivers etc.) or 'anything to do with VLC'

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 21, 2012

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Having codec packs all over the place just causes problems, especially when you can use MPCHC which comes with all the decoders you need.

If VLC has an option to choose a different renderer, madvr specifically, you might not need to change to MPCHC. You can just change to that and use madvr's built in decoders.

Since I haven't used VLC for such a long time I don't know what renderer it uses by default, but if its one of the EVR variations that MPCHC uses then no matter what I tried I couldn't get anything to play without tearing in that, madvr was the only thing that worked for me.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Pilsner posted:

Windows Explorer is bar none the worst piece of poo poo software from Microsoft.

It's crazy to think they still haven't even put tabs into Explorer for Windows 8. Tabs were easily one of the best UI things for computers for ages, they have them in Internet Explorer even. They should be in everything by now.

A free tabbed Explorer addon that's just that, nothing but a tab addon with no extra garbage for Windows 7 would be great.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 4, 2012

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
One thing that stops me going to Chrome from Firefox is there is no about:config so you can't disable the disk cache and have it cache everything in RAM instead.

Is Opera a poo poo browser? Nobody ever mentions that fucker for Windows. Always Chrome or Firefox

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
What free drive imaging software is there that can exclude folders from an image backup? I know Acronis can do this but I'd rather not have to rely on that because if I lose my license poo poo I'm hosed, I'd much rather rely on something free I can always get access to. Hopefully something with recovery media and one that can run on a schedule too and should be able to do it through Windows, too.

Tried Windows Backup and Macrium so far, neither can do it.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 16, 2012

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Other filters that can do this: AC3Filter and LAVAudio (part of LAVFilters)

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
MirandaIM is good and has dozens of plugins for all kind of stupid poo poo you'll probably never need. Jump in.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I'm pretty sure all the better online and offline free imaging software can make USB boot disks: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-imaging-program.htm

I expect some of them will be Windows 8 by now.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

IT Guy posted:

What is the goon recommended software for mounting ISO/IMG files and virtual CD drives?

I currently use Daemon Tools Free but every time I go to download it and install it, I have to wear a hazmat suit just to avoid infection.

http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/

You just double click any image file and it's mounted instantly.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
You can just store them on your media PC and play them over the network using foobar.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
When remoting in to your home PCs are you leaving them running 24/7 or do you have them in sleep and use Wake On LAN and auto sleep after they've been idle for a while?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I was mainly looking at it to save power, can't be leaving my main computer on 24/7. There are websites that let you send a magic packet over WAN and shouldn't you be able to wake up devices from sleep using a VPN on a router?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Cloning is copying your install from your current drive to a new, fresh one immediately. If you want to do it before hand, you would make an Image of your current install and put that on a backup drive, then when your new one gets here you plug it in and boot from the recovery media of whichever software you are using and then Image it onto the new drive.

Windows Backup can Image, I don't think it can Clone. If you start Windows Backup there are two bits on the left; Create system image and Create system repair disk.

If you can't or don't want to use Windows Backup there is a list of free software here: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-imaging-program.htm

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

cat doter posted:

So I'm using Macrium Reflect to make an image of my primary hard drive, and I can use windows backup to restore this image on to whatever hard drive I want? Will it boot from the hard drive I restore the image on to? I've never cloned a drive or used windows backup so I'm a bit clueless.

Macrium Reflect should have an option to Create Recovery Media, when your new drive gets here and you've got it plugged in, you'd boot into the Macrium recovery media you made and then put your image onto your new drive from where ever you had it saved. I don't know if Macrium Reflect backups are compatible with Windows Backup, probably not. You should stick with one software, Macrium or Windows Backup - not both.

Basically your steps will look like this no matter what you're using:

1) Install software
2) Create recovery media
3) Create an image of your Windows install, save it somewhere
4) Power down, install new drive
4a) You might have to boot into your old Windows install here and format your new drive in Windows to make sure it's ready. It's been a while so I don't know if your recovery media will do this for you.
5) Boot from recovery media
6) Follow steps in recovery media to image over the backup you made in Step 3 onto your new drive
7) Boot into Windows, choosing your new install over the old one
8) Format old drive

Here is a guide I used to learn from when I was doing this with Acronis: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=85344
Acronis isn't free but if you ignore the Parted Magic steps the whole process might make more sense to you. You'd just be doing the same steps in a different software.

This is a long rear end video but it looks like he covers every step for Macrium Reflect specifically; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWM79HCzdDA

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
It's a shot in the dark but did you check the SATA cables? I had a similar problem where the drive would stop working and disappear under heavy loads, couldn't back anything up until it eventually disappeared. I thought it was dying but I just messed around with the SATA cables, maybe tried a different port or cable, don't remember, it started working fine again.

Otherwise you can try imaging it in offline mode by creating rescue media for something like Macrium Reflect. When you boot into it you can normally go through the image process from there instead of in Windows.

Otherwise you can try backing stuff up a little at a time, gonna take you forever but if you got important documents you can do them and save as many settings files as you can or take screenshots of your settings and do a fresh install.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe this will help: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q223188

Otherwise, you might be able to change the drive letter using Parted Magic: http://www.wikihow.com/Change-the-Active-Partition-of-Your-Hard-Disk-with-Parted-Magic

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 9, 2013

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Gin_Rummy posted:

Would you recommend Daemon Tools (Lite, as I don't intend to pay for one of these) over the Microsoft branded one? I'd prefer to go with whichever is "lighter," uses less system resources, and doesn't force me to use some lovely UI.

http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/

This is far superior to Daemon Tools, you just double click an image file and it's mounted. That's it. You can double click it again to eject or right click it in My Computer.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
It's the most unassuming website, how could you possibly think that? It's even GPL.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Don't think it works on new windows but http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/manage-multiple-windows#section_4

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

fuckpot posted:

Thanks, but after years of wonkiness I am looking for something pretty much rock solid.

http://hummingbird.me/community/forums/general-discussion/topics/video-playback-guide-with-mpc-hc-and-madvr

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Maneki Neko posted:

Was looking to record what was happening on my screen & PC audio. I'll take a look at these suggestions, thanks!

MSI Afterburner

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
MirandaIM supremacy

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Is Rufus a better alternative to http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ ?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Not even remotely. You linked to a live-image maker. Rufus replaces basically all other boot disk makers (like UNetBootIn or Linux Live USB Creator or UBCD or ... I guess you could get Universal USB Installer from your link but that's not how your post reads).

I've used PenDriveLinux in the past to make a bootable USB flash drive that had Acronis, PartedMagic and some random thing like SSD firmware. When you booted into it you were given a menu and you could choose which one you ran. I thought that Rufus might be something similar after just glancing at the site quickly.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Can anyone recommend a password manager other than KeePass? Looking for a free one hopefully, but may pay a one off fee if it isn't too much. Hopefully one with a better android app and browser integration than KeePass. ChromeIPass is p bad and the sync plugin with google drive is pretty janky. Would like Autofill in Windows programs and offline access on Android too. KeePass is ok but I'm looking for something a bit better, I used LastPass before but cant really remember why I stopped but I remember the browser extension was much better and you have to pay for the mobile app now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

GokieKS posted:

I switched from KeePass to Dashlane, and while it is subscription based with an annual fee if you want syncing, I don't regret it for a second - it works on every platform that I need (Windows, OS X, Android, iOS) with a consistent UI and features, and the mobile apps are really nice (Touch ID integration on iOS, automatic login to apps on Android).

Quite a bit more expensive than LastPass and no application autofill :(. Has anyone tried PasswordBox Premium? Owned by Intel it seems and free for now at least.

I wish the KeePass browser plugin wasn't such poo poo. It doesn't work on half the pages no matter what I put in URL field but the KeePass autotype does, sometimes it doesn't save passwords properly or even give a prompt to save it so I have to put them in manually and then it just automatically saves them in the KeePass Http category without giving an option. The Google Drive plugin just seems hacky, doesn't sync until the computer is turning off so the prompt gets missed half the time and I never turn my PC off anymore and sleep instead and the fact you have to press Yes on a prompt is annoying too, it should just autosync

Maybe instead of randomly generated passwords I should just go back to using one password with some extra characters relating to the website I'm logging into rather than messing around