Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Apologies if this is really basic or if it's been dealt with here before. I did my due diligence with search, both here and on Google. I either can't find the exact situation, or when I do, the proposed solution doesn't work.

I just built my new system with Win 7 Home Premium. When I'm copying files from a CD or DVD-ROM, it gives me a hassle window saying I don't have permission, but will let me click through to save to a folder. But I have to do this every time I copy something.

Odder still, when trying to save something like an image from the web, it won't let me, again saying I don't have admin rights, and would I like to save to My Documents. Despite these problems, it allows me to install games and such.

My account is the admin account. I've gone in and given every user type full permissions, still nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

rolleyes posted:

That sounds very... odd. Have you messed about with permissions or security policy at any point?

Only after the problem.

quote:

Also, when you say your account is "the admin account" do you mean it's an account with administrator privileges or that you're actually logging in as "Administrator"? If it's the second option then that is probably the cause of at least some of your problems.

The latter. I never had to do this poo poo with the last three operating systems.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

lazer_chicken posted:

The reason for permissions is not to fight you, it's to fight malware and malicious/idiotic users. If you have 100% complete access to everything on the system, what happens when a piece of malware gets on your system from some javascript or flash exploit? It inherits all of those same privileges and can mess with any files for any reason with no restrictions. This is how it was on windows 95/98/2k/xp and that's why viruses could completely infect those systems without giving any hint at all that they were there.

Also, believe it or not, many computers are used for multiple users. If every user had full permissions to everything, then what's to stop an rear end in a top hat user from deleting your poo poo or purposely making the system unbootable?

I understand those reasons, but I or my wife have always been the only people with access to our computers. I've used Win 3.11, 95, XP, and 7 on my wife's netbook over a period of a decade and never had a single problem (or if I did, the attacker did a brilliant job of hiding their exploits).

Yeah, these are great features, but during the installation, I think it could be more clear about how you should create accounts. Maybe it was and I just didn't pay attention. It would hardly be the first time I've done something stupid, but it is the first time I've been cock-blocked by an OS.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

lazer_chicken posted:

Microsoft doesn't write operating systems for Mr. Overconfident Power User, they write them for Mr. Clicks Pop-Up Ads and Mr. Never Installs Updates. The vast majority of users need the OS to tell them "WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO DO IS A HORRIBLE IDEA."

If I was a power user, I wouldn't have hosed this up in the first place. :) "Overconfident"? Maybe, but it wasn't like I was loving around with the registry or actively disabling stuff. I just wanted to save files in a folder of my choice.

quote:

Also, it's folly to think that because you've "never had an issue" in the past decade, that's somehow proof that you won't in the future.

I don't think I implied that and I certainly didn't mean to if I did. I do my updates, use anti-virus, and run anti-malware software regularly.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

My wife has a netbook running Windows 7 Starter. It has one gig of RAM and it's a netbook, so needless to say, it's not the speediest thing in the world.

My understanding from searching around here and elsewhere is that ReadyBoost is only useful for systems with one gig or less. Her netbook can be upgraded to two gigs, though the cheapest module I can find on Newegg is $48.

With that said:
*Would she see an increase in performance using a flash drive and ReadyBoost? If so, how big a flash drive makes the most sense?
*Am I correct in assuming that the upgrade to two gigs would give a greater performance boost than a flash drive and ReadyBoost?
*And also, I assume that if it was upgraded to two gigs, there would no longer be any point (if there ever was one) in using ReadyBoost....