Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Warlords III requires Windows XP to play, and preferably Windows 98. The Windows XP mode in Windows 7 doesn't work, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

For tagging music, I've found MP3Tag to be useful and easy to but use. Bulk updates are nice, and easier than using the Properties window in Windows. For years I saved my MP3s as Artist.Album.TrackNumber.SongName.mp3, but a few songs break the Windows file name length limit using this convention.

Thanks Rob Zombie: every song title should be 100 words long.. At any rate, just tagging the files makes this easier to maintain, at least for me.

Edit: for clarification.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 25, 2015

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Is there any way to remove the annoying Skype "home page" on Skype for Desktop? It always looks weird to me to have some quirky young female actress adjusting a webcame half-looking at me.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

c0burn posted:

Try adding https://apps.skype.com/ to the restricted zone in Internet Options.

That worked! Thank you!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I'm trying to upgrade my Clevo P150EM from Windows 8.1 Pro, and while Windows 10 installs, it fails on boot.

I figure I'll do a clean install using the USB media approach. Upon creating it, the Windows media creator reminds me to have my product key handy. How on earth do I find out my Windows 10 product key, when I'm upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks. I was going to try a fresh install of 8.1 next using my recovery media. I can almost guarantee its the kludgy drivers from Clevo. Their hot key software breaks the wifi connection if you install the drivers in the wrong order, for goodness sake.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Twerk from Home posted:

Bitlocker, Hyper-V, and remote desktop? I'm sure there's some other stuff.

Strangely, my Toshiba Encore 2 Write never had the Pro version installed, but still had Bitlocker enabled. I couldn't access any Bitlocker settings, but there's a Bitlocker key for it in my Microsoft Account. Upgrading to Windows 10, the drive still seems to be encrypted. Is there a weird tablet SKU?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Believe Audacity can convert WAV to MP3.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's not like it'll be worth the effort to use the 160 GB SSD as extra fast storage for Windows stuff with a 500 GB main SSD.
This may only hold true until the Steam holiday sale, of course.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

For Office 365 subscriptions, how can it tell if I'm installing on a PC/laptop or a tablet? I have the same Windows 10 on my Sager laptop as on my Toshiba Encore 2 Write tablet.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

But its free for commercial use, I think.

On an unrelated note, can anyone help by describing how I can configure an Asus RT-N66U home wireless router to prioritize VOIP traffic for Skype for Business? I work from home a lot, and am trying to do anything I can to help the audio quality. Teamspeak, Mumble, and normal Skype are all fine, so it may not be fixable on my end, but I'm willing to give anything a shot.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 12, 2015

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Read posted:

I think (?) you want this video but I've never messed with QoS before since I've never had a decent router.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2rsUDIsx_w

I was able to figure out where to go in the admin console. What I can't seem to find is what protocol and ports Skype for Business uses.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I just installed Outlook 2016, and it refuses to connect to my Outlook.com account. I provide my email address (name@outlook.com) and my password in the Outlook pop-up box, but it never resolves.

Has anyone experienced this and determined how to resolve it? My Outlook.com account works fine in the built-in Mail app and via the web interface.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Maneki Neko posted:

I just tried mine and it seemed to work properly. Outlook 2016 requires autodiscover now (where other versions did not), but I'd assume Microsoft already had that setup.

Crap. I hope this doesn't mean I have to call Microsoft Support. It's hell as a consumer to even find a link. :negative:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Wiseblood posted:

I had to reinstall Office 2016 and tried to automatically set up my Outlook.com e-mail and after a few minutes it tried to set it up as POP3 for some reason.

I went and manually set up an ActiveSync account. (m.hotmail.com for the server).

That wasn't working before, but I'll try again later.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

In Microsoft Edge on Windows 10, folders in a Favorites menu open in a sidebar on the right-hand side of the screen, rather than just expanding into a sub-menu like in every other browser I've ever used. Is there a way to make Edge behave in that way? Slinging my mouse across a large monitor takes far more time.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Every time I go to login to Windows 10 one of the disability aids pops up and my laptop starts talking to me. It's annoying as poo poo. How do I tell Windows that I'm not disabled, now or ever, and I don't want assistance typing in my password?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Cactus Jack posted:

Have you checked in ease of access? Sounds like narrator or closed captions is on.

I found a thread on Microsoft Support Forums with the same issue. It seems to be tied to using the letter 'u' in a password, of all things. People were blaming HP, but my laptop isn't an HP, so :iiam:.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

c0burn posted:

Well windows+U is the accessibility shortcut. Maybe your key is sticky!

Nope, though pressing the Windows key usually turns off the stupid prompt.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Medullah posted:

What are you trying to install? Look on Ninite to see if it's available there.

You can't download a trial directly from Stardock anyomre?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I have a large (5000+ page) PDF file with 1 or 2 pages (variable) each dedicated to a particular employee. The employee's ID is on the first page.

Is there any software that can automatically break up that file into the ~3000 sets of 1-2 pages for each employee, and name the resulting output file based on the employee ID (a text string) in the PDF page?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I have a question regarding Xmarks. Firefox, IE11, and Chrome all store bookmarks in the toolbar in folders that are named differently (see below). While Xmarks can sync bookmarks across browsers, I haven't figured out how to keep the bookmarks toolbars in sync, short of a lot of manual work. Does anyone have a good solution to this? Google and Wikipedia don't turn up any other cross-browser bookmarks syncing tool.

Firefox - Bookmarks Toolbar
Internet Explorer 11 - Favorites Bar
Chrome - Bookmarks bar

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Despoiler posted:

This might sound like a bizarre request, but hear me out -

One of my favorite programs is AutoHotKey. I recently started work at a new company and was denied permission to install AHK on my machine because IT claimed it had bundled spyware and all their protection software considers it malicious. Additionally, they're wary of "free" programs because "nothing is free" and they would actually prefer that I find an alternative that they have to pay for! Is there any paid program out there that has AHK's feature set? Basically i just like to rebind unused keys to max/min windows, or do simple tasks like type XYZ, press enter, press 1, press enter.

Sounds like AHK needs a fork that is source code only, and you pay $5 to have it compiled.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Vulture Culture posted:

Pidgin's basically it as far as unofficial clients go. I guess Miranda and stuff are still around, but why?

Any good Pidgin alternative that doesn't peg the CPU constantly?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Entropic posted:

Your mistake was trying to use Edge in the first place.

Other than the lack of plugins, what's wrong with Edge?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

That Mail app is weird. It completely refuses to recognize my daughters account, even though she's logged in as herfself. It's not a two-factor authentication thing, even.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I really hate how they're separate from OneDrive.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

syntaxfunction posted:

I have an Android smartphone (Moto X Style), but I really don't want to use iTunes or Chrome (I like Firefox). I was hoping there would be a way to remotely control without needing a bunch of extra programs. It's not really a hassle, I was just curious to see if it could be done with the standard Groove Music interface, but it appears you can't. Ah well.

I use Groove on my Samsung Note 5 all the time. Music is all loaded on OneDrive, and it works great.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I stopped using Avast after it made two separate Windows installs unbootable. It managed to corrupt one of its own pre-boot scanner files, and the drives were encrypted, so...yeah.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

I'm looking for something that makes printing pictures easy.

It needs to be able to crop images to the correct aspect ratio for common photo printing sizes as well as printing those sizes on larger paper sizes if I want. Any other functionality is not required, but I don't care if it can do other things as long as they don't get in the way of doing that.

paint.net is kind of alright because it opens the old windows photo printing dialog, but AFAICT, it lacks the ability to crop to aspect ratios. Also, the windows photo printing dialog is kind of limited...like I can't select to print a wallet size and a 4x6 on one sheet of paper.

Would Snagit work?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

I can't seem to find anything online about printing with Snagit, only stuff about printing to Snagit...

You can resize images easily enough, and then print to a printer. Check out the trial version. I do little with photographs and so probably don't understand your use cases but I use it daily for screenshots.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

c0burn posted:

What's the best password manager that supports both android (chrome) and windows (firefox) and is free or if paid, really worth the :10bux:? There's so many and I want some goon input.

I'm a huge fan of LastPass.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Whizbang posted:

LastPass keeps having security problems and being laissez-faire about them, I'd recommend Keepass instead.

Are you referring to the bookmarklet issue, or the time they detected a few kB of network traffic they couldn't explain?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

OSI bean dip posted:

Twice reported, that is correct. Twice reported, twice that they've detected something. Twice is too many for a service of its kind.

https://blog.lastpass.com/2015/06/lastpass-security-notice.html/ (June 2015)
https://blog.lastpass.com/2011/05/lastpass-security-notification.html/ (May 2011)

And then vulnerabilities:

https://grepular.com/LastPass_Vulnerability_Exposes_Account_Details (Feb 2011)
https://github.com/gfoss/LastPass-xss-payload (April 2014)
http://www.businessinsider.com/security-expert-describes-lastpass-vulnerabilities-posted-to-pastebin-in-2013-2015-6 (June 2015)
http://news.softpedia.com/news/lastpass-vulnerable-to-extremely-simple-phishing-attack-499023.shtml (January 2016)

And I am just scraping the surface of its problems. It's a garbage solution and the suggestion that you should use it means that you haven't given any thought to how it works.

The soft pediatric article is pretty weak. If an attacker has man-in-the-middle access and the user is on a site vulnerable to XSS, then the assailant can use a phishing attack.

Guess what:everything is vulnerable that way.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

jyrka posted:

What's the best free pdf editor?

Whichever one has never patched a security problem and can prove it has no security problems.

Fake edit: Chrome and IE11 work well for me, though PDF I read don't have all of the fancy multimedia capabilities PDF supports.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Mr. Fix It posted:

No offense guys, but you're making a whole lot of assumptions to back up your attempt to discredit lastpass. My only assumption is that since they are doing this for money they are properly motivated to prioritize security. If Brian Krebs or other reputable security experts start trumpeting that lastpass is not secure or they're too shady, they are dead.

Have fun with your Dropbox backed password solution.

Hey, isn't Dropbox that company that exposed every single file to anybody with an Internet connection for about 24 hours a few years ago? Yeah, that was them. I'm sure having your local password database encrypted will save you from having it brute-force decrypted by the NSA though.

Look, if a technology solution involves a human being coding it, it's not secure. Full stop. Hardware-based keys: do you control the fab? It's not secure. Proprietary software: do you trust every developer, and every person with access to the source code repository, and every developer who worked on the compiler used to compile the software? It's not secure.

What we can do it take reasonable precautions against most potential threats. A car door lock will not stop a car thief with a decent tool set, but it will deter the casual joyrider. LastPass doesn't guarantee that my bank password will never be compromised, but it's still safer than leaving it on a sticky note on my keyboard, or storing it in an Excel file on a USB stick (which can be stolen), etc. Every security solution is just playing the odds, and the odds are never 100% in your favor. For some people and organizations, getting as close to 100% as possible is worth tremendous costs. See: nation-state intelligence agencies. For most people, it is not worth any cost, and you're deluding yourself if you think you're always more secure just because you're running your own hardware and software stack.

</rant>

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Does your argument fundamentally boil down to, "I think KeePass and 1Password's cryptographic implementations are more secure than LastPass'?"

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I'm not downplaying the risk at all, and am well aware of the value of information.

"It's used by Fortune 500 and is therefore a target" is fundamentally an argument for security through obscurity, which you've argued against (if memory serves ), so that's not compelling. You don't say that one cryptographic implementation is better than the other. So, what "fundamental " difference leads you to recommend one over the other?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Is there a way to setup a PIN in Windows 10 for only one device? I'm okay with a PIN for my tablet, but would prefer to keep my laptop using a real password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Sir Unimaginative posted:

They aren't per-device already?

I don't know. I don't want to enable it without knowing more, but my Google skills aren't turning up much documentation.