Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm running 7100 and I have to say, I really enjoy the general user experience however I've run into the following 2 problems.

1: Games run like poo poo.
2: Videos (both on the HD and streamed in my browser ala youtube) run like poo poo.

My system spec is as follows (until I can afford to upgrade some more)
CPU: Pentium 4 Cedar Mill 3Ghz
Motherboard: ASUS P5NSLI (with latest drivers & BIOS updates)
Optical Drive: Memorex MRX-530L
RAM: 2GB (mismatched, one's a Kingston PC2-4300@266 and one's an Apacer PC2-5300@333)
Video Card: NVidia GeForce 8600 GT 256MB with the Vista/Win7 168.18 drivers
Audio: SoundMAX HD Audio onboard (R105155 drivers)
OS HDD: Seagate Barracuda - ST3808110AS - 80GB NTFS
Secondary HDD: Maxtor MaXline Pro - 7H500F0 - 500GB NTFS

I also installed the Combined Community Codec Pack and that didn't help, video-wise.

Also might I add it was a total oval office to install because I had to both physically unplug my 500GB hard drive AND load NForce SATA/RAID drivers (that were a pain in the rear end to find) off a USB drive so it would even install onto the 80GB.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 7, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Unexpected EOF posted:

Well, first thing I notice is your terrible, mismatched, slow as gently caress RAM. That may be an issue.

Yeah I've been wondering about that being a bottleneck of sorts because it's mismatched and, as you said, slow as gently caress. Any recommendations on that front? I thought Kingston were supposed to be a decent brand but I've had this RAM for years now.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Stanley Pain posted:

Overall your system isn't that great for playing most modern games :|

What games are you trying to play?

Well, first of all, I went into services.msc and MSConfig and disabled an absolute shitload of superfluous and unnecessary services which were sucking up RAM and CPU time and now things seem to be running considerably better. Prototype still runs like poo poo but that appears to be sound related and occurred in XP too.

Games like Supreme Commander and even Homeworld 2 weer running like poo poo but the aforementioned steps seem to have fixed that issue. Same goes for the video stuttering. Apparently one of the myriad services that 7 crams into memory (or perhaps a combination thereof) was sucking down enough CPU time that it was chugging like hell. I've seen this problem posted about all over the 'net and yet what I just did wasn't suggested anywhere that I looked, yet it worked like a treat.

big mean giraffe posted:

It's actually pretty awful, the CPU and GPU are also pretty crap.

Hold on then while I conjure money out of my rear end so I can buy a liquid nitrogen cooled umpteen core hypercomputer with 64 gigs of RAM and a USB blowjob device.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 7, 2009

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Stanley Pain posted:

I'm going to pretend you didn't do that :P

Well it's not like I need the Bluetooth Support Service, Media Center Receiver, Windows Presentation Foundation, Quality Windows Audio Video Experience, the Remote Access poo poo, Telephony, Windows Error Reporting, Parental Controls or Smart Card support now, is it? :v:

quote:

I want me one of these. Moreso if it has a suck/blow switch on it ;)

Me too, brings a whole new meaning to the term dongle

big mean giraffe posted:

You could build a computer for $400 or less than ran games a lot better than the one you have now. I'm pretty sure Prototype will never run above 'crap' on a p4 system, especially with an 8600.

I have a list of upgrades I plan on getting when finances permit, I'm just going to have to get a better PSU before I do anything else, and I have my eye on this one, which has a loving shitload of amperage on the 12v rails, which would easily allow for SLI. As for Prototype, it runs better when I rename one of the game's two audio archives but I losee 60% of the game's sound, and it has a pretty atrocious memory leak too.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

Stop doing poo poo like this.

It's not like I just went in and randomly started unchecking boxes, I looked at the services individually, assessed what they were for and whether or not disabling them would cause system instability, and tried not to get too overzealous. However, surely you can't look at the services tab in MSConfig and fail to be surprised at just how many more services they crammed in that not everyone will need.

quote:

You're trying to run a game that came out less than 1 month ago on hardware that was built >5 years ago? Hmm... Let's look at this for a moment.

Yes, yes, I know. I'm trying to get by with what I have until I can update, but other financial commitments are regrettably more important than my gaming pleasure.

quote:

This has been addressed so many times, I'm starting to feel bad for the horse, even though it's been dead for quite some time now.

I can't argue against the results I personally experienced from disabling services I felt were unnecessary :shobon:

quote:

If you want to play modern, high-end games, you need to fork out the cash. You don't need a super high-end system, but getting to a modern CPU, GPU, and non-frankenRAM will make things run much more smoothly.

That's the plan. 4GB of more recent RAM will be a start, and I have been scouting around for potential upgrades for other components. Socket 775's still the cpu type du jour, right?

The Gunslinger posted:

Your videocard isn't really well suited to playing games to begin with. I'm not going to pick on you about your system specs, I understand it's a difficult economy and not everyone wants to build the god box to begin with. You really need a total system overhaul at some point in the next year but you can incrementally upgrade a few components to see better performance in games on Windows 7 right now. Grab a cheap Radeon 4870 512MB, they can be found in SA-Mart for like $65-90. If you can't find one there I've got a few laying around at work, toss me a PM if interested.

I know I've been needing it for a while.

quote:

Video stuttering is pretty common on old P4's but it could be a mixture of things. I would try GPU decoding as someone else suggested for now to start ruling things out.

No but disabling them didn't really accomplish anything either.

I don't know how or why but my performance did in fact improve afterwards.

Edit: ok, ok, bad CF for stopping services.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 7, 2009

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

-Dethstryk- posted:

If you weren't using the services, there's a good chance they were using such a minuscule amount of resources only the machine itself could notice.
Based on what metric?

Based on multiple games suddenly working as intended, and video no longer stuttering?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The Gunslinger posted:

Either way, you seem to understand you need a system upgrade at some point in the future if you really want better performance so let's leave it at that.

Agreed. :) So how 'bout that Aero Shake huh

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Is there some way of restoring the XP style "Picture and Fax Viewer" so that I can open .gifs without it loading IE?

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 22, 2009

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Lum posted:

^^^ Right click a GIF, Open With, Choose default program, pick "Windows Photo Viewer" and tick "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"

Great, thanks. Another quick question though, will it play animated .gif images properly or will IE or another image viewer still be necessary there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Lum posted:

I believe the Windows Photo Viewer can't play animated GIFs, which probably explains why IE is the default.

Oh well, it's not critically important so I can live with it. Thanks again.