Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Hrochard posted:

I've been having nagging sound issues in W7. I have an Audigy 2. I installed the latest Creative drivers (2.18.0010), which promptly crashed my system upon reboot. So then I download the previous drivers (2.12.0002) and ran them in Vista compatibility mode, and they're working. However, music and other sound sources constantly "click" throughout.

Is anyone running an Audigy (or Audigy 2) without problems? If so, what drivers are you using?

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=139702#M139702

I have an Audigy 2 ZS running on Build 7100x64 using the above drivers without any problems at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Sniep posted:

Lumb, i've also had problems recently with sleep in windows 7, my netbook used to sleep happy as a baby but now every time i close the lid it blue screens.

Nothing's changed other than windows updates as far as I know, but if anyone else has similar experience I'd love to hear it.

No problems on my end, but I've been following the pre-SP1 Windows 7 hotfixes and there's about a half-dozen different fixes for various elements of sleep and hibernation, including multiple crashes. You should see some relief after SP1.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

spasticColon posted:

Does SP1 fix any major issues or boost performance in any way? If not, I'll just wait until it shows up on Windows Update on Wednesday.

Besides the usual dozens of obscure fixes, SP1 has lots of fixes for:

1) printer issues
2) crashes/bluescreens
3) hibernation/sleep issues

There's also a minor memory leak or two closed, but those are the big three I can think of for the average user.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Thanks for the heads-up on the sale.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Is there a separate Windows 7 Tablet edition, or does any old version of 7 have Tablet PC support? I'd like to buy a copy of this Windows 7 Pro upgrade offer for students, but I'm not sure if it will be useful for the Asus EEE Slate tablet I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I've got an Excel spreadsheet full of personal data. What my employer wants is to import that information to their existing website and make it searchable and filterable, so that researchers can search for all guys named Steve, filter out all guys who died in year X or were born in city Y, etc. Nothing more complicated than that.

Something like this is what I was thinking:

http://legionmagazine.com/en/index.php/last-post/

It has an alphabetical index, search fields, and filter boxes, so I think that's basically what I want. If it matters, we're dealing with about 600 subjects, and about 40 fields per subject.

My employers say a database program would solve this, and for now I'm taking them at their word unless you tell me they're wrong. But I don't even really know what a database is in terms of software, let alone if they're right in saying such a program is what is needed to put this online. I'm familiar with Excel, but not much beyond that.

Could anyone suggest what software I need to make this happen? The main criteria are that it must be:

a) simple - they don't need to do a lot here (it seems to me), and extra features would probably just make it more complex. No scripts or programming or what have you, because the people who will eventually need to maintain it don't know much of that, nor do I. There's no ecommerce or social media addons required. Manageable to a staff that is not high on tech skills is by far the most important factor.

b) inexpensive - this is a non-profit I'm working for so lower cost would be appreciated. Still, if it has to be spent, the money can probably be found.

c) Windows-based - everyone in the office is running PCs, which is why I'm in this thread.

I'd appreciate a more talking-to-someone-clueless sort of answer, if at all possible. Thanks in advance.