Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Are Tracking Protection Lists out for IE9 yet? I want to ditch Chrome to the point that I almost started writing an AdBlock BHO this week (until I read about this new feature).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there a good way to get my C:\Users directory onto D:\ when the install is a few hours/days old? Moving the Documents/Pictures/etc libraries is a piecemeal solution and I have a feeling symlinks/junctions will get ugly fast. This is mostly in the name of simplyfying my backups because I hate having my work documents in two places at once.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My new build is going to happen just after the free upgrade ends. If I upgraded a machine from 8.1 to 10 is there any way to transfer my 10 license? I've already priced in an OEM license so no big deal if not.

Also did anyone ever bother with Storage Spaces or am I better off doing RAID1 via my motherboard?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Klyith posted:

Why not simple volume mirroring in software, via disk management?
That doesn't work with BitLocker, which I'm trying to use on every drive that will host something besides Crashplan archives or movies too big to fit anywhere else.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does the Windows 10 setup tool format sticks in UEFI? I can boot off them in Secure Boot but I keep finding pages telling me to use the base ISO and Rufus.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah I just did a UEFI install last week since Secure Boot worked, but long story short I had to secure erase my Samsung drive after installing Win10 in order to enable Encrypted Drive. Now I'm installing it with CSM completely disabled and a stick that I assume based on these guides is idiot-proofed to only install via UEFI. At this point the only thing that could go wrong is if all secure erase utilities are not equal, since Samsung writes theirs assuming you can un-cable the drive and I can't safely do that with an M2, leaving me to use the one on my motherboard.

loving hell hardware assisted encryption should not be this much of a pain in the rear end.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

All of this. I picked up a 64GB USB3 drive at MicroCenter last year for $30.
I have to stop going to NCIX because every time I do I buy between 32 and 64GB of flash drives like they were checkout aisle candy bars.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Honestly I'd be fine with Home if it had unrestricted BitLocker since I long ago gave up the foolish idea to build a domain just to enforce encryption on Windows Phone 8.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Unless it's changed from the 7/8 days:

Sleep: Lower power state, can be woken up with a key press, everything is still in RAM and powered. Instant resume but uses most battery/wall power.
Shutdown: Everything not written to disk is off, OS starts from a cold boot. No power use.
Hybrid sleep: State between sleep and hibernation. Lower power than sleep but still non-zero. No one really uses this anymore / distinguishes it from sleep since SSDs made it more efficient to just hibernate.
Hibernate: Contents of RAM written out to disk. System must be started with the power button but everything is reloaded when the computer starts up. No power usage but requires space equal to your RAM available on disk. A security risk if you don't encrypt your drive as the hibernation file could be extracted and read and thus expose credentials / crypto keys / etc. Unless you have work in progress and need to power off for whatever reason a cold boot is roughly as fast.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

GreatGreen posted:

Yes, actually. In Windows 7 I found everything I searched for that was actually there just by typing any string of characters the file or folder contained. Windows 10 can't even find "c:\folder\anotepadfile.txt" even if you start your search in "c:\folder\" and your search string is "anotepadfile".

It's so useless I'm actually wondering if the way you're supposed to search stuff has drastically changed or something and I'm doing it wrong. Serious question, what can Windows 10 Search find, exactly? And how do you go about using it? Is there some special super secret syntax you're supposed to use?
There's a particular file you delete so it rebuilds the index and then search should work fine. I had this problem on my latest build but since it's clear you need as much help searching as your computer does I'll let you find the instructions on your own.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Anony Mouse posted:

Windows Defender? Is it actually effective?
I don't really get why people are surprised by this. AV products have always done very intrusive things to an OS in the name of security and are very loud about it so you feel you're getting your money's worth. Meanwhile Microsoft, who write the OS, somehow shock people by knowing how to protect it with a product that actually conforms to Windows best practises and is somehow too quiet when nothing bad has happened.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
CBC is still using Flash for the Olympics this year after CTV did a brilliant job with Silverlight in 2012.

Pooperscooper posted:

I just built a new computer with Windows 10 and it looks like it has a built in anti virus which is essentials. Is that good enough or is there a standard recommendation for new install anti virus/spyware?
Windows Defender is the standard.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Not sure I have a solution but why DriveBender instead of vanilla Storage Spaces?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Hoping someone can provide a different perspective or solution for this:

My family's PC runs a backup solution that requires access to a network drive, and Plex. I could move the network drive to a direct USB connection and change how it's mapped for everyone else, and Plex has a service wrapper that looks a bit janky, but it would be much easier to just log on and lock the account that runs them both whenever the PC reboots from updates. I've found a group policy that will let me log-in and lock the last interactive user when a PC reboots, but the account I need to do that with is actually the least likely to be the last interactive user (I remote in via SSH + RDP to provide tech support). Is there any way to tweak that policy to always fire for a specific account (like making the object for a single account via snap-in) or another way that isn't woefully insecure? It's just a local admin account with no Microsoft services attached, so I could dial security down for reliability if I really had to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Plex is apparently weird with updates if you use the service wrapper but I could get around to it. The backup has a start/stop .vbs or .bat (I forget which) so that might work.

The more elegant solution might just be to promote one of the family accounts so if they notice Plex is out they log in by themselves. The backup notifies me after three days and barely ever changes, so I could fix that whenever. Or maybe leave them as Users and teach them Run As just for Plex....