Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

Essobie posted:

A couple of quick questions/gripes that hopefully one of you many helpful folks can hook me up with some solutions:

1) When I open Computer it automatically expands all the little shortcuts and bullshit under my User account name... more than half of which will bark at you that access is denied if you try to click on them. The main problem I have with this is that when I open an Explorer window what I want to see on the left side is a bunch of things I can single click on that take me to where I want to go--things like my C: Drive. Or my D: Drive. Or any other drive.

But because of this gargantuan list of things I can't even click on, the things I WANT to click on are pushed all the way to the bottom of the view. I find myself collapsing my User links every time I open Explorer and it's an extra click I can do without. It doesn't expand if you collapse it and then open a new Explorer, but the second you look in Documents or Pictures or anything that there is a shortcut on my User list to, it will expand that list (and then keep expanding until I collapse it again later).

I tried highlighting my User Name in the Explorer window and hitting Delete. It asks if I'm sure I want to delete "Essobie" from my Desktop, and that if I do and want to get it back simply re-enable it in Personalization under Control Panel. I think, cool... I'll just remove it totally. Hit Delete and... nothing happens. I guess that sort of makes sense since technically there isn't an icon on my actual Desktop named "Essobie" anywhere. From within Personalization under Control Panel there's nothing I can do to the user icon there either.

How do I not look at that stupid, useless list for good?

You are seeing that long list because of two things you've done.

1) You've turned off the "Don't show hidden files, folder, and drives" and "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" settings.
2) You've selected "Show all folders" in the left panel.

Set those back to their original values and you won't see that stupid, useless list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

WebDog posted:

Here's a windows 7 bug that's thrown me.

By accident I deleted the favourites folder from my documents and it no longer wants to work.

The little yellow star is there, but no clicking on "restore favourites links" or adding stuff in there works.

The only method I can think of is creating a new user account.

You could try fixing the reference to the Favorites folder in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Do you know how to use regedit?

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

Varicelli posted:

It has huge amounts of stuff I would hate to lose and its pretty impossible for me to backup the like 500gb of poo poo I can't/don't want to lose.

How important is this stuff? Not important enough to backup? Good luck with that...

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

Nizox posted:

So, with 4gigs on the mobo, and 1 gig on the GPU, i have 5 gigs of ram, only 4 of which can effectively be used?

In a 32bit distro of course.

No, you have 4GB of RAM and 1GB of video memory. The memory on the GPU is for vertex data, textures, shaders, etc. It's not the same as the junk on your "mobo".

If you look you'll notice that not all of the 4GB of RAM is usable under 32-bit Windows. You usually only get about 3.5GB available. Windows 7 64 will let you use all 4GB and more.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Windows defender is also there to do the occasional one-time scan.

When you install MSE it turns off Defender.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

mcsuede posted:

iTunes 10 stuck a Quicktime shortcut to the top of my start menu and IT WILL NOT GO AWAY. "Remove from this list" does nothing. loving Apple. Any ideas?

Do you have an option to "Unpin from Start Menu"?

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

FalloutGod posted:

Am I just a jackass or does anyone hate how expensive windows operating systems are? I'm still rolling around on XP cause I just can't bring my self to drop that kind of cash on a god drat piece of software. Especially when that software is on millions of computers already so I don't see the need for such a high price. I also "need" the best version of it cause I feel like I'm crippling my self somehow not buying the most robust version. Even if I may not need half of the features it provides. I think I am just a jackass...

How long ago did you buy XP? You will get years of use out of Windows 7. All your other stuff will run better on it. What features do you need beyond Win7 Home Premium? One of us, one of us...

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

YggiDee posted:

What's the learning curve with moving from XP to Windows 7 like? I'm getting a new computer within the week and it will finally have an OS made in the last ten years. I've basically never interacted with Vista or 7 in any significant way, but it's time to move on, I figure. Am I going to spend several days cursing everything for being different or do angels come out the screen and give me chocolate?

a) Don't go turning services or security features off
b) Don't use any retardo tweaking guide to pump up your megahertz
c) For virus protection do install Microsoft Security Essentials

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

That being said, how well will Win 7 Pro run on a netbook vs. Home Basic? I'm probably getting a N450 CPU, and the RAM will be upgraded to 2 Gigs...is it even worth it? Is Home Basic 'good enough'?

It's the same code base with a few more features enabled. You can look here to see if there is a killer feature you need from Professional. For the vast majority of users Windows 7 Home Premium is all they need.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

Fuschia tude posted:

:raise:

Guest Account and Guest Mode (SteadyState) are different things.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

spanko posted:

Click here for the full 1118x840 image.

What is this poo poo? Clicking the link brings me to some MS page that says to reinstall windows.

That looks familiar. Have you ever used Driver Sweeper? You may have deleted some magic fairy dust from WinSxS or the DriverStore. If you selected the Backup checkbox in Driver Sweeper you might be able to easily restore the files.

Sadly, I didn't and it looked like I was going to be forced into a Windows 7 Upgrade Install to fix it. I tried "sfc /scannow" and the System Upgrade Readiness Tool, neither one fixed it.

I was finally able to download the missing crap from here. Once the files were replaced, the SP1 install worked.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

evale posted:

I'm running Win7 on a laptop. A few minutes ago, at exactly 1am, the transparency on the taskbar turned off and the computer started running very slow. A restart seems to have solved this problem.

I looked around on the net, and a recent Intel HD graphics update might be the cause. Anyone have a problem similar to this? The update was through Windows Update.

Windows 7 occasionally re-runs the Windows Experience Index assessment. I don't know the trigger or its schedule but your symptoms sound correct.

Go into the "System" control panel and see if the Windows Experience Index needs to be updated.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

Revol posted:

I was even getting unexplained sudden desktop crashes in Portal 2 until I right-clicked and ran the game as administrator.

Something else is wrong with your computer, I've never had to run games (including Portal 2) as administrator.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

Awia posted:

So I have this odd bug in Win 7, occasionally at midnight GMT my theme will revert to basic and the temperature of my Graphics card will shoot up 20 degrees. It only lasts for about 2 or 3 minutes but it's still rather annoying.
It doesn't happen every night, but when it does it happens at midnight.

This is almost certainly the Windows System Assessment Tool running. It's the thingy that measures and updates the Windows Experience Index. It's scheduled to run weekly by default.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

Red_Fred posted:

I have a quick question about making a batch file to rename some files.

Is this possible?

You could ask in the PowerShell Megathread. There's probably a simple way to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

Captain Novolin posted:

I've noticed that when I put my computer to sleep it doesn't prompt for a password when it wakes up. It's sitting in a pretty public place and I'd like to have it lock when it goes to sleep, but not need a password coming back from a screensaver, since I always put it to sleep whenever I leave the room. How can I get it to do this (on win7 home premium)

Go to the Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options. There you can enable "Require a password on wakeup".