Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Set their DNS to 1.1.1.2 to block the worst offenders. If you're so inclined, you could also set up a Pi-hole, but that requires some level of maintenance wrt installing updates etc. 1.1.1.3 is a bit aggressive and activates YouTube's "restricted mode", which is essentially kid-friendly filter.

Disabling UPnP on the router is always a good idea, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Ynglaur posted:

FDM always seemed sketchy to me, perhaps due to my own ignorance. How is its development funded? It says its open source, but I can't seem to find a link to its source code anywhere. I've seen for years it says how it splits files into multiple parts to download them faster, but if this technique were that impactful, wouldn't major OSes do that already? (Or maybe they already do?)
If you have a terminal, you can use UNIX's aria2 (aria2c is the command) and do multiple threads for one download. The problem with these types of things that are very efficient is that you can end up getting flagged by the website for doing something weird which might get you temporarily locked out. Low download speeds are usually happening for a reason, so going against what's basically a rate limit is obviously going to trip some protective measures for many sites.

I wouldn't be surprised if this app were just built around it, much the same way most video editors and apps are just a glorified ffmpeg wrappers.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Man I hope Win11 improves the workflow for compressed files. Context menus are such a mess in Win10, and you have to click stuff ten times for each file. I know better than to hope, though.

Doesn Windows 10 still struggle if file names are too long or something like that?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Medullah posted:

What are some good drawing programs out there for a Surface Book? I have Paintshop and Corel Painter, but I'm really looking for something that does sketching. Trying to get back into drawing for the first time in 30 years.

Ideally something that has great online tutorials as well. Doesn't need to be free, but I'm not looking for something as serious as Illustrator.
SAI is the simple, straightforward tool with great default brushes and a 30-day trial. And Clip Studio is a little move advanced but also great. CSP is 50% off a lot of the time.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
uhhh, so apparently i was on 21H1 instead of 22H2, and when i updated, windows pretty much reset everything except the apps installed?

even my system restore point from before the update is gone. all browsers reset and all tabs wiped too

e: nvm, i just rebooted it for like the third time, and i basically loaded up a completely different profile that looked like the old one instead of something fresh and super broken, what the gently caress microsoft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

astral posted:

Do you perhaps have an old windows install on another drive it might've accidentally booted from mid-process instead of the correct one?
i have a Windows.old folder on C:\ that was written to the same day i updated

other than that no. my guess is that they loaded some kind of pseudo user profile, especially since the computer initially had this error when i tried signing in when i got to the computer this morning after it was updating overnight:

"User profile service failed the sign-in"

maybe some cloud sync/cache nonsense that windows relied on phoning home for. too many possible things. i also have different logins across accounts and windows vs xbox vs edge browser, and windows 10 was always awful at figuring out what to use