Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

gwar3k1 posted:

Has anything changed in regards to gadget installation? I can't even get a hello world gadget (as per the MSDN example) to install. I've created a .gadget folder with a gadget.xml and .html file inside, zipped it (removing .zip extension) and double clicking on the icon. Nothing's happening.

The only development stuff I can find is for Vista's sidebar gadgets which indicate no change in the W7 development process. I did find a site suggesting setting the charset will break the gadget (so I removed it from the example code) and that still doesn't make it work.

I looked in the installed gadgets folder and found that there are language folders, so I made that change too and still not working.

I downloaded a gadget from the Windows 7 experience site which came packaged as an MSI. Is this how gadgets are installed now? The last time I made one, it was a case of zipping the folder and double clicking it.

I've only had issues installing Gadgets when UAC was disabled.

They are the same .gadget format as Vista I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

GroceryBagHead posted:

Just installed it on my system. So far it looks good. Not like that shitheap of OS called Vista. My gigabit network card only operates at 100mbit for some reason though.

Windows 7 is pretty much Vista R2. It's not like they are vastly different. Just some minor updates.

That being said, I went back to Vista on my primary system because I couldn't stand Windows 7. :3:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

ErIog posted:

There's also the fact that a method like torrents is a more reliable method of downloading. I tried to download the beta directly from MS. The download speed was fine, but the file I got wouldn't install. I checked the hash, and it turned out it was wrong. If I downloaded it from MS again that would have been another 2+ gigs, but I just pointed a torrent at it and it was fixed in 5 minutes. It just had to download the pieces that had been botched.

There's a million reasons not to download from the MS site. I wish MS would kind of embrace torrents for the reliability issue. I realize they have more bandwidth than god, but it's worth nothing if people have to redownload. It's one thing the open source community has really gotten right, and companies like Blizzard also employ it well.

If MS provided an official torrent, I'd download from them in a heartbeat just to know the 2+ gigs I'm downloading don't have to be redownloaded if something goes wrong. Torrents are also a bit easier to resume, and you can also more easily set a download speed cap if that's your thing. A lot of people are used to managing torrents at this time from a separate program, but I don't think http download managers have quite the same penetration. Most people just aren't downloading 2+ gigabyte files regularly over http, but it's commonplace over torrents.

Microsoft should do something like what Blizzard does.

Every WoW patch is on a Torrent tracker as well as HTTP. The Blizzard patcher that loads up is just a simplified BitTorrent client.

Microsoft should do the same thing. Offer an EXE download link to grab their customized torrent client (for those who just want to download the ISO and don't want to mess with anything else), AND offer a link to the .torrent file, for those who just want to use their already-installed Torrent client.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Data posted:

Just spent ~5 hours attempting an install. After numerous freezes and blue screens (the various internet fixes re: ACPI/USBs didn't work), I'm left with XP and 20Gbs of windows 7 files that I can't loving delete no matter what.

Ughh, gently caress this. Having a lovely install experience kills any enthusiasm I have for a new OS.

You need to better become familiar with your hardware and Windows/NTFS permissions.

- To delete the files, give yourself ownership on all items. Make sure to apply to child objects.
- Remove all permissions (to make sure and remove any Deny permissions that may be set). Apply to child objects again.
- Give someone like "Everyone" full permissions. And of course don't forget to apply to child objects.

Now, Windows 7 should NOT blue screen unless something is very wrong. Bad ISO? Bad DVD drive? Bad RAM? System over heating? Dust? Bulging caps? Failing hard drive? Crap drivers?

What kind of system do you have? Age? Motherboard? CPU? Have you ever ran MemTest86+?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

/bin/laden posted:

I keep seeing people refer to the fact that x64bit versions of Windows Vista/7 cannot install unsigned drivers, yet when I try using hacked drivers for my scanner, windows will throw a warning, but will still continue with the install. Am I misunderstanding what everyone is talking about?

(I love Windows7's snipping tool)

What is the source of the drivers?

Edit:
With all the poo poo over signed driver requirements, people scrambling to find work-arounds and self-signing methods, F8 developer mode bootups and stuff, I'm pretty sure we're not making up the fact that x64 Vista/Win7 won't install unsigned drivers.

There are different levels of signed drivers. The cert may be expired or something and that may throw up an error, but they still have to be digital signed or Windows won't use them.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Strabo4 posted:

Sounds like Home Premium will be more than adequate for the average user. Good job Microsoft for not making this a confusing fuckup of features.

How is Windows 7 Home Premium different than Vista Home Premium?

It's Windows 7 Professional that is a step up compared to Vista Business. Vista Business was lacking features Vista Home Premium had. Windows 7 Professional is an actual upgrade to Home Premium.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Logostomp posted:

How well does Steam work on the Release Candidate? I remember everytime in Vista I exited out of a game, it said HL2.exe crashed.

That was a Valve/Steam/Source issue. They (Valve) fixed a few weeks back I believe.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

brc64 posted:

I didn't notice this. So what the hell do you get with Ultimate? Texas Hold'em 2: Hold'em Harder?

I don't know if there is any reason to get Windows 7 Ultimate.

Vista Ultimate was at least Vista "Home Premium + Business".
Windows 7 Professional will be "Home Premium + Professional/Business", so why would most people need to bother with Win7 Ultimate? I'm pretty sure *I* don't need it.

Hopefully we'll JUST see Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional on store shelves (just like XP Home and XP Pro). No Basic, No Ultimate, etc.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
HOLY poo poo.

We have someone posting on here that USE TO HACK?

SWEET. Do you know ZeroCool?

EDIT:

So what version of AOL did you use? 3.0 was da bomb.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Out of curiosity, what does "Verwendungsverlauf des physikalischen Speichers" mean in English?

direct web translate:

use process of the physical memory

English task manager says this:

Physical Memory Usage History

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
So are there no big changes between 7100, 7127, and 7137?

Just going from 7057 to 7068 to 7077, there were noticeable changes between each one of those builds.

I'll be loading 7137 in a bit.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Is there a way to make UAC ignore specific files? I have a game that when I run it, it pops up with the "Do you want to run this" stuff where it locks down the computer until you say yes or no. I can't run the game through steam though, presumably because of this. And running it through steam is pretty important.

If you disable "Secure Desktop" (the dimming of the screen), it doesn't lock the rest of the computer.

Secure Desktop use to crash poo poo on me all the time (like TV-viewing applications) until I learned how to disable it.

Windows 7 makes it easy. Just move the slider down 1 notch in the UAC settings. For Vista, you can use XdN Tweaker to turn off Secure Desktop.

And yes, there are lots of ways to all a program to run without triggering UAC.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

Java has run like horseshit for years pretty much

Yeah, I thought it was designed that way on purpose. Name recognition and such.

Every time I get stuck behind an old person in traffic or in a store, I shake my fist at them and say "gently caress you, Java!"

So, obviously their plan is working.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Devices and Printers never loads for me.

It works for a few days after install, then stops. This happened on three systems I've had Windows 7 installed.

I've tried looking for info on it. I've posted about it in the past (and I don't remember a solution).

Well, I've only found that others are having the same issue.
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/5175-devices-printers-window-wont-populate.html

Anyone know how to fix this?

It has happened in most builds I've used.

another page with mention:
http://www.windows7update.com/devices-and-printers.html

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/6507-printers-devices-stalls.html

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/5617-devices-printers-not-loading-plz-help.html

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 4, 2009

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Xenomorph posted:

Devices and Printers never loads for me.

It works for a few days after install, then stops. This happened on three systems I've had Windows 7 installed.

I've tried looking for info on it. I've posted about it in the past (and I don't remember a solution).

Well, I've only found that others are having the same issue.
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/5175-devices-printers-window-wont-populate.html

Anyone know how to fix this?

It has happened in most builds I've used.

another page with mention:
http://www.windows7update.com/devices-and-printers.html

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/6507-printers-devices-stalls.html

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/5617-devices-printers-not-loading-plz-help.html

Well, I just used MSConfig to disable and enable everything and reboot about a dozen times to see if it was a startup item that was causing hell.

It seems the on-screen display (part of the Lenovo Hotkey driver) was keeping the Devices and Printers from loading.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Plan B posted:

Does anyone know how I can set up an old-fashioned SMB share? I can't get my Xbox with XBMC to see any shared folders on my PC. Pointing the Xbox to smb://JEFF-PC/ gets a "connection refused", so clearly SMB sharing isn't enabled.

I've done right click > Share with > Specific people... > Everyone, and Windows claims the folder is shared. I'm out of ideas.

Default policy is that shares may not work unless you have a user with a password set.

Also, even if the Share gives them permission someplace, the NTFS permission may be denying them access to that place. Deny always overwrites Allow.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

So basically Win7 made it a huge pain in the rear end to share stuff over a network?

What?

No. That is how Windows has done it for years. There is nothing different in Windows 7 as far as I know.

In XP, I made sure to create a user with a password, and that the NTFS permissions of the share allowed everyone access.

Then I could share it.

I can't say for certain how it was in NT4/2000/XP Gold or SP1.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Anyone who hates UAC prompts should use a Mac for a while. Not only do you get the same type of prompts for many of the same reasons, you can't just click "Continue", you have to enter your password each and every time, over and over.

On Windows, leave it enabled. Really. It's there for so many reasons.

"Never having to worry about some random program destroying my installation of Windows without warning" and "never having to worry about some random malware installing itself without warning" are some of the bigger reasons I love UAC.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

The SourceForge PDFCreator seems to be breaking my x64 Win7. Does anyone have a suggestion for a free PDF printer?

doPDF is what I've been using for a while. It works fine on all systems I've put it on. XP/32, Vista 32/64, and Win7 32/64.

Volte posted:

I have disabled UAC at my own peril, but I would re-enable it if it were possible to promote an already running application (or temporarily disable it system wide with a tray icon or something). I get annoyed trying to, for example, unpack a RAR file directly into a Program Files directory after opening it from Firefox, getting the "Access Denied" message, then having to restart WinRAR as admin (or unpacking to a temp directory and copying). Also forgetting to open configuration files in admin mode, editing them, and then not being able to same them is frustrating as well (I constantly do this in Linux too).

NOD32 and common sense seem to keep me virus free though.

The only time I think I've wanted to disable UAC is when I'm customizing my Start Menu. The constant barrage of "are you sure?" and "you said you're sure, do you want to continue?" double prompt for every action gets annoying fast.

Luckily, Windows 7 doesn't have those same prompts. I haven't even been tempted to disable UAC under Windows 7.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I purchased a new drive, so I get to have all my games on a drive separate from Windows.

C:
\Users
\Program Files
\Program Files (x86)
\Windows

D:
\Games

Setting D:\Games to have an owner of "Administrators" and then giving the "Everyone" group full access means I never worry about games triggering UAC because of a protected path issue.

Works great, unless the game had lovely programmers. In the 3 years of using Vista, I've only seen "Warhammer Online" and "Savage 2" trigger UAC for absolutely no reason.
My daughter loves fantasy online games, but I hated that I couldn't let her play Warhammer Online without it prompting for the Admin password on her system every time she tried to load it up.

Bringing up the fact those games trigger UAC needlessly on either of their support forums resulted in many people saying "just disable UAC" and "this is why Vista sucks".
I believe the developers' official stance with Savage 2 is to disable UAC or simply stick with XP.
And that is just great; after over a decade of poo poo programming allowed by Windows, Microsoft tries to fix things only to have developers recommend people use older versions of Windows so they can continue their poo poo programming.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

You Am I posted:

I thought Aero only worked on DX9+ cards?

Correct. Aero requires DirectX 9 hardware that supports WDDM functions. Some chipsets that claim DX9 (like some Intel shitsets) don't have all the hardware there, so no Aero.

GeForce 4 MX doesn't have DX9. It doesn't even have DX8. It is a DX7 card, with zero shader capability. So it has no way of doing Aero.

fishmech posted:

I've run Win 7's Aero on a GeForce 4 MX just fine, after turning off glass. Assuming what year that computer is likely to be form, Aero will make Windoiws 7 run great on that piece of poo poo compared to Windows XP (which is probably on there).

I would love to see this. Turning off Glass? That is pretty much Aero. GF4MX can't do Aero.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I have the Cisco VPN client installed in my XP Mode. It connects and works, but only for applications running in XP Mode.

I use it for some work stuff, but I run IE7 in XP mode, as well as Putty or any other application I need to access resources through the VPN.

It only works for apps running in "XP Mode" since the VPN'd network is virtual, and only visible to others using that virtual network.

If XP Mode really is just VirtualPC, then there should be a work-around.

Open XP's Control Panel -> Network settings. It has its own virtual network, right?

That has to be shared, first.
If you're using Cisco VPN, go to its network properties and enable “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.
Then set a static IP for the virtual Local Area Connection. Establish the VPN connection, and then in the Host OS (Win7/64), you have to add Static routes from your real network connection to the virtual local area connection.

http://xenomorph.net/?page_id=573

I haven't been able to test it on my system with Windows7 and XP Mode (since I purchased one of them Intel CPUs that they decided to disable VT on). I've only done it with VMware, VirtualBox, and VirtualPC. So I don't know for sure if it works in XP Mode (YET).

After sharing the Cisco connection, I set the VirtualPC "Local Area Connection" IP address to 192.168.1.25.
My previous employer had all their stuff on the 10.10.1.0 network.
So, after I shared the virtual network adapter, I ran this in the host/x64:

route -p add 10.10.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.25

So, when I connected via VPN in the guest OS, I could get to the 10.10.1.0 network through it with Apps running on the host/x64 OS.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I went ahead and ordered a Core 2 Quad Q9550 from Newegg. Pretty much one of the best quad-core CPUs out there now. :3: (with a full twelve times as much L2 cache as my current dual-core CPU!)

Of course, part of the purchasing decision was based on the fact that it was one of the "lucky" CPUs that was NOT selected on Intel's "wheel of VT support" - where they spin a big colorful wheel to randomly decide which CPUs have Virtualization Technology disabled.

It looks like I'll be able to try XP Mode now.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

ilkhan posted:

I still haven't figured out what the purpose of XPM is for personal machines.
Anybody want to clue me in?

I know what I'll be running on it on my personal machine.

Cisco VPN
SimCity
SimEarth
Ancient, DOS-only self-extractors.
IE6 and OE

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Stutes posted:

News for any European purchasers of Windows 7: retail copies of the OS will not include ANY browser.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/06/windows-7-to-be-shipped-in-europe-sans-internet-explorer.ars

Welcome to Windows 95!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Stuntman Mike posted:

Then...how does one download a browser :psyduck:

url shortcut on the desktop?

They may have some app with embedded IE (that can't be removed from windows) with links to Mozilla, Opera, Safari, and IE8.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Ok, I just got my Q9550 CPU, complete with Intel VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGY.

Now how do I get started with this "XP Mode" thing?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Chikimiki posted:

Just installed Windows 7 and it seems to run nicely, though I really need to get used to that glossy interface.. I'm so used to the old grey look.

But still I was wondering why it won't give me the rights to change stuff on my external HDD (like renaming folders) although this works fine under any Vista Computer.

Also, does anyone know a good office suite? Wordpad doesn't open 'dem .doc files correctly, Openoffice won't even install (tried 3.0.1) and the MS Office is a trial version... Thankies!

Word Viewer is free.

OpenOffice is at 3.1.

If it "doesn't install", then fix your computer.

Also, what Windows 7 "glossy" interface are you talking about? The interface is the same as it has been in Windows since 2006.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
So, uh... How do I do anything with XP mode?

It just opens what looks like a Remote Desktop connection to an XP system.

How do I get the seamless thing working?

When I look it up, it says just run something, and it adds it to my Win7 Start Menu. Well, it doesn't.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

LooseChanj posted:

You need to put a shortcut to whatever app in the All Users start menu, which then shows up in a folder called "Virtual Windows XP applications" under the Virtual PC group in the start menu on the host. Yeah, not all that intuitive, but considering it's the first beta release and who/what it's intended for, not that surprising.

I have several shortcuts and folders there (on the XP Start Menu), only one thing I installed finally showed up on the Start Menu.

Do I need to move things off the Start Menu, and then back on to try and force it to make shortcuts on the Win7 Start Menu?

I couldn't find any way to "force" it to scan the XP Start Menu.

So far, XP Mode seems pretty retarded.

It runs XP in the background (hidden), and the "Virtual PC" application you run is really just a Remote Desktop session to it. It's like running Citrix.
So you never have full control over the VM, can't use ClearType, etc.
And of course you can't pick what applications show up on the Win7 Start Menu.

I REALLY hope they improve on that - like have the ability to use ClearType with its remote connection.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

xamphear posted:

Which is what anyone SHOULD do given what you and Xeno want. XP Mode is for corporate customers who have some lovely old in-house point of sale or database application that they can't update anymore but NEED to use in order to run their business.

You guys whinging on and on about XP Mode's shortcomings sound like people complaining that Notepad doesn't have all the features of TextMate.

What's TextMate?

We whine about XP Mode because it is nothing like we expected.

There are already "seamless" virtual machine applications. Microsoft released info on their seamless virtual machine. Wouldn't it be badass? I mean, it's Microsoft native, and it requires virtualization hardware!
The end product (so far) is weaker than what the other products provide. Instead of seamless virtualization (like OS9 Classic mode in Mac OS X), we get "Microsoft's Retarded Citrix".

I don't have a VMware license at home. VirtualPC, VirtualBox, and VMware Player are all free and do what I want (Cisco VPN connection w/ 64-bit Windows). I'm sure XP Mode does that as well (but is cumbersome and uber-ugly). I'm not going to pay for a VMware license to get a prettier seamless experience.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
All the leaks now are pre-RTM builds, and the beta/RC keys don't work on them.

7232 is supposedly what a lot of people have, and supposedly 7260 is the RTM build.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Ok, well, XP Mode can be made a little better.

- Enable ClearType for RDP in XP
- Enable 24-bit Color for RDP in XP
- Disable Sounds in XP

I will probably update XdN Tweaker to offer those options when ran under XP.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

syphon posted:

How do you do this? With the Remote Desktop client in Win7, or the Remote Desktop client in XP, or somewhere else?

ClearType and 24bit color (haven't tried 32bit, but its listed to only go up to 24bit for some reason) are both changes you can make in the Registry of XP.

cleartype for RDP:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations]
"AllowFontAntiAlias"=dword:00000001

force RDP to 24bit (it defaults to 16bit in XP mode)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services]
"ColorDepth"=dword:00000004

then restart XP. When it boots back up, ClearType and 24-bit color should be enabled. So text and icons will look better.

I was not able to test Cisco VPN with XP Mode, as the Cisco device I was connecting to has Split Tunneling disabled. As soon as the connection is made, it blocks local access. Local access is required of course to route Host traffic to the guest. My last employer had split tunneling enabled, but of course I won't be connecting to them any more.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Holy poo poo.

I just got an email from Charter - Notice of Copyright Infringement.

quote:

Dear Charter Internet Subscriber:

Charter Communications ("Charter") has been notified by a copyright owner, or its authorized agent, that your Internet account may have been involved in the exchange of unauthorized copies of copyrighted material (e.g., music, movies, or software). We are enclosing a copy of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) notice that Charter received from the copyright holder which includes the specific allegation.

The Business Software Alliance (BSA) has determined that the above connection, which appears to be using an Internet account under your control, is using a P2P network seen below to offer unlicensed copies of copyrighted computer programs published by the BSA's member companies.

Evidentiary Information:
Asset: Microsoft Windows
Protocol: BitTorrent
File Name: Microsoft Windows 7 RC

I got a DMCA email because of Windows 7. Something Microsoft is providing to the public.
This is something that is a time-limited trial that works with keys Microsoft is also giving out to the public.
Yet, I got a big rear end email about how piracy like this hurts the industry.

I try to avoid ever downloading bad poo poo. Music, movies, whatever. I'd rather just buy a DVD than download a movie and risk getting in trouble.
I usually have uTorrent open with a shitload of ISOs. Ubuntu, Win7, etc. Stuff I've needed but usually have trouble getting.

And I get a letter for uploading EVALUATION software?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

liquidXenon posted:

Looks like you'll have $1.9 million in fines coming your way soon. I want to see how this plays out.

I'm pretty sure they may have a hard time trying to figure how much I've cost the company by reducing their bandwidth costs, but it bothers me that I have the warning on my record now at Charter.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

The warning doesn't do anything to your account overall. My wife got one a couple of years ago from HBO (Downloading Entourage), and nothing ever came of it, and that was from actual infringement.

I kind of see where they're coming from in a twisted way: I see how they want to control the distribution channels because of liability concerns.

It's still a stupid way to do it, though.

Well, I'm guessing it will still stick with my account and be there permanently. And what if it happens again? What if I get more emails from them seeing the Win7 Beta on there a few weeks back? Or the Vista SP2 ISO? I'm sure multiple warnings like that will cause them to kill my service.

I'll not share Windows ISOs any more, but I still don't see how I was causing any harm.

Thermopyle posted:

Apparently, not being able to figure out an exact cost means the fine is 1.92 million.

Yeah, I'd think I'd settle now that I know more retarded poo poo can happen if it goes to trial.

If you can afford something, then pay. I'm against "filez", and I've happily paid for a lot of shareware and demo applications, plus lots of people have paid me for XdN Tweaker - but with the recent RIAA case, that lady cost the record companies a grand total of $0.00 in lost sales. Nothing physically lost, nothing "real" to account for. Just some people (that were never going to pay for the music in the first place) downloading it to enjoy the same way someone enjoys the music on the radio.
A million dollar decision against her makes no sense.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

xamphear posted:

It's also important to take note of the part of the complaint letter that states the BSA was the one who sent the notice, not Microsoft. This could easily be a case of the BSA's automated system just firing out complaints left and right, or maybe Microsoft tried to get them to go after people on the leaked builds and the BSA didn't know or care to filter out people sharing the public releases. There's absolutely no disincentive to sending out an absolute shitload of DMCA complaints so I doubt they spend any time or money on fine tuning their systems.

Well, I think it's beyond stupid, but I won't be helping out with Windows ISOs any more. At least not on public trackers.

At my last employer, I didn't have the MSDN login account, and the guy that did always took his sweet time to get poo poo off the TechNet site for us. I always found it easier and faster to jump on a torrent to get the ISO (after confirming the MD5).

Amazing that after all that time with AT&T, I never got any emails, but I got one within weeks of doing something on Charter.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I released an updated XdN Tweaker that can be used within XP Mode to one-button-push enable 24-bit color and ClearType.

http://xdntweaker.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

syphon posted:

That link leads to a download of 0.9.1.7, which does not seem to have the options for XP Mode (not that I can find, at least).

EDIT: Whoops, nevermind. I was running it on Win7, which of course wouldn't have the options. DURRRR. I still think I like VMWare better, the RDP-drawn graphics are just too laggy and sluggish.

Yeah, it's a little weird.

XP w/ .NET 2.0 + XdN Tweaker under Win7 (w/ XdN Tweaker) = Fun!

The Remote Desktop stuff only appears on it when ran under XP since the changes are for the XP registry only.