Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Teenagers posted:

Is anybody else finding Win7 RC to be really loving slow? I was previously using Vista 64, and it was a lot speedier than this. Also both of my security packages seem to conflict with the OS - I have Kapersky and ESET Smart Security.

Your computer is broken.

No, everyone has pretty much found the Win7 RC to be amazingly fast and optimized, breathing new life into even the oldest systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

I've stuck with the 71xx builds, since reading the 72xx are pre-RTM builds that don't work with the beta/RC keys.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

I paid $49 for the Windows 98 to Windows 98SE Upgrade.

I paid $139 for the Vista Business to Vista Ultimate Upgrade.

I paid for Slackware Linux 3.3.

I paid for a boxed copy of Red Hat 5.

Through doing surveys and other poo poo for Microsoft, they gave me:
- Microsoft Office Small Business Accounting 2006
- Microsoft Office Professional 2003
- Microsoft Office Professional 2007
- Windows XP Professional (x 2)
- Windows Vista Business
- Windows Vista Ultimate (x 5)
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
- Microsoft Visual Basic .NET 2003
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005

I plan on buying Windows 7 Professional.

The boxed copies at the store are usually "Upgrades". I don't mess with those. Plus, buying an upgrade and then finding some work-around to install a clean copy when you don't have an eligible operating system to upgrade from (or you keep using the "upgraded" OS on another system) is against the EULA.
I don't like messing with Upgrade discs and their compliance checking. I will probably order a boxed copy of the full version from Newegg or something.

Edit:
Regarding all the stuff Microsoft gave me, I would have purchased the things I wanted if they did not. I'm the type of person who would gladly buy a boxed copy of an OS. I would have purchased XP. I did purchase a Vista Ultimate Upgrade (before I found out how to get it free).
I wasn't going to bother waiting to try and get a free copy of Windows 7, I was going to purchase it so I could use it right away.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 25, 2009

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Alex007 posted:

My mind is blown, I thought that poo poo was over when Win98 died and XP SP2 got out. Seriously, with activation, WGA, and windows updates ... people STLL pirate windows ? Jesus, why do they feel entitled for a free OS ?

gently caress this, MS did a great job with Win7, I'm paying for it, and I'm glad to do it.

I hop on Windows ISO torrents from time to time. Each time there is a new Service Pack, I grab the latest *official* ISO (instead of messing with slipstreams). My previous employer took forever to update the share that had our TechNet/MSDN stuff (I didn't have access to the account), so torrent sites were always quicker for me. Yeah, our work computers got OS updates quicker from Pirate Bay than from Microsoft. It's always important to check if the ISO is untouched. Having the MD5 hash is very important.

Why?

There are hundreds of Windows ISOs out there. Patched, hacked, cracked, modified, etc. You have to dig through pages of Windows ricer ISOs. XP Xtreme edition, Vista Black Edition, etc. So many people upload their "version" of Windows, complete with their own choice of patches, updates, and usually other pirated software. I get a kick out of seeing XdN Tweaker in a bunch of torrents.
The crap torrents people upload have Activation hacks, WGA work-arounds, etc. And the comments for all files are always the same. Lots of keys listed.

More people pirate Windows now than ever. Activation and WGA are meaningless.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Gvaz posted:

Two questions, how did they give you free oses? (and so many of them)

Other question, why did you pay for linux?

Up until I got Slackware 3.3 on CD, I had only worked with Linux installed from Floppy disks. Like 5 floppies for a base install, 10 for X-windows, 3 for some other applications.
Back then, I knew like one person with a CD burner, so it was just a lot easier to buy a pressed CD.

With Red Hat, it came with a big book that covered tons of Linux commands. It served as a great reference, and a bunch newer stuff than I got with the old Slackware CD.

With free copies of XP, I think it had something to do with a promotion where they were giving away copies to people based on where they worked. My wife's employer qualified, so I ordered.

With Vista Business, I think it was something where I had to watch some online videos and then take a survey.
With four of the Vista Ultimate copies, I installed some Microsoft Feedback software that monitored how I used my computer, and I took some surveys. There were so many copies because those in charge of sending out the discs paid absolutely NO attention to what they were doing.

With one copy of Vista Ultimate, a nice goon on here sent me a private message telling me how Microsoft was taking care of people that were UNFORTUNATE enough to have to mess with that stupid "Windows Anytime Upgrade" bullshit (something I've complained about before). The entire process was poo poo, and the company that helped them with that went belly up or something. So I called Microsoft, told them I was a victim of their Anytime Upgrade crap, and they sent me a free, full copy of Vista Ultimate to make up for it.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

LorneReams posted:

^^^ How do you get a MD5 of a patched ISO? Does MS put them out, and if so, why DL from a pirate site instead of MS.

I don't download patched / modified ISOs.

I check MD5s to make sure they are the original ones from Microsoft.

I would send an email to our guy with the MSDN login information asking for an ISO of something like XP SP3 or Vista SP2. It would take weeks before he got around to it, so it would just be quicker for me to download it from a torrent site. I didn't have that kind of time when I needed to get a system set up.

Microsoft doesn't have public download links to the ISOs. So if you want the updated version of your OS, a "pirate site" is the best source of legitimate software. Checking the MD5 is important to make sure you DON'T get a patched ISO.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

marshmonkey posted:

this got lost on the last page, anyone know where to set this in windows 7?

Isn't in the same spot as in Vista?

Right click Network, go to Properties
On the left, click "Manage network connections"
On that window, hit Alt, then click Advanced -> Advanced Settings

You can then change the order of networking stuff.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

brc64 posted:

This reminds me, my mom had a copy of Microsoft Office that came on floppy disks. I believe it was 45 of them. She also had a copy of Windows... I want to say 98, but it may have been 95 that was about 11 or 12 floppies.

I'm trying to remember how many floppies my copy of Windows 95 was. 12-14.

I know Windows for Workgroups 3.11 was 8 floppies. Only the first 6 were needed for the base install. I forget what the last two were for.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Can I upgrade from Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Home Premium?

no

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

wang souffle posted:

Does Home Premium really not allow you to connect via Remote Desktop? I'd like to be able to connect from work if possible. I checked the first and last few pages, but haven't seen any mention of this.

Why would we mention this?

Nothing has changed with the home versions of Windows 7 compared to previous edition as far as I know.

Vista Home didn't let you connect to it.
XP Home didn't let you connect to it.
Win9x didn't let you connect to it.

Something like LogMeIn will let you connect to a Home version of Windows.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Gooofy posted:

Yep.
I assume you are talking about this:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/007dbf629e.jpg

That's some collection.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

My primary Windows 7 system:

Pentium M @ 2.0 GHz
2 Gigs DDR2 RAM, 533 MHz
Radeon Mobility X300
120 Gig HDD, 5400 RPM w/ 8 Megs Cache

It runs silky smooth. I'm very impressed.

I would really recommend trying to get your system to 2+ Gigs RAM.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

SuperMarrio posted:

How do you mean?

1 Gig DDR costs around what 4 Gigs DDR2 costs.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Contains Acetone posted:

Does that mean that 1 Gig of SDRAM costs what 4 Gig of DDR costs which costs around what 16 Gigs of DDR2 costs? gently caress where are my old sticks!?

Something like that.

It even gets harsher with older laptop memory. Not that my ThinkPad 560X would take a full gig of memory (it maxes out at a pitiful 160 Megs), but paying for a gig would cost $400-$640 ($50 to $80 for a 128 Meg EDO SODIMM). I can't bring myself to spend that much to upgrade the system when the complete system only goes for around $30.

Magicmat posted:

I know this has probably been answered a million times, but a 50-page thread with no search capabilities makes it hard to check. I checked back the last few pages and didn't find anything.

If I'm running Vista right now without any hitches, is there any reason to want XP mode in Win7? I can't, off the top of my head, think of any non-Vista-compatible programs (well, at least ones that won't run -- plenty have little quirks like needing admin mode or something) so does that mean I'll be OK with Win7 Home Premium? Can anybody think of any prominent examples of something I, as a home user, would need XP Mode for?

This was a simple thing for me with my old employer.

I use 64-bit Windows.
My employer required using Cisco VPN to connect to their network.
Cisco VPN is 32-bit only.

My solution was to load up VirtualPC, boot up XP in that, establish the VPN connection in the XP virtual machine, share the connection, and then in my Vista Host I would add static routes to direct the IP ranges of the networks I wanted to use to go through the XP virtual machine, giving me VPN access.

With XP Mode in Windows 7, I could just open my Windows 7 Start Menu, click on Cisco VPN, which loaded through XP Mode but would still minimize to my Windows 7 tray. XP is still running in the background, but making the VPN connection is much more seamless.

Some companies also run some applications that were written by such lovely programmers, they won't work in Vista/Win7. Or, maybe they do, but they trip up unless UAC is disabled or some other retarded security hole is introduced (such as giving Everyone write access to Program Files or Windows). They could instead now just run their poo poo application in XP Mode, but still have it seamlessly appear in the Windows 7 Desktop.

Regardless of what you use XP Mode for, you can use XdN Tweaker under both Windows 7 and XP Mode to enable tweaks to make both more enjoyable. One of the latest tweaks I put in XdN Tweaker was something that set the registry keys in XP SP3 (at least one wasn't in XP until SP3) to enable ClearType over RDP and better color. It can work in real, stand-alone installs of XP, but it shines in XP Mode since it uses RDP to interface with XP, and RDP didn't really support true color or ClearType by default.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 3, 2009

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

I know for a fact that Anytime Upgrade will not start an upgrade install until the current OS has been Activated.

Which is annoying as well. Hosed install?

- Wipe
- Install Product X
- Activate
- Install Product Y
- Activate

Instead of a 40 minute install process to get a clean OS, it is a 2 hour process with files and registry slapped on top of old files and registry.

That's why I'm setting aside $300 for the full version of Windows. gently caress upgrades.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

m2pt5 posted:

Emphasis mine.

I know this must be horrible news to everyone, but the Windows "upgrade" process has always been poo poo to me, and I try to avoid it.

The whole "install your OS and then install the OS again as an upgrade" is retarded. It was a way for non-legit users to get away with feeling they had a legit copy because they paid something for it.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

willkill4food posted:

I couldnt get the download link to work for Windows 7 on the Microsoft site so I just downloaded a torrent linked from some tech news site, I scanned it with AVG just to be safe but have not installed it yet, should I worry about it having anything?

Nope.

Torrents of Microsoft software with the correct MD5 hash are fine.

Unfortunately, I got a "Copyright Infringement" email from my ISP because of my PIRATING ILLEGAL SOFTWARE COSTING THE COMPUTER INDUSTRY BILLIONS.

All by being on a Windows 7 RC torrent.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

I've been using 64 bit Vista and now 64 bit Win7 for years and I've never installed a 64 bit codec or player.

Ditto.

I've been running 64-bit Windows for a long time now. I didn't switch because I wanted to start using 64-bit-EVERYTHING, I switched so all of my 32-bit applications had more breathing room. I have 8 Gigs RAM, and all my 32-bit apps are pleased as punch, as they all get to grab their 2 Gigs or whatever and not have to fight.

When I try to think of any disadvantage of 64-bit Windows, the driver-signing requirement is the only thing I can think of.

I think WinRAR is the only 64-bit application I've bothered downloading. I know 64-bit would help something like that.

If you can't find 64-bit Codecs, then how the hell will switching to 32-bit Windows make things better???
Using all your 32-bit stuff on 64-bit Windows is better than using it under 32-bit Windows.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

I have a Quad system (Q9550 @ 3.4 GHz) with 8 Gigs RAM, and I think I have something like an 8-16 Gig pagefile.

I have 1.2 terabytes of space, so the swap file isn't killing me. If my system doesn't need the pagefile, it wouldn't write to it, correct? No worries about speed issues just having it there if Windows never tries to use it, right?

Well, Windows still writes to it.

It doesn't matter if you have 4 Gigs, 8 Gigs, 16 Gigs, or 32 Gigs installed, Windows will use it, and then it will still swap.

If you ever find me disabling a swap file, it's because I'm about to reboot and defrag before turning it the gently caress back on.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

...and? To what degree do you think it actually affects the performance of your PC?

And are you using XP or Vista?

And you defrag the swapfile routinely because...?

I don't notice swap file usage affecting performance at all. If it does, it means I need to get more RAM and/or a better hard drive.

XP came out like 8 years ago. Why would I be using that? Wasn't everything black-and-white back then? How could something that old take advantage of my modern system?

I never defrag a swapfile "routinely". But if its in 17,000 pieces on a 5400 RPM hard drive on a client's shitbox with 256 Megs RAM, I have this crazy feeling that if it was in one big chunk, things may run better.

Instant computer speed boost:
MSConfig -> Disable All
Pagefile -> Disable
Reboot
Defrag
Pagefile -> Enable

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Lum posted:

Linking to it will be a problem, but here's a puzzle for you:

If you've pre-ordered and paid, is it still illegal, given that MS don't care where you get your media from, just the licence key.

You still get 120 days to activate, right, so technically you could install your filez copy and then activate it with your key when it arrives in the post.

In my opinion, if you've paid, its yours. The key/license is the property.

However, I already got a warning from my ISP because I was on a Windows 7 RC torrent.

So having anything to do with Microsoft software on the Internet can get you in trouble.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

deep square leg posted:

Great, thanks. I'm running the RC and didn't want to have to do two more installations.

xenomorph: After a defrag you could set your pagefile to a static size, then it won't get fragmented. I have a separate partition at the start of a non-system drive just so the pagefile is at the fastest place on a disk, but I know that's overkill.

That's exactly what I do. Disable, reboot, defrag, set static.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Hopefully I can get this dirt cheap from work.

Right now our Windows licenses are like $55 for Professional.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Psimitry posted:

Anyone other than me absolutely hate the new taskbar? After doing a Google search and seeing people absolutely rave about it, I kinda feel like I am. Maybe I just haven't figured it out yet, but it seems genuinely geared to those that keep 60,000 windows open at any given time. Myself, I always had an array of quicklaunch buttons on a two-row taskbar and then launched new windows whenever I needed a second one (I rarely use tabbed browsing, for example).

I think my buddy's wife will really dig on Win7, as she is one of the aforementioned types that likes to have 60,000 windows open. But it really bugs me that my only option for the taskbar is to either use the Win7 dock-style one, or turn off Aero completely and use an old XP taskbar.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Am *I* missing something??? I've been using Windows 7 since build 7000, and I set the Task Bar to work almost [b]exactly[b/] like it does in Windows Vista. Well, except I now can re-arrange the order of applications and tray icons (and there is a Show Desktop button next to the clock), but other than that, it's the same.

If you don't like the "dock style" Task Bar, then don't use it. I don't know why you think you'd have to turn off Aero to make the Task Bar work differently.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Psimitry,

The QuickLaunch bar still works. It's just strangely not listed (they want you to try the new pin system).

Right-click Task Bar, go to Toolbars -> New Toolbar.

On the window that pops up, put in %AppData% as the address, then browse to Microsoft, Internet Explorer, Quick Launch.

Or copy and paste this:
%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Wait, am I missing something with the types of discs out there?

I have two Vista discs. 32-bit and 64-bit. It doesn't matter if the user had OEM, Upgrade, Home Basic, Ultimate, or whatever, I just pop in a disc and it installs the version they own and activates.

Are you all saying that Windows 7 has gone back to the way Windows XP was, where I need to carry a loving STACK of discs for all the versions of Windows again????

WHY would they do that?

So I need at LEAST:
32-bit Windows 7 Basic
32-bit Windows 7 Premium
32-bit Windows 7 Professional
32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate
64-bit Windows 7 Basic
64-bit Windows 7 Premium
64-bit Windows 7 Professional
64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate

And Microsoft thought this was a better idea??

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Profane Obituary! posted:

by default that is how it works, however you can edit an ini file and then you only need 32bit and 64bit. The problem was end users were retarded and installed the wrong edition for the key they bought. This way, end user 's are protected from themselves, and smart folks can edit the ini and have the old functionality back.

Hamelin posted:

Like the guy above me said, there's a file named ei.cfg in the sources folder in the Windows 7 DVD that specifies what version the DVD will install. You can either edit it to specify the version that you want installed, or delete the file outright and get a screen during installation that asks you what version you'll install.

So, you'd need a copy of the 32 and 64 bit Install DVDs, that's it.

So it is as simple as editing a file to get the Menu back again? Or just delete the file? (these two posts conflict)

I'm not a fan of modifying files. I've modified SETUPP.INI with XP to try and cook up an install disc if I didn't have access to my MSDN images.

If its as simple as deleting a file and then re-building the ISO, I guess that is Ok.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Dbhjed posted:

Is this a full copy or only an upgrade?

If full copies cost $200 each, I don't think they'd give out three full copies for less than the cost of one copy.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

deep square leg posted:

Ah, very good. Took me a second to realise that it's a spoof of http://www.sevenclassicstart.com/

What the gently caress is the point of the Win95 style Start Menu?

If someone wanted to make an old-style Start Menu, then I'd think the XP one is the one they would want to copy. The XP style had the old style of displaying the "All Programs" menus, and had quick access to things like Computer (including its right-click menu).

The old Win9x style? What does it offer? I HATE trying to work on a system and it being set to the Win9x style. I'm so use to clicking Start, then right-clicking Computer to get to features like Computer Management.

It seems like some people like having "Show Desktop" hidden (or even deleted), have a dozen apps open, and the Win9x Start Menu enabled. I have to right-click the Taskbar and "show desktop", then hunt for their "My Computer" icon among the 800 desktop icons they have, or I have to go to Start-> Control Panel or something. Or I have to hit Start -> Run and type in something to open the management console or computer management.
Because that is SO MUCH easier than just clicking "Start" and having "Computer" right there. RIGHT?

Nillerz posted:

I am the only person in the world to downgrade from Win7 to Vista, aren't I?

When I used Beta build 7000, I noticed lots of weird quirks that pissed me off. It made since for me to wipe Win7 then and go back to Vista. Everything since then has been great. Everything build 7077 and higher has been release-ready it seems.

So yeah, it's a little weird to go back from Win7 to Vista.

Windows 7 is Vista with a lot more polish. You don't like polish?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Flex Mentallo posted:

It's still there with show desktop icon and all. Just right click on the taskbar and go toolbars->new toolbar and point at
%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

is shorter and easier to remember.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Pilsner posted:

Heh, you're an IT-tech and you go to the start menu and right-click Computer with your mouse? Try pressing Win+Pause, smartypants. Or Win+M to minimize all windows, Shift+Win+M to undo the minimize, or Win+D to toggle show desktop.

CORRECT - hitting Win+R and then typing "inetmgr", "control" or "services.msc" is much, much faster than crawling with your mouse and right-clicking some icon in the start menu. You sound like someone who'd come off as an amateur to me.

We just want a drat option to revert to the old start menu, that's what the rage is about. It's simple and single column - multi-column is a huge, huge design flaw for keyboard users. I'll be first in line looking for old-school start menu emulators.

Then I'm a 13-year amateur system admin that likes using a mouse.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

All the people that bitch about UAC need to loving take a look at Linux and Mac OS X (you know, operating systems that are not famous for having a horrific loving LACK of security like Windows was).

I lose track of all the drat prompts I receive under Ubuntu and Mac OS X. And those require me to type in my password over and over and over instead of just being able to hit "Continue" like in Windows.

UAC was a great step for Windows to have better security. I don't want anything older than Vista touching my systems now.
Did anyone make note that Windows XP:
- Defaulted everyone to Admin accounts at install?
- Defaulted to running every application (regardless of how destructive) with full system access?
- Left all ports open by default until SP2?

XP was just begging to get hosed.

It doesn't matter that UAC is not 100% perfect. It doesn't matter if there are exploits. The fact that it works, it works well, and isn't as annoying as other options means it is a great success.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 5, 2009

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Baggins posted:

And the servers are getting hammered. Unable to get a new key and the download only managing 140k/sec...

Ahwell, not really in a rush anyway.

...and that's just the traffic from the cracking groups.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Godzilla07 posted:

I don't want to deal with the unbelievably slow DL speeds of the hammered MS servers, so I'm going to probably get the version. I do have a TechNet subscription. So can I just put in my license key that I get from TechNet and use it with the RTM from "those" sites?

AlexDeGruven posted:

As long as the build types (Ultimate, Enterprise, etc) match the key you're using (and the hashes match up for safety), then you should be good. It's (technically) only piracy if you don't already have a legitimate right to obtain the DVD.

Your ISP may still send you a NOTICE OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT email if you are caught with a Windows ISO.

I just got this one not too long ago while helping out with the free/public Windows 7 RC:

quote:

Charter Communications

RE: Unauthorized Distribution of the following copyrighted computer program(s):

Dear Sir/Madam:

The Business Software Alliance (BSA) has determined that the above connection, which appears to be using an Internet account under your control, is using a P2P network seen below to offer unlicensed copies of copyrighted computer programs published by the BSA's member companies.

Evidentiary Information:
Notice ID: 197-598xxx
Asset: Microsoft Windows
Protocol: BitTorrent
IP Address: xxx
DNS: xxx.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com
File Name: Microsoft Windows 7 RC Build 7201 (32-Bit)
File Size: 2499923968
Timestamp: 6 Jun 2009 07:07:48 GMT

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Mensur posted:

Xeno, will you have xdn tweaker for 7600 soon?

Yeah, I've had 0.9.1.8 up for a few days, I just forgot to update the text on the links.

7600 is supported.

Factor Mystic posted:

I don't know if this is a solved problem, or if there's another well known way to do this in RTM I don't know about, but the Desktop Peek delay (the button in the taskbar you hover to see your desktop/gadgets) was annoying me so I made a utility to make it work instantly when you hover.

http://bitbucket.org/factormystic/d...tweak/wiki/Home

I added the Aero Peek changer thing to XdN Tweaker in April.

(Win 7 Interface II -> Mouse Hover Delay)

It doesn't have a slider, but it has a few settings between 0ms and 5,000ms.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

soupy posted:

Well.. How can I do it correctly?

Don't run anything as admin unless it is really required (like installing something) maybe?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

JoeCitizen posted:

What is the best way to resolve a 10 second lag when browsing or saving files on a different hard-disk? I've disabled the 'Turn off idle hard disks' in Power Management, and never had this problem with Vista on the same hardware...

The best way is to replace the broken disk.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

JoeCitizen posted:

I just ran the HD tune error can with not even a hiccup and booted off an Ubuntu live cd. The problem doesn't exist outside of Win7. I'm guessing it's something to do with Nod32, the thumbnail cache or indexing.

Maybe indexing.

Maybe a bad app has an even worse Extension loaded in Explorer.

Did it work fine on a clean install, but suddenly start acting up after you loaded all your software?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

IntoTheNihil posted:

The update is warning me that my AAY35W3F IDE Controller won't function after the update. Is this just a compatibility problem or something I shouldn't mess with?

You may be using a Manufacture-released-and-optimized version of a driver (that doesn't have a Windows 7 WHQL version).

Windows will use the generic Microsoft driver after install..

MAYBE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

giZm posted:

That thing is even more stripped down than something that's really stripped down. There isn't even a timeline anymore, they got rid of that. It features a total of two (2!) resolutions for output: 640x480 2.8mbps 30 fps and 320x240 1.5mbps 30 fps.

Sure, you can download and install WMM 2.6 from MS, but that's the XP version, without HD support. Damnit.

What the gently caress?

I hadn't even used it before, but I downloaded it real quick to test it.

How the gently caress are you supposed to use the program without a timeline?

I like Movie Maker.
I put this together several years ago with the XP Movie Maker. All I did was line poo poo up with the timeline to try and sync some of the video with audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE0wM0bT45Y

I don't even know how you can sync up poo poo without the timeline.