Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

In Produce Section posted:

Will a Windows 7 upgrade key work for the RTM?

What does this mean?

Are you asking if a Windows 7 key will work with Windows 7?
What else would a Windows 7 key be for other than Windows 7?
How did you get a key already if you don't know what it's for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

He's asking whether a key for the upgrade license will work with the RTM which is presumably a non-upgrade version. It's not a difficult question to parse.

But there will be multiple Upgrade versions of RTM.

RTM has nothing to do with Upgrade.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

The RTM that you can get RIGHT NOW is not an upgrade version.

As far as I know (if it works like Vista), a Windows disc can be used for a clean install or upgrade.
That being said, Windows 7 Upgrade keys only work with the RTM release of Windows 7. There is nothing else for them to work with.

So I didn't understand the logic of asking if a Windows 7 Upgrade key works with the RTM if that is the only thing they can work with.

Now, if it is different than Vista, and a special "Upgrade" disc of Windows 7 exists that requires an Upgrade key, then that will *still* be an RTM release.

Is this person saying they downloaded a torrent of Windows 7, installed it, and hope to use an Upgrade key to activate it?
Then maybe an Upgrade key would work with that - but was the install done as an Upgrade?
From what I remember, Upgrade installs with Vista had to be done from within Windows, and when an install was done that way, I thought a key was required to be entered at install (I could be wrong).

If the disc was booted to and an install done that way, no upgrade check was performed. If Windows Vista was installed that way, an Upgrade key wouldn't be accepted as it wasn't an Upgrade install.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

toxick posted:

Is anyone with Realtek HD Audio experiencing a lot of audio popping/clicking? It's been happening for me for months now, and every time Realtek releases a new driver, I install it only to be disappointed that the popping it still there.

It happens mostly while I'm watching videos (I use the CCCP with MPC-HC), but it also occurs while listening to music (I use FB2K). I did some Google searches and I'm obviously not the only one with this problem, but so far I've not found a fix for it.

I'm running build 7100.

I've experienced this a lot.

In the past, I swore I fixed it after each update if I changed the sound output from "DVD Quality" (48KHz) to "CD Quality" (44 KHz).

That hasn't worked in a while.

How do you install the drivers?

I usually just manually tell Windows to update the drivers and point it to the INF file.
However, this most recent time I actually ran the SETUP.EXE file and let it do its thing.
I swear I haven't had the audio pops since then.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Tagra posted:

I had nothing but trouble with RealTek drivers so I just let Windows install whatever the hell it thought was best, which was some generic HD audio driver, and I've been happiest with that so far. My only issue is that my microphone volume is extremely low even at max and micboost on, but it was like that WITH the drivers too.

The one Windows auto-installs works "ok", but I don't have full control over all the sound devices.

Like, I'd have my Rear Line Out, and I like have a separate Front Line Out. I did that because it made my old headset (headphone+mic) let me hear WoW and Ventrilo, and I'd leave the game sounds on the main speakers.

I don't recall Windows' built-in driver giving me all the control over the sound like RealTek's drivers. Of course, I'd get crackle sounds with RealTek's drivers.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

LooseChanj posted:

This bugs the hell out of me, especially when xscreensaver provides me with endless entertainment on 'nix. Why the hell does windows have poo poo for screensavers?

I've been insulted before for using Screensavers.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Plorkyeran posted:

Why jump through those hoops instead of just pirating it if you're not going to use a legal copy anyway?

Jumping through hoops gets you your own key, that only you have.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Casao posted:

And pirating means you don't even need a key. So what's your point? It's against the rules and they both are just as easy and undetectable.

Using my own key along with software direct from Microsoft means I'm using an "authentic" copy, and not a hacked/patched/modified dirty copy from some warez site.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

PopeOnARope posted:

Uh Xeno, quite a LOT of the Microsoft stuff can be "appropriated" using straight from the horse images right now. This sort of makes "data purity" arguments moot.

I think a better standpoint to gauge it from is supporting Microsoft Vs being a freeloader.

It doesn't matter if the ISO comes from Microsoft untouched, activation cracks are the only method I know of for activating Windows without a key.

Having patched/modified/cracked system files, provided by some script kiddie in China or something is not something I want.

Even if you leave the system files untouched and go with an emulated Key server for Volume License activation or a patched BIOS for an OEM install to work, that is still a lot of poo poo to gently caress with compared to paying $19 to become a "student" somewhere and getting a real key from Microsoft.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

No. 9 posted:

I really am liking 7, except for the fact that I have no flash support on my 64 bit browser. Firefox is really laggy/buggy as a 32-bit, I'm currently running a 64 port of Firefox. Any solutions? :(

Yeah, stop using 64-bit Firefox.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Dominoes posted:

Will my MSDN Vista key work for a retail upgrade of Windows 7?

Do you mean use your Vista key for an install of Windows 7? What?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Gendor posted:

I didn't see anything posted about this in the last few pages so I hope this isn't a repeat, but either way its a great deal that you should know about.

ACM.org is offering access to MSDNAA for only $19 (USD), this gets you two licenses of windows 7 plus a ton of other Microsoft software.

You can sign up via this link: https://campus.acm.org/public/QJStuWithBook/qjswb_control.cfm?form_type=Student

While you technically need to be a student to get access, ACM doesn't seem to be checking credentials.... Furthermore the license is for academic use only and non transferable, but it is good forever.

I have signed up for this, but they say it will take a day to for them to send me the access for MSDNAA, so I can't guarantee this but the ACM is a reputable place so I don't doubt that everything will work, and hey it's just $19. I will update this when I get access.

So for all you "students" out there this is a great deal that would be hard to pass up!

Is this not mentioned in this thread?

Because there seems to be a whole thread on it already (do a search for threads with MSDNAA in their title). Lots of people got the ACM info from there.

The people running ACM just purchased themselves a giant safe like Scrooge McDuck so they can go swimming in all the money they just made this month.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

thedavid posted:

Have you tried this out to confirm that the french key works on the non-french installation?

YES

I just activated with the Win7 Pro x86 FRENCH key I got from MSDNAA.

I'm using Win7 Pro x64 English/US version.

That's 4 Windows 7 keys per account on ACM.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

toxick posted:

All of that discussion about font rendering, and ClearType still looks like poo poo. Shame.

It's my opinion that NOT having it means everything looks like poo poo.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I've not been very fond of the Windows 7 "dock", since I like seeing the program names on the Task bar. I'm use to identifying apps by name, and not icon.

I also wasn't very fond of hiding tray icons. When fixing systems for clients, they'd always have 90 things running, but hidden, and would question why their computer ran like poo poo. So turning off try icon hiding has been second-nature to me for a while.

However, with Windows 7 on my laptop, the default behavior of Windows 7's Task Bar (the Dock-style icons), and the default tray icon management (with the pop up window, almost like a Mac OS X "Stack"), things fit a LOT better on a small, cramped screen.

On my Desktop system, I have the Task Bar like how it was in Vista, and I keep all tray icons visible. I also have my Task Bar set to 2-high so everything can fit on it. But I also have a 19" widescreen, so I can afford to have a larger Task Bar.

My T43 has a 14" screen and the new look helps. I'm guessing on the 10" and even 8" Netbooks, the new look is pretty much a MUST to get everything to fit.

I'm very happy with Windows 7 on my ThinkPad T43. This is a 2005/2006 system (2.0 GHz Pentium M, 2 Gigs of DDR2 RAM, Radeon X300), and Windows 7 in 2009 runs better on it than Windows Vista ran on it in 2006. It's like a whole new system. New features, better performance, etc.
Lenovo has updated a lot of their software since the beta of Windows 7 as well. So someone installing Windows 7 on any ThinkPad will have a better experience than someone installing Vista on their ThinkPad as recent as 2008.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Psionic Sasquatch posted:

Question : Is there ANYWAY to network in any shape between windows xp and windows 7? I'm the only one at my house running windows 7 and this is proving to be a real pain. Sorry if this has already been asked and answered a thousand times.

What are you trying to do?

Do they both have a password set?

Did you share a folder on each to make sure the proper firewall exceptions have been made?

Can you ping each system from the other?

Networking should work nearly same in 2k/xp/vista/win7/mac/linux.

Windows usually has default policies requiring a password, and the firewall set to keep those ports closed. Making sure to have a password set and sharing a folder fixes that right up.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Psionic Sasquatch posted:

Was trying to share files, I did a quick google search and couldn't find any answers. I get a prompt for a username and password to login on my xp machine when trying to access files (though shared on the win7 box). I can't find where to create or locate or remove this username and password. It's probably something really simple I'm just missing it because I'm looking in the wrong place, just installed win7 like 2 nights ago.

It's asking for a username/password of an account on the system you are trying to access.

It's basically logging into the remote system to gain access to files/resources.

So put in the name AND PASSWORD of an account on the XP system that has appropriate access (Share access and NTFS access). If the account you are trying to "log in" with doesn't have a password, then create one. Blank Password = No Access.

If you don't know where to find where to make accounts at in XP, open Control Panel and look for something that looks like "User Accounts" or something. I usually right-click My Computer and click "Manage", but that type of interface won't let you work with users if you are using XP Home.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Thank you very much for the help - will make sure to write all 4 down. Still a tad confused, can I keep this in a notepad file and use it say, 1 year down the line as a new key, or will they expire at a certain point if not used?

They are yours. No one else gets them. They do not expire.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
:ninja:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

mcyahwe posted:

I didn't mean upgrading XP itself, but switching from xp to win7, if that's what you are talking about?

There were like a thousand changes from XP to Vista. From a re-written sound engine with application independent sound control, a new 3D-accelerated GUI & window controls, a much improved security model with account auto-elevation, and everything in-between.

Windows 7 refines and improves on everything Vista had, plus still manages to include new features like an all-new Task Bar (more like the Mac OS X Dock), Aero Peek, Aero Shake, a new Tray Icon manager, and to top it all off it does all that and still has a smaller system footprint than Vista had, requiring less disk space and less memory.

So, uh, I didn't think there was any reason to use XP with Vista out, and Windows 7 is a very nice upgrade from Vista. Especially since it runs better than Vista did on many older systems.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
14 years of experience with Windows has taught me to never do upgrade installs.
I don't care what kind of "painless" upgrade experiences others have had, or the theoretical differences (or lack of) between NT 6.0 and 6.1. I wouldn't loving do it.

Windows accumulates poo poo. This includes Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Even if I'm not upgrading to something else, and just going from Vista to Vista or Win7 to Win7, every few months I will use a boot disc to rename \Windows, \Users, \Program Files, etc and install a clean install of Windows. It gets rid of a lot of the poo poo that is left over from various program installs.

Java installs, Adobe installs, Apple install, etc. They copy their Windows Installer MSI files all over. I've seen some systems with a dozen copies of the QuickTime install files before. poo poo gets nested deep. \Users\Name\AppData\Local\Apple\Someshit\Whatever\Fucknuts\dildos. I've seen systems where most of the hard drive was full of Crash Dump logs stored in a half-dozen deep folder structure.

Even if you try to keep all your folders clean, stupid issues develop over time. I've had crap before where something would access my floppy drive randomly every now and then. Or maybe a right-click context menu would take a long time to pop up. As much as I love using AutoRuns to look for all the mysterious poo poo loaded, it isn't a cure-all.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

LooseChanj posted:

Nope, I just do the delete the icon cache file, kill explorer and restart it dance. But since I rarely turn off the computer it's not a major deal. And I don't use vnc, but hmmm.

Delete the icon cache, then change from 32-bit color to 16-bit color.

Win7 and Vista share the same icon cache bug.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Falloutboy posted:

Thanks, I'll try out the RTM then.

Yeah, you can "try" the RTM for 120 days. You'll be able to buy it before 120 days passes.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Tivac posted:

I've pinned a bunch of shortcuts to my Windows Explorer shortcut on my taskbar, some of the files have been moved around since then & now the shortcuts are invalid. Right-clicking & choosing "unpin" doesn't do anything. Neither does using the shortcut, getting this popup, and choosing "Yes".

In other weird Windows 7 bugs, I store my media on my Windows Home Server. Every now & then while watching a video I'll lose access to 2/3 of the folders & files. Everything gets grayed out & gray "X"s are overlaid on the icons.

Anybody else ever seen these sorts of issues before? They're driving me a little crazy.

The location information for the Start Menu pinned items is stored in a special place. There was an issue with going from one version to another (Upgrading and not a clean install) where invalid shortcuts could NOT be removed. You had to manually delete them out.

I can't remember where. I posted a fix on here somewhere. Just Google for it.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

fishmech posted:

No they don't. Vista/7 Home Premium is the same price as XP Home, Vista Business/7 Pro is the same price as XP Pro, Vista/7 Ultiamte is the same price as XP Pro + Plus! for XP.

If you add inflation, it's gotten cheaper.

I don't know where to look it up, but as far as I know:

Windows 98: $200, $230-$250(?) with Plus!
Windows XP Home: $200, $230-$250(?) with Plus!
Windows Vista Home Basic: $200

Windows Vista Home Premium: $260. $10 more than Windows+Plus! (but includes Media Center, which was OEM-only before and so can't be priced exactly).

Windows 2000 Professional: $300
Windows XP Professional: $300, $350 w/ Plus!
Windows Vista Business: $300
Windows 7 Professional: $300

Vista Ultimate: $320 (cheaper than XP w/ Plus!). Although this *was* something insane before like $400. Microsoft has since dropped the price on it.

So yeah, the $200 price for the crippled "Home" versions and $300 price for the "Pro" versions seems pretty standard.

The only people that complain about the price are the ones that probably haven't purchased Windows before.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

I solve that by not using UAC. Until Microsoft finds a way for me to say an application can do something, and can always do it without asking me, I am not using UAC.

What pisses me off is there isn't just a way to only pop up UAC when an application does something on its own. If I am running something, I shouldn't have to click through a bunch of windows just to start it up. I just want pop ups when some program is trying to install or run something else. I think the first setting of UAC would do something like this, but UAC never remembers anything I tell it, so what is the point?

Woah, make sure you never, ever use Linux or Mac OS X then!

The amount of prompts for changing system settings on those operating systems can be mind-numbing. Those prompts require you to type in your password over and over and over to continue (and not just click "Continue" like in Windows).
I end up blanking my password before doing a lot of system changes in Linux or Mac OS X just to cut down on how annoying the prompts are (which just makes those "Mac vs PC" commercials that must more retarded considering Apple made fun of Vista's UAC prompts when it had a lot more annoying prompts in Mac OS X).

UAC is one of the absolute best thing to happen to Windows is a long loving time. It's right up there with Windows going 32-bit for the consumer in 1995, and Windows going with the NT kernel for consumers in 2001.

You really prefer things without UAC? That means the most destructive malware and most retardedly written applications can happily destroy anything they want in your OS. Windows was actually designed to let this happen before, and only Linux and Mac OS X actually tried to prevent it. Windows has an absolute lovely security record. UAC is a great step to improve security. It puts Windows security back up at a Linux and Mac OS X level.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

SecretFire posted:

Yeah except the part where they neutered the security aspects of UAC in Windows 7.

Some system changes are auto-elevated. So yeah, it is possibly to change something by accident under Windows 7. This was to reduce the frequency of prompts for some common action.

Applications will still trigger it the same as far as I know.

So yeah, some retarded app trying to write to Windows or Program Files will still trigger UAC, and retarded functions like Winamp trying to re-set file associations on every launch will still trigger UAC.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Philthy posted:

I never get prompted very often on my iMac. I turned off UAC in Vista because it was way too excessive. I plan on upgrading to Windows 7, so I guess I'll see if they've toned it down a poo poo ton or not.

fishmech posted:

Bro, you need to realize that this is because OS X apps have been part of a proper security system from the start. Where most of your Windows apps probably expect admin access all the time.

Yeah, what you said.

Mac OS X has enforced the "stay in your Home folder" thing since it started. Any app designed for Mac OS X is designed for "regular user, stay in home folder" type of use. So, less elevation prompts will be seen. Apple happily drops support for old software, so you're less likely to have trouble apps.

Windows, which tries to stay compatible with EVERY version ever released (it is only with the 64-bit versions that they are finally dropping the compatibility with Windows 1/2/3.xx versions of Windows!), started out using a very simple Single-User only style of "put your poo poo where you want, and hey things will work better if you put your poo poo in the SYSTEM location the OS uses" type of design.

Remember all the INI files in C:\WINDOWS ? all the DLL files every app would copy to C:\WINDOWS, windows\SYSTEM, and then windows\SYSTEM32?
Old programs, stuff that installed to locations like "C:\APPNAME", would then write their settings to "C:\APPNAME\APPNAME.INI" (where else would they put their settings back then? DOS/Windows was single-user, and there was no home folder.)
Then when things moved to "\Program Files", apps would STILL write their settings to the App folder.

Any application that still triggers UAC on launch is written with a Single-User, "Admin-Only" Windows 3.1/95/98 mentality. Isn't it time to loving DROP that style of writing software?

Any software designed for Windows 2000 and newer should know to put things in %AppData% only. Settings. Files. Everything. No UAC prompts then.

I'm loving shocked that software is still written today by any professional company that would trigger UAC during regular use.
What percentage of users are running something based on the DOS/9x kernel still?

UAC is something put in place by Microsoft to both protect the system and to weed out retarded software that is designed with older versions of Windows in mind. It's a great in-between tool that brings in a new era while still allowing old things to work.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

ChronoBasher posted:

I'm having a issue with Digsby on my taskbar. I've got it pinned, but whenever I open it, it still opens in a new icon on the bar.

PIC:

Any Digsby Win7 users have this issue?

That's usually an issue of an app having two EXE files.

Can you tell it to Pin the one it shows open, and then un-pin the other one?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I was working on a few more things for XdN Tweaker.

One feature (shown) toggles the display of the regional themes. I have no clue how it works in locations other than those mentioned (en-AU, en-CA, en-GB, en-US, en-ZA).
So right now I have it do this:
When you click Enable (themes or wallpaper), it tries to add all.
When you click Disable (themes or wallpaper), it will try to disable all except the one for your region, since that is the one that should have been enabled on a default installation.
I'm not sure what to do for other locales. Perhaps disable all that were added, since I'm guessing you may have some other one enabled.

Another thing is to toggle off/on the "Libraries" folder on the left side of the Explorer windows. Some people don't use them and may want that folder removed.

One thing I'm putting in for XP/Vista/Win7 is an improved method for disabling AutoRun/AutoPlay.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Well, as with all keys, if it doesn't activate after you've used it on a few hundred systems, just call the 1-800 number and tell the automated system that this is the FIRST and ONLY install, and they will activate it for you.

They have a very iron-clad system there. They are hoping that the annoyance of slowly typing in a 100-digit number (or however long it is) will deter enough people away from doing multiple installations. When the fact is the phone activation system is just a minor annoyance to be able to install and activate an unlimited number of Windows installations without paying.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Many applications will not prompt on saving stuff, though. So moving the file for the application may be a good thing.

I have several programs (poo poo unfortunately compiled in 2009) that still default to saving its INI and other settings file in the same directory as itself.

Do you know how this was handled in XP? Cryptic error messages and crashes.
Of course, that didn't happen if you were using your computer wrong by by running as admin (the Windows fix to EVERYTHING) - as this allowed the program to save its file wrong.
Vista/Win7 get around these stupid crashes by redirecting the file writes somewhere else.

I would get calls not because peoples' "files were gone", but because some app would give a cryptic, meaningless error message on launch or quit. Turns out it was trying to write its changes to the \Program Files\ directory, was getting blocked, and didn't have a properly written exception handling.
We'd end up giving the "Everyone" group read/write to its single folder.

I've had no issue with programs re-reading their files from the VirtualStore. I just figured Windows would auto-redirect the reads right back to that folder. I thought it was a great solution to dumb programming.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Johnny B. Goode posted:

Holy poo poo. Windows automatically defrags your hard drives weekly from a fresh install. You don't have to mess with any settings or anything.

Going from XP to 7 freaking rocks.

Vista has been doing this for years. ^_^

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Bozz posted:

Oh my god, that's brilliant. I love how much thought has been put into this.

Having skipped Vista, I can only echo Johnny B. Goode's sentiment:
Going from XP to 7 freaking rocks.

Well, going from XP to Vista rocked for me.

I get a kick out of the web sites I've seen that tout Windows 7's "new features", and then show something that many Windows users have been using for years.

Check boxes to select items? That's been available since 2006!
Many people seemed to have skipped Vista because of word-of-mouth. "Oh, it sucks? Well I won't be using it then!" - and because of that, tons of people missed out on the THOUSANDS of new features, fixes, and enhancements Windows Vista offered.

Rename a file without selecting file extension? Vista. Auto defrag? Vista. Check boxes to select items? Vista. Auto elevation for non Admins? Vista. 3D accelerated Desktop? Vista. Per-application sound control? Vista. Shift-right click for "Command Prompt Here"? Vista. WinKey+type for app and file search (like Mac Spotlight)? Vista. Properly-themed Command Prompt? Vista. WinKey+Tab flip3D? Vista.
New kernel with improved video driver-crash recovery? Vista. Paint defaulting to PNG? Vista. Desktop gadgets? Vista.

Windows 7 does have some new features. No visible Sidebar required for gadgets, the Start Menu can expand to show program options, Display and Theme management windows are streamlined, etc. The biggest new thing is probably the new Mac OS X Dock-like Task Bar. Other than than, most of the "new stuff" people will experience in Windows 7 came out with Vista.

If so many people didn't dismiss Vista before trying it, they would have seen what an amazing operating system it was.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

frankenbeans posted:

I know exactly what you mean. I only know about 3 people that run Vista. The main reason from everyone else was "I heard it sucked". It totally didn't. Even pre-SP1, I never had any issues at all. I kept my old XP install in case I had some programs that wouldn't work. I only booted into XP twice, both times just to transfer settings/configs across.

I still use XP at work though, so every time I come home, it's like an upgrade.

Every time I use XP, I always think "I wish it did this. I wish I could do that. Why can't we just force all users to Vista?"

Security in XP scares me. It defaults to admin, with no confirmation when anything destructive tries to run. You can try running as a "Regular" user, but then it breaks so much. You'll end up with "Access Denied" errors over and over when trying to do stuff. You have to log out of a User account and back in as Admin, or dick around with "Run as...", which doesn't always work. I would try to do a Run As on explorer.exe, so that things I launched from there would have admin rights. Logging in as a regular user in XP is just so crippling.

In Vista, it simply prompts and auto elevates if you need additional access. It makes working on a system so much easier. So if you hop on a user's computer to make some changes, you DON'T have to log out - EVERYTHING is available to you from their account, thanks to UAC and auto elevation.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

keyframe posted:

Quick question,

where do I go to change the size of the window borders? I remember making them thinner in Vista but cant find the option in win 7.

Personalize -> Window Color -> "Advanced appearance settings..."

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Bobulus posted:

Hey, dumb Windows 7 question.

Installed windows 7 on a brand-new computer in April, and started noticing in August that the hard drive was failing. When I went back and reviewed the Windows 7 system logs, I found out the drive has been reporting bad blocks since June, and Windows 7 had never said a word to me.

Is there a way to get it to pop up an alert if the hard drive finds bad blocks? I'm running a replacement drive and it's a pain to remember to manually check the log regularly.

This is weird, because I've bitched that Windows has a history of happily recording disk errors. It will log thousand of disk errors, bad blocks, and every possible "worse case" issue with a hard drive - and NEVER once alert the user that their poo poo is FAILING.

Someone said that starting with Vista, it now pops up a message warning you that it recorded a disk error.

And you're saying with Windows 7, it never warned you? I'm wondering if they removed that feature from Windows 7 (why?), or if the Vista user was just full of poo poo.

Just today I tried to get a system up and running that would no longer boot. I finally opened the Event Logs, and it has been recording dozens of "disk" errors for the past several weeks (bad block). No one thinks to look at the Event Viewer on a daily basis, so how the hell was the end user supposed to know the drive was failing?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Vista Ultimate dropped from $400 to $320 or something.
Windows 7 Ultimate is starting at $320.

Price dropping is NOT typical, but they've never gone up. Even over the years, they've stayed around the same.

Windows 2000 Professional: $300
Windows XP Professional: $300
Windows Vista Business: $300
Windows 7 Professional: $300

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Belldandy posted:

I really hope the release of Windows 7 kicks Cisco in the rear end to get with it.

Windows 2003/XP went 64-bit 6 years ago.

Vista x64, with Microsoft's "must be 64-bit compatible in order to even be considered Vista Certified" requirement happened 3 years ago.

Cisco has been sitting with their thumbs up their asses this entire time. They haven't supported poo poo since XP was released in 2001, 8 years ago.

Why would you think Windows 7 would change anything?

Like others have mentioned, I started using a Virtual Machine running 32-bit just for VPN access.
If your VPN device is set up for Split-Tunneling, you can use the 32-bit Cisco VPN client under XP Mode in Windows 7 - it works almost like a native client. Just run it from the Windows 7 Start Menu and even minimize it to the Windows 7 Tray.
Make sure to enable Sharing in XP, and use "route add" command to add the VPN IP ranges you need access to under Windows 7.

I have a crappy guide here:
http://xenomorph.net/guides/cisco-vpn-x64/

I haven't really done VPN in a while, as I have barely needed it for my current employer. At my last employer, I'd stay connected 24/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Is it possible to have Windows 7 record TV in the Vista DVR-MS format and not the new WTV format?

If not, I guess I'll have to upgrade our last Vista system to Windows 7.

I started recording TV on my computer, and now I find out my wife can't watch it. :/