Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Found this in regards to the last few posts:
http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/05/16/windows-feedback-program-participants-can-get-windows-7-gift

Note that Windows Feedback Program is not the same as "ran the windows 7 beta and pressed the feedback button sometimes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Regarding VirtualPC for Ubuntu:

Some suggestions in this recent thread may also be useful to you, not for specifically getting that running, but for alternative ways that others perform similar tasks.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

kapinga posted:

Never seen the third one. What's in it, if you don't mind?

I want to know this too, so we can point and laugh at the poorly coded installer.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
From http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/07/21/when-will-you-get-windows-7-rtm.aspx?PageIndex=6, comments, page 6

quote:

Brandon LeBlanc

Posted on: August 05, 2009 at 1:25AM

Update regarding MSDNAA - I'm told folks can expect the Windows 7 RTM bits to become available on MSDNAA around August 14th (8/14). I'll post more info once I get it. Sorry for the delay to the MSDNAA folks asking about availability.

drat, I was looking forward to installing this tomorrow, too. :(

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Saltin posted:

This is just the Academic stream right? MSDN proper is still expecting it tomorrow as far as I know.

Yeah, says so on the same site.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
So now that I'm on RTM, I'm kind of disappointed to see that the multiple monitor stuff was never improved: there's still no ultramon-esque taskbar for the second monitor, and dragging something toward the side of one monitor where it borders another doesn't activate the "resize zone" feature.

Are there any workarounds or utilities for either of these? Is everyone just using ultramon still?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Armourking posted:

I've had Windows XP since about 2002. The same XP install. It's been repaired, moved and been through Intel->AMD->Intel, but I've never reinstalled.

Same here. It's almost sad to finally let it go. :(

This looks cool too, thanks.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 15, 2009

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Could it be attributed to a difference in what drivers you installed? "Laggy to open programs" can easily come from a optimizing chipset driver or more specifically the lack thereof.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I don't know if that's a question that there's a universal answer to. Different manufacturers will have worked with MS to different degrees to get things into that DB or not. If you're having issues, see what is available in each place. Don't forget to check the manufacturer of the device, as well, in addition to the manufacturer of the laptop.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
It does that anyway. When something else calls for the ram it will free it.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Doubtful. I'm no memory export, but I imagine it's much like deleting a file on a hard disk: you just mark it as "free" instead of "used," which takes effectively no time.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I'm only speculating, but perhaps only uncompressed wav files are supported as system sounds and those you're trying to use are mp3-encoded?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

SpelledBackwards posted:

I haven't really warmed up to the concept of libraries yet, so I found hacks online (example) that turn your Windows Explorer shortcut in the taskbar to open My Computer instead. When you do this, "Computer" comes up just fine. However, if you type a new address into the address bar in order to find a different location (such as a network path, D:\, etc.), a new Explorer window with the request path will open just fine, but the current "Computer" window will give you an error popup saying that location is unavailable even though the new window spawned just fine to the requested path. So then I have to close the window that errored.

Has anyone else run into this, and do they know a workaround? Everyone whose Win7 computer I've tried this on at work has had the same isssue.

I never really type a path up there, but upon trying it, I have this issue as well. Additionally, just *clicking* on one of the drive icons sometimes spawns my choice in not one but two additional explorer windows. However, there is only a fixed percent change for this to happen. Some instances of explorer have the curse and others work just fine. I don't know a solution besides not performing this tweak and it's still worth it.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

4 Day Weekend posted:

To everyone buying Crysis:

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23117

It's a mod that makes the game look better AND less taxing on resources. For comparisons sake, I was running on high (level 4) on a C2D, 9800GT(8800GT) and 2GB of RAM, 1440x900, but no AA and I was getting 40fps average. Not bad for 3 year old system that was midrange when I bought it.

Yeah, I'll second this. It's not so much a "mod" as a frontend to create an autoexec.cfg file that sets some of the million rendering cvars to combinations that work pretty well together. If you have a low-end system, then it will give you much better FPS at similar visuals, or the same FPS with better visuals. If you have a high-end system, it will let you turn it up beyond the maximum settings. This will also enable maximum settings (or give you something comparable if not better) on dx9 with no issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Grey Area posted:

How about no.

Yeah better disable UAC so this thing can write one file one time since that's all it is. Clearly telling people to "run as administrator" would have been much harder (or having them actually code it to prompt properly). :downs:

This one is worse:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/24790/
because it's actually EA telling everyone to disable UAC, instead of some modder genius.