Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myself
Jul 17, 2001

So I installed Windows 7 RC (build 7100)

I'm kind of having this issue, well I have an Nvidia MSI Geforce N9600GT card, and I installed the latest drivers at first, 190.38--so I played a game, Left 4 Dead, and my fan speed went up to probably like 100%, and when I quit the game it wouldn't go down at all. So I installed older drivers 185.81, which still had a really high fan speed in game, but at least went down to normal after I quit, and the same with 186.18 which I installed and have installed now (latest ones before 190.38).

I know the GPU does more work during gaming and heats up of course, but I really don't remember it being that loud, as loud as it is when the computer starts up, when I played this game in XP. If anyone has any insight into this, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myself
Jul 17, 2001

fishmech posted:

Have you tried installing a 72xx build? It fixed a lot of stuff for me and it still uses the RC keys.

Hmmm, is it possible to update 7100 to that or do I have to format?

myself
Jul 17, 2001

Are there any known issues with Windows 7 + Nvidia cards and fan speed? I posted earlier how with newest Nvidia drivers, in 7, the fan speed doesn't go down after playing a game (it was Left 4 Dead), I installed slightly older Nvidia drivers and the fan speed still seems really high during games (both in Ghostbusters and L4D) but goes down afterwards at least when I quit the game. I dunno, maybe it is supposed to go quite loud in cooling the card but I don't remember it being this loud before.. the card I'm using is a Geforce 9600 GTS.

myself fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 31, 2009

myself
Jul 17, 2001

Well I installed DirectX 10 and cleaned my card with airduster and the problem went away, so one of those things fixed it (probably the dusting :p)