Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
This is surreal: I'm actually using native Windows apps and loving them. IE8 is fast and its explorer integration is tight. Windows Media Player 12 has a shitload of codecs built-in and a FUCKTON of features that I would normally need to download third-party apps for (you can stream your music and video libraries to your mobile computers using Windows Live, for example).

Just one problem right now: I can't figure out how Windows Media Player does Internet Radio. There's just not a button for it anywhere. Anyone found anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

The Java SDK installed on a 32-bit computer I've got running without a hitch, but my 64-bit computer's install doesn't seem to be working, even though there were no errors during installation.

javac.exe is not a valid executable in command prompt. Does that mean an environment variable isn't set? Am I missing something? Are there any helpful guides for setting up the SDK on Vista/7/64-bit?

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

Chemical Shift posted:

Just installed this on my laptop, everything is working fine, I'm really enjoying it. I do have one problem that hopefully someone can help me with--it's not recognizing my touchpad as a touchpad, but instead as a PS/2 mouse. It still works fine for the most part, except that I can't scroll in the pad like I used to be able to. For reference I'm on a Dell Inspiron 6400, 2 years old. Any clues/Drivers I should download? I upgraded from Vista Ultimate

Edit: Wasn't using my head tonight, I guess. Downloaded the driver from Dell and it works fine.

I do have a general question though. I have all this stuff in my Windows.old folder, but I don't think I want it in there. I got all the stuff I wanted to (music, documents, etc.), but there's a lot still in the Windows.old files. Is there any reason to keep that stuff around? It seems like it's just going to be eating up space on my hard drive.

I'm pretty sure that's just a dump of all the old files on your system. If you're sure there's nothing else in there you need to salvage you can delete it.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

-snip-

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 10, 2014

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

-snip-

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 10, 2014

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

-snip-

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 10, 2014

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

-snip-

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 10, 2014

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

quadratic posted:

Is it easy (or practical) to convert my current XP install to a VHD...

What, and run it in a virtual machine?

My guess is that, if it IS possible, it would be incredibly difficult. I've only heard of Parallels doing that on Macs, and that's only because the list of hardware it would need to know how to emulate is extremely short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

Are they making the server edition available for preview as well? I'm reading reports that it is but can't find a download link anywhere.