Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I'm having an annoying problem with Internet Explorer 9 (version 9.0.8112.16421) not storing the webpages I visit in my browsing history. This problem comes up every few months and I usually solve it by lowering the amount of days Internet Explorer saves the of list websites I visit (I'm at 31 days at the moment). The problem is that it keeps happening and it shouldn't matter how long I store the webpages for because I really don't browse that much. I've searched on Google and haven't found anything that fixes my problem. Has anyone ran into something similar? I'm running on Windows 7 32 bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

Intrepid00 posted:

Did you try Options > Advance > Reset ?

Just tried that and it cleared my browsing history completely and it still isn't updating when I visit a new website.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I got a question about setting up user accounts in Windows 7 Ultimate.

I want to set up my computer so when somebody turns it on it automatically logs on to a default "standard user" profile. If I want to use the computer I want to be able to simply log off and enter my password to get into my administrator profile. Is there a way to set this up?

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I just got a new work laptop to replace an old one that is having some hardware issues. Both are running Windows 7 and I want to transfer all the old stuff on to the new one with as little work as possible (so bascially all the settings, programs, files, users, etc... are the same). Can I use the Windows utility to create a system image, upload it to a networked hard drive and then use it on the new laptop from there? Is there a better way to do this?

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

Tantalus posted:

Windows Easy Transfer tool. It will do everything you asked.

It doesn't seem to transfer and install programs. Is there a utility or program that will do this?

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

Factor Mystic posted:

Even if there was, I wouldn't trust it. Migrating programs is a really hard problem, because they can have hardware or configuration specific side effects that can't safely be translated to a new system by anyone but that program. There is the exception of Steam and some other games, where the bulk of the files can be straight copied.

Yeah, that's what I'm finding out. It seems like there used to be a way to straight up copy a hard drive onto a new one so that you wouldn't be able to tell that you were using a new hard drive.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
How do I run a .bat or .cmd file as an administrator in Windows XP Professional? I made batch file to run a robocopy script and it runs just fine in Windows 7 assuming you right click and select "Run as Administrator." However, the computer I want to run it on is running Windows XP. When I try to run the script on it or schedule a task it simply prints out the commands in a command windows endlessly without actually executing them.

Also, I'm just assuming it's a security issue that keeps the batch file from running since I can run a robocopy script from the command prompt with no problems. Could it be something else?

Smoking_Dragon fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 19, 2013

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

I'm still having trouble. I'm signed in as the administrator and the cmd window still just fills up with the commands without actually executing them.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

Grawl posted:

What do you mean by that? Can you share the batch file?

Sure, here is the code I used:

code:
::Switches:
::(MIR) Mirrors sourcedrive to destination drive
::(R)etry each copy up to 15 times
::(W)ait 5 seconds between attempts
::(LOG) creates log file
::(NP) do not include progress txt in logfile; this keeps filesize down
::(DCOPY:T) Uses source timestamps on the destination drive

::Source path
set sourcepath=c:\sourcefolder

::Destination path
set destinationpath=d:\destinationfolder

::Log path
set logpath=C:\logs\

:: Log path name, include format yyyy-mm-dd#hh-mm-ss.ms in log filename
set filename=Robocopy_%date:~-4,4%-%date:~-7,2%-%date:~-10,2%#%time::=-%.txt 

::Run command
robocopy %sourcepath% %destinationpath% /MIR /R:15 /W:5 /LOG:%logpath%%filename% /NP /DCOPY:T
As I said, this runs pefectly on my Windows 7 laptop as long as I right click and select "Run as Administrator." Otherwise it just scrolls the robocopy command in the cmd window endlessly without executing it.

In Windows XP there doesn't seem to be a "Run as Administrator" option (even though I'm signed in as one) and it scrolls the robocopy command no matter what I do.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

Grawl posted:

What happens if you run the command manually? Or if you remove the variables and just code it into the "run command"?

It would seem that my version of Robocopy is out of date. Is there a way to update it?

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

Medullah posted:

Are you trying to use a variable for the user directory, by chance? I don't remember the specifics, but if you're using something like %WINDIR% to specify the default windows directory, I'm pretty sure that changed between XP and 7.

No, it seems like trying to use set sourcepath, set destinationpath and the fancy date and time based filename thing I was trying to do for the log doesn't work well with Robocopy X010 or perhaps they don't run well in batch files. Every time I used them in in the .bat file I was running on the XP computer it simply wouldn't execute the Robocopy script. All those things I can deal with but not being able to use /DCOPY:T (it was added in X026) to transfer the timestamps is annoying. So far I haven't been able to find a way to upgraded the version of Robocopy installed on my XP laptop. I'm going to try the idea Flipperwaldt came up with tomorrow but I'm not very hopeful at this point.

EDIT: Found it, if anyone else ever needs to install the X026 version of robocopy on an old lovely computer running Windows XP you can download it from here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/d/0/fd05def7-68a1-4f71-8546-25c359cc0842/UtilitySpotlight2006_11.exe

It will also install the GUI version of Robocopy which is nice I guess but I don't think you can schedule it to run at certain times. For that you need to create a .bat file.

Smoking_Dragon fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 20, 2013

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

Flipperwaldt posted:

Did you verify with an ECHO command that %logpath%%filename% resolves to a valid filename (I mean opn the XP computer, it obviously works on the Windows 7 one)? Differing locale settings, for example, might result in different outputs for %date% and %time% strings. If that maybe makes a colon sneak into your filename, weird things could happen.

After even MORE trail and error I have discovered that when using a batch file to run robocopy the command prompt needs to be in the same directory as robocopy. This seems like it should have been obvious, however, this is not the case in Windows 7 or if running the robocopy command manually from the command window. In both those cases it seems to run robocopy just fine despite not being in the same directory.

Anyhow that's my theory for right now, it seems to change every time I mess with it!

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
Is there a way to get Microsoft Excel 2010 to display those red squiggly lines under misspelled words like it does in Word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
Quick, dumb question: Our IT department has changed the Windows Update settings so it's completely controlled by them (see attached) remotely. However, when I view the update history the only updates since September of last year are security definition updates for Microsoft Endpoint Protection. Is this normal or could there be a problem with my laptop not being updated? I'm running Window 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, build 7601).

Only registered members can see post attachments!