Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cadmium
Feb 16, 2002

Just 'aving a laff...

CombatMedic posted:

Speaking of video drivers, for two days in a row, I've rebooted and found that I am in non-Aero mode because my display doesn't support Aero. I have a 9600M with the newest driver, and it worked just fine 2 days ago. I'm gonna have to do a clean install if this keeps up. I'm not gonna do a system restore everyday.

I've just started experiencing this too with my 9600GT X2 and dual monitors.

Everything was fine for weeks, but now when I reboot one monitor will work with Aero, the other will be black but the cursor will show up. Then I'll loose Aero.

Sometimes it Aero will come back with both monitors working, sometimes it stays dead with one monitor.

Going to try reinstalling the drivers tonight, but it's pretty annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cadmium
Feb 16, 2002

Just 'aving a laff...
So is there any documentation that Windows 7 RC will work for the Upgrade version? Other than a questionable mention in a video on the windows team blog site, I can't find any reference to it.

I built a new machine a few months ago and have been running the beta/rc since waiting for W7 to come out, so I don't have any other upgradable OS's lying around to use.

I'd love to take advantage of the pre-order.

cadmium
Feb 16, 2002

Just 'aving a laff...

kapinga posted:

If you truly have no install media (seriously not even the old XP install from your previous machine?) its a gamble.

I think at best I have a Dell recovery disk for an old laptop running XP. Anyone know if that would work?

cadmium
Feb 16, 2002

Just 'aving a laff...

kapinga posted:

You may or may not be able to install with that. Some OEMs put special flags in the bios and prevent the disc from installing if it doesn't see them.

I have used a Dell install CD to install to an HP machine before, so ymmv.

Does the old OS have to be installed or do you just need the disc?