Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Storm- posted:

I have an Asus nForce4 motherboard, and noticed that the drivers on the Nvidia website are now legacy drivers that only go as far as Vista, no Win7. Same for Asus' website. Will Vista version work? Planning on using the 64-bit version, if it matters.

Otherwise I'm ready to upgrade, I don't really use any special programs or hardware that could cause me problems.
I would be shocked if you had to install any motherboard/chipset drivers at all. They're probably baked right into the install CD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

MrPuffkins posted:

Any other ideas?
Bad ram. Run a memtest.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Imgburn for burning isos and poo poo, and CDBurnerXP for handmade compilations. Both are free.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I skipped Vista (insert 3 page nerd rage argument about how win7 is just vista with a new name) so I don't know if this problem is endemic to 7 betas or what:

When you minimize a window, the thumbnail shown in the alt-tab switcher or when you mouse over the taskbar icon is frozen in time to when you minimized it. Even the full window shown when you hover over the thumbnail is frozen in time.

Worse, if you wait long enough, the thumbnail goes away completely and the window just shows up as a blank box.

Is this just the way the DWM works? Is there no way to update thumbnails and previews for minimized applications?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Weird, it's been like that for me in both 7077 and 7100 on all 5 PCs I have it installed on. It's a live preview only if the application is on the screen, once it's minimized it goes to a thumbnail frozen at the instant of minimization.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
That's a bummer. I like to keep most of my windows minimized when I'm not using them, and it'd be awesome if I could mouse over an SSH/IRC taskbar thumbnail and see if there's new text or over utorrent/flashget and check the real time status of the downloads without having to restore the application.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Lacc posted:

I hadn't noticed before but Excel doesn't play well with Aero Snap. If its window is maximized, you can't just drag it down to a normal window.
Which Excel? Works fine for me with Excel 2010.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Wow, Mozzie is 4 for 4 so far.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
The only thing I wish the superultrabar had is notifications. I want my Outlook icon to change when I get new mail and tell me how many new messages I have. Tray notifications loving suck, and tray icons are next to pointless now. They're better in 7 than they were in XP, but all they've really done is make it easier to hide them. Time to ditch the tray completely.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

deep square leg posted:

I was thinking about the system tray earlier, too. I used set putty and utorrent in the tray because they were open all the time, but today I realised that they didn't need to be now that there's more space, so set them to the taskbar.

Same here. I used to set any app I could to minimize to the tray and even installed a util that let me minimize any any to the tray by right-clicking the minimize button. There's just no need for that anymore, with the taskbar showing icons only you can have 50 apps open on a widescreen monitor without any sort of issues.

grrowl posted:

There's no way we should be ditching the tray completely, it just needs to be properly sectioned up. System try for background system tasks that need to be accessed, taskbar for active applications. The new windows 7 taskbar has support for badges over application icons, which is what messenger uses to overlay the green/orange/red status icon over its application icon. It would be pretty easy for outlook to add a little highlight icon with a number for new messages, it's just up to them to add the feature to the application
Oh, so it does support changing/overlaying the icons? That's great news, we just have to wait for various developers to add support in for it like the green progress bar and thumbnails for tabs and poo poo.

You're probably right about needing some tray, though. Even if moving forward the rule was "no more tray poo poo" they'd have to find some way to deal with old apps that expected it to be there. How about a button over by the clock that 3D flips the whole taskbar over and shows you all the tray icons as full-sized taskbar buttons. Change the tray into a background process taskbar or something. Then you get thumbnails and jumplists and all that other poo poo for your tray icons.

The tray as a concept is just burnt out, time to rethink it.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 24, 2009

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Factor Mystic posted:

Why? It's not broken. Just drag and drop the icons you don't like into the icon dumpster. Problem solved.
But that's the very definition of burnt out. Why should I have to micromanage those little useless things. The 'solution' is to just sweep them under the rug. If they're so useful, why would I want to hide them? I say bring in something entirely new (that supports a level of backwards compatibility) and force developers to re-think what they need tray icons for.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Factor Mystic posted:

I don't call something you do once and then forget about, probably when you install the program, micromanagement.

Hmm yase forcing developers to do things by making strict changes to the operating system this seems familiar where have I heard this before ???
Holy poo poo man, c'mon, I clearly said "that supports a level of backwards compatibility". You're not even listening to my side of the discussion. I'm glad the tray works great for you, I think it's ripe for replacement. It's bound to be replaced/redesigned sooner or later.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Unexpected EOF posted:

Not to mention that some programs exclusively live in the system tray. One that comes to mind specifically is teamspeak.
What does redesigning the concept of the tray have to do with that? So what if app XYZ lives there exclusively, lots of apps do. I never said "remove the tray and to hell with any programs that want to use it."

All the great poo poo people like about XP and Vista and 7 were all new at one point. Hell the tray itself was new at one point. I really hope whoever is behind designing Windows 8 doesn't take the "it's good enough as it is" approach that you guys are advocating.

Are you all so unimaginative that you can't envision any approach that is as good as the current tray?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Factor Mystic posted:

Yes, you did, even if you didn't realize it. You can't change anything fundamentally without breaking it. The best you can do is half-measures like split token accounts/UAC, and a tray icon dumpster to put icons you don't want so you never have to see them again if you don't want to. These things make changes without breaking Mom's Dumb 1998 Picture Viewer or Stupid In-house Expensive Ten Year Enterprise Solution Server which would prevent sales and cause bad reviews.
Well, I look forward to 15 more years of right clicking on miniscule 16x16 pixel tray icons, after digging through the dumpster for them, of course.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Clear out fellas, this guy used to hack!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

tasslex posted:

Is there something limiting the resolution of Video Playback in Media Player Classic? DRM perhaps? Everything in Media Player Classic looks like rear end. I can tell it's using the proper codecs that I have manually installed, as Process Explorer shows the filters being loaded.
Both MPC and ZoomPlayer look fine to me on 7. Maybe check to see what output renderer you're using for video. VMR7 and 9 both work good for me, maybe you'll have better luck with one over the other.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

toxick posted:

According to the video nerds that put together CCCP, Haali Video Renderer is the best choice, followed by the Overlay Mixer (if your computer can't handle Haali). They seem a bit iffy on EVR at the moment.

It should be noted that Overlay Mixer disables Aero, though.

I played around with all of them, and I'm partial to VMR9 Renderless.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Zoracle Zed posted:

The only issue I've seen in Live 7 is that the menus (File, Edit, etc.) are really big, like there's too much whitespace between menu items. It's such a trivial issue I haven't bothered trying to fix it. All of my hardware (two USB MIDI controllers and one firewire audio interface) work flawlessly.
Do you have a touch screen or tablet laptop? If so, the extra spacing may be intentional.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Jewmanji posted:

Does anyone ever lose the taskbar when the computer wakes up? The only way for me to bring it back it seems, is to restart, but it's pain in the rear end so I spend a ton of time just win+tabbing my way through life.

No idea why that happens, but you should be able to restore it without a reboot by opening task manager and killing any explorer.exe processes and then starting a fresh one.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Moogs posted:

This is not quite related, but I don't know where else to ask: is there a program for XP that does the same thing as dragging a window to the side of the screen in 7? That was one of my favorite features before I bought a widescreen monitor, since that purchase it has become a necessity. If there isn't such a program, I'll just upgrade, but I'd like to avoid that until it actually comes out if possible.

http://tinyurl.com/qndnvo

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

WELL then. Yeah, I have trouble seeing even an SHSC regular having trouble with Home Premium on their own computer, though I suspect that returning to reghacks after XP and 7's policy editor (and maybe Vista's) will be a bit of a pain.
Looks like none of the Home versions support remote desktop. Almost everyone I know likes to remote into their PCs from work or from a laptop at home.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Factor Mystic posted:

It is and forever will be a mystery to me why people naturally reach that conclusion for Windows 7, but on Windows Vista, concluded it made their computer slower. Truly a puzzle for the ages.
I know it's cool to poo poo on people who poo poo on Vista because it's the opposite of what used to be cool so that must be cool now, right guys?

...but Microsoft has actually done a lot of performance improving between Vista and 7 that could explain why a lot of people get much improved performance with 7.

If you're interested in it not being a mystery to you forever and ever you might want to read this blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/default.aspx with particular emphasis on this post: http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/04/25/engineering-windows-7-for-graphics-performance.aspx

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Dogen posted:

Outlook 2010 does it, so it can be done.

Not for me it doesn't. Hell, the tray notifications don't even work for me. Did you have to turn it on somewhere?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Dogen posted:

It's not super noticeable, and it doesn't have a number telling you how many messages you have like mail.app does, but there is a little envelope there on the taskbar icon when I have a new message. I don't recall turning it on anywhere.
On the actual pinned big fullsize icon? Not the tiny one down in the tray?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Dogen posted:

Correct. I do have it pinned, but I don't think that would make a difference.
I got it working. I had to turn off all the notification options and restart Outlook a bunch of times and send myself a few test messages but it's working now. It's small and easily overlooked but it definitely wasn't working at all for me before.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

LooseChanj posted:

Minefield is just what they call all the nightlies I think.
Minefield is the code name for trunk builds, Shiretoko is the code name for the branch builds which are going to be Firefox 3.5. Minefield will probably end up being Firefox 4.0 sometime in 2010.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

syphon posted:

I ended up uninstalling this and installing VMWare.
Which is what anyone SHOULD do given what you and Xeno want. XP Mode is for corporate customers who have some lovely old in-house point of sale or database application that they can't update anymore but NEED to use in order to run their business.

You guys whinging on and on about XP Mode's shortcomings sound like people complaining that Notepad doesn't have all the features of TextMate.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

univbee posted:

Fun fact: Microsoft sent similar DMCA complaints (I think) to people who had a torrent for Windows XP Service Pack 2 after its release. Not the whole OS, just the 250 meg Service Pack installer, which was notoriously difficult to download at the time due to colossal demand.
It's also important to take note of the part of the complaint letter that states the BSA was the one who sent the notice, not Microsoft. This could easily be a case of the BSA's automated system just firing out complaints left and right, or maybe Microsoft tried to get them to go after people on the leaked builds and the BSA didn't know or care to filter out people sharing the public releases. There's absolutely no disincentive to sending out an absolute shitload of DMCA complaints so I doubt they spend any time or money on fine tuning their systems.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I have used drivers made for XP for a bunch of poo poo in Windows 7, mostly USB. Clearly you don't want to be trying XP display or chipset drivers. I got my GBA cart programmer working and that thing is ancient by technology standards.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Nubile Cactus posted:

If I recall correctly, other windows versions just had you insert a windows CD for verification before it would allow for a clean install. Hopefully this will do the same.
I think that changed with Vista. You actually had to have a qualifying previous OS installed to the drive in order to use an upgrade disc.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Alex007 posted:

What do the others do ? :filez:
Yeah. Aside from businesses I don't know anyone who has ever paid for an OS upgrade in the last 10+ years. Either they get by with what they have or they pirate a copy and upgrade. I've always wondered who the hell is buying the retail boxed copies of Windows you see at best buy or staples for $300 or whatever.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

OMGWTFJohnny posted:

I own 2 copies of XP. :sigh:
Well, everyone I know "owns" multiple copies of XP and Vista because it came pre-installed on their hardware. In the years since XP came out, I've probably "purchased" 4 copies of it and 2 more copies of Vista.

I just don't know anyone who has gone out and bought the latest OS to upgrade on their existing hardware.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Alex007 posted:

My mind is blown, I thought that poo poo was over when Win98 died and XP SP2 got out. Seriously, with activation, WGA, and windows updates ... people STLL pirate windows ? Jesus, why do they feel entitled for a free OS ?

gently caress this, MS did a great job with Win7, I'm paying for it, and I'm glad to do it.
You thought software piracy ended 6 years ago? It's only gotten easier. You can go to just about any public tracker and download an iso that has the activation crack embedded. It's so easy I've seen people do it who can barely double click.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Casao posted:

Because to most people, piracy isn't stealing.
But piracy really isn't stealing. It's copyright infringement.

People do it because 1. why pay if you don't have to and 2. everyone else does it. Any social stigma there may have been about "don't copy that floppy" has loooooong since died out.

Everyone in this thread has pirated something, I'd stake my life on it. Most of the people in this thread probably pirate more in a week than most people do all year, we just don't talk about it here.

At this point there's at least 2, maybe 3, generations of people to whom the concept that there might be something "wrong" about downloading movies and music from the internet doesn't even make sense.

If Microsoft really gave a poo poo (they'll make bazillions just selling all the pre-installed OEM copies) they'd offer something extra with a legit purchase that you can't get by pirating it, like the music, movie and game industries are all doing.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Kyre posted:

I didn't see this covered before in this thread so ignore if it was.
It has been. Quite a few times, actually. Microsoft has been saying for a long time that the RTM build won't let you upgrade from the RC.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Can we stop acting like children and get back on topic?

I love jumplists. Does everyone else love jumplists? I am very disappointed with programs that haven't adopted them yet.

Pidgin needs a jumplist that lists my top few contacts so I quickly open IM windows to them.

Firefox needs jumplists of bookmarks and most visited sites and tab previews.

My SSH client needs a jumplist of my saved sessions so I can launch right into one like you can with the Remote Desktop Client.

My RSS reader needs a jumplist that shows feeds with new items.

VVVV Yeah, I saw that, but it's a nasty hack and I'd rather wait for it to be implemented straight into the code or via an Add-On. I'm a picky bitch.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 30, 2009

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

TTBF posted:

Ok I'm having a weird issue. The RC is asking me for my activation key, but it is not accepting either 0 or 1 as acceptable characters. This is a problem, as both of those digits appear a lot in my product key. Does anyone know what is going on?
A Microsoft product key is 25 characters long and looks like XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX and really doesn't contain any 1s or 0s (because they're too easily confused with o and l).

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

redeyes posted:

I'm so unhappy with the Windows 7 pricing I am not buying it. I guess Vista will have to do. Unbelievable MS, you just hosed your best customers. There is a recession going on you stupid fucks.

Microsoft has to do this bizarre balancing act between the home customers and their corporate customers and while I'm sure it's difficult they do a pretty lovely job of it. Having a bunch of silly versions doesn't help matters either.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Unexpected EOF posted:

XP Versions
Then when you multiply those by Retail, Volume, Upgrade and OEM, and then versions that integrated SP1, SP2 and SP3 there's probably over 100 different CDs that exist bearing the name XP. Truly magnificent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Bacon55555 posted:

I only have one optical drive and two HDs. I will try booting from the flash drive and see how that turns out.
Have you ever sucessfully booted this PC from an optical disc? Do you have any pressed official bootable optical media you could try such as a real copy of XP or an OEM system restore disc? What about other burned bootable media? Maybe it hates burned discs. Can you read burned media in the drive at all?