Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Lilac1 posted:

Here, maybe you'll learn something.
http://searchwinit.techtarget.com/s...i213077,00.html

Huh, I learn something new every day. I thought swap files were where programs went to trade old features they didn't use any more and second hand temp files and stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

RTM ISOs are probably so I'm not going to link to them, but ones matching the checksums Microsoft posted have leaked.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Full Circle posted:

Why would microsoft release checksums for unavailable products?

hosed if I know, learn German and ask this guy:

http://blogs.technet.com/dmelanchth...dows-7-rtm.aspx

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

iKickDogs posted:

No, he won't. He can do a clean install.
Or he can copy the contents of his legit Windows 7 DVD to his computer, edit one file, and do an in-place upgrade from the RC to the final, like people running Vista can.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

deep square leg posted:

For the last few years I've been using Launchy, so I'd weaned myself off clicking icons to launch apps anyway. Now that 7 has that functionality inbuilt, I'm a pig in mud.
I still use Launchy. The start menu search isn't clever enough to equate "rdp" as "Remote DesktoP connection" and then learn those personal shorthands.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Flex Mentallo posted:

Is there any way for "pinned" icons to not take up the whole width of a vertical taskbar when the app is not running?

You could try upgrading from Windows 98. That might help any number of issues.

Edit: Actually, try this out, it may appeal to you: http://www.randomnation.co.uk/subsites/7progman/

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Mogomra posted:

Has anyone gotten CoreAVCDecoder.ax to install? I used run -> 'regsver32 CoreAVCDecoder.ax' but it spouts some nonsense error.

If I can't install CoreAVC what will I use to watch HD video?
Just run the installer of your legitimately purchased copy of CoreAVC. That's what I've been doing with my copy since the RC and it installs fine every time.

However feel free to check out ffdshow if you need a free h.264 codec.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

deep square leg posted:

I had thought Backup was like system restore, while I only want to backup selected documents (I couldn't care less about the system drive). But I just had a pick through it and it does look pretty decent. Definitely more user-friendly than my current method:

I love robocopy, but if all you're backing up is a less than a couple gigs of documents you should check out something like Mozy. Having your stuff on a second HDD won't help when your house burns down/is flooded/gets carried off by a tornado.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

ufarn posted:

Any ETA for TrueCrypt compatibility for Win7?
3 months ago? I've been using it since before the RC. Works great.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Elos posted:

I was hoping installing win7 would get rid of my problem but no, I still get atikmdag.sys bluescreens at boot. Usually it takes about five tries to get this piece of poo poo trough to desktop but when it get's there, it's stable as a rock. I had the same thing with Vista and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the new driver model because there's no prolem in XP or safe mode or when the ATI drivers aren't installed.

I'd switch back to XP but it feels so old after using 7 for a while.

You have an nForce2/3 motherboard, right? If so your problem is that nVidia never released vista drivers for those boards, so Vista and up use microsoft's generic ones and they don't work quite right in all cases (especially cases with ATi graphics cards and dual core CPUs). You can either manually set your PC to disable one of the cores on your CPU or upgrade.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

It IS possible if you screw with sources\cversion.ini - it's just rather ill-advised.
Ill advised? It's just not Microsoft recommended, a conservative CYA move more than anything else. I've done it on 3 PCs so far with perfect outcomes.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

GreatGreen posted:

I've looked around, and can't really find the answer to this one... but in Windows 7, is there any place to put a folder on the taskbar so that when you click on it, the contents of that folder are displayed in a pop-up window that disappears once you open something in that folder?

edit: Basically, can you have what OSX calls "stacks?" By the way, the video is only to illustrate the menu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64mr_doqvcc

I really want to give you one of those "let me google that for you" links because jesus christ, but here's the first hit on google when you search for "windows 7 stacks"

http://www.ithinkdiff.com/use-os-x-...k-in-windows-7/

Edit: I will take this opportunity to point out that windows has had "stacks" since XP or maybe even 98. You just added a toolbar to the taskbar and pointed it to a folder like MyDocs. It wasnt all oooh aahhh pretty but you could drill down into sub folders and everything else stacks do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

ragzilla posted:

Unless you have an nForce3 motherboard, which you cannot get Win7 drivers for.

Yep, every PC built in the last 5+ years has worked great except for nForce2/3 boards. I read just today that nVidia was ending work on their nForce chipsets for good and breathed a sigh of relief. Good riddance.