Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlushablPet
Apr 27, 2002
AtKajAndAarAt

Iblys posted:

A few more questions.

1) How are people going with dual monitors, specifically TVs?
Oddly enough, I'm having a bitch of a time getting it to play nicely with my LCD TV compared to Vista.

In Vista, I had Ultramon shortcuts set up to run Mediaportal and Hulu Desktop on the TV - worked flawlessly. In in 7, these shortcuts don't work, the only way, it seems, to get something running on the TV is to drag the window over to it, a total downer for the click and go HTPC setup I wanted. The built in multi monitor support doesn't go as far as I wished for either - at least in comparison to Ultramon on Vista.

Add to it the fact Win7 64 bit doesn't play nice with the SPDIF output on my soundcard or my IR remote control yet (It kills the back and info buttons in Mediaportal), and I'm left with a crippled HTPC for the time being.

Other than that I love the OS...

Edit: NVidia's HDTV desktop resize utility doesn't seem to apply the changes you make either, so overscan here I am :/

FlushablPet fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlushablPet
Apr 27, 2002
AtKajAndAarAt

I Like Jell-O posted:

You can set up Mediaportal to always open up in full screen on the second monitor. I'd just do that rather that messing around with Ultramon. Don't know about Hulu, but I would look for a setting in the program for that too.

Forgot all about that, thanks! One less problem.

FlushablPet
Apr 27, 2002
AtKajAndAarAt

zapateria posted:

What soundcard? I've gotten SPDIF to work on my built in Realtek after trying out a few different driver versions (I believe 2.09 was the one I ended up with). Then after I upgraded to 7100 and CCC 9.5 with the HDMI Audio Driver I got DTS and DD out via HDMI so now everything is perfect on my "HTPC" (I just use Zoom player with default 2nd monitor which is my plasma, and sound out on HDMI).

It's a PCI X-Mystique (or it's predecessor) that runs off the CMedia chipset family. It's Vista x64 drivers install in Win7, but the SPDIF/sound manager applet peaks at 700mb when it is opened and brings the system to it's knees. I installed the open source CMedia drivers that are floating around, and as well as having to disable driver signature enforcement, seems to have brought stability issues.

Unfortunately, the X-Mystique manufacturer seems to not be willing to release Win7 drivers yet, and Win7 comes with no driver support for it out of the box.