Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Matlock posted:

RC1 x64 has been buggy as hell since I installed it.

I waited until the last day to install RC1 as Beta was expiring. The Beta was running perfectly.

Now my mute button lights up at all times unless a flash video is on screen and will not turn off otherwise. Sounds still play. Every few minutes, the mute button will turn off and an error ding will sound through the speakers.

Also, flash is straight-up wacky now: the only browser that lets me interact with flash related stuff outside of simple mouseclicks is IE8. Not only that, flash tends to lock up the browser for 2-3 seconds like Java loves to do on low-end machines.

What the hell? Why is RC1 somehow more buggy than the beta?
I actually run RC1 64. It works great. I'm not sure what your process is or if there are simply crummy drivers for your current hardware, but my only bad experience with 7 is that Bluetooth on my E6500 is essentially non-functional. I'm fairly sure it's just drivers, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Matlock posted:

Re: Unruly - I think the relevant point is that the drivers worked properly with the beta. I'm confused as to why (I'm guessing sound?) drivers would magically stop working between builds.
I wouldn't be able to guess, but a lot of driver work has been going on for 7. Speaking from my own experiences, the Dell driver page for my E6500 has been updated fairly recently with new 64-bit drivers that work swimmingly for 7 (except the aforementioned Bluetooth drivers...).

Anyway, it can't hurt to hunt down new drivers to see if they don't clear things up.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Butt Savage posted:

hooah, I did 3 things when I reformatted my Windows 7 laptop a few months ago.

1. Didn't install the lovely HP software and let Windows find drivers all on its own.

2. Used Windows Fax and Scan to scan stuff.

3. Thanked Microsoft for making all of this poo poo a lot easier than it used to be.

I guess the best solution for you would be to uninstall HP's software and possibly the driver, turn on/reconnect your printer, let Windows find the drivers, and finally use Windows Fax and Scan to do your thing.
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised when my network Brother printer showed up and installed without any hassles. Having been a Mac guy for a while, this was a really nice treat, because printers are horrible.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Josh Lyman posted:

I have an old key that came with the original Win7. Would that work if I downloaded a Win7 SP1 ISO?
Yes. It should. SP1 isn't a totally new version of Windows, it's a roll-up of a bunch of different patches and feature additions.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Without knowing your work computer's specs we have no way to be sure. It may be simply because it's an old-rear end work computer. 16-bit vs 32-bit shouldn't have any bearing on performance on a modern computer.
I mean, if he's got an old video card, it might make a little difference, but we're talking 5-8 years old, probably even longer (...it's 2012 already?)

I would have a hard time believing that any work got done on that computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Toe Rag posted:

I purchased an Office 365 subscription a couple months ago, primarily because I wanted Outlook for my laptop. Since it came with 1TB of OneDrive storage, I started using it. I had about 4 or 5 GBs of Dropbox space I was using before.

My work computer is running Windows 7, so I have to install OneDrive on it separately. I've noticed that if I save a file in Excel, it will save my updates to the OneDrive copy, but not necessarily the local copy, even though I tell OneDrive to "Sync all files and folders in my OneDrive." I would have to open the file from within Excel to get the actual updates I made, rather than through Explorer, which isn't going to work for me. Additionally, sometimes I will open a file I am expecting to be on my HDD, and I see a "retrieving from OneDrive" dialog window, and the file location listed under the "recent files" will be http://d.docs.live.net/xxxxx instead of the file location on my local machine. I also have the problem where if I rename a file, OneDrive will then "restore" the "missing" file, ie the same file but with the previous name.

Has anyone else experienced this, or am I just doing it wrong? I never had anything happen like this is Dropbox. It's really frustrating, because some of these spreadsheets I am updating, it would be easy to not even notice the update was not saved, or the spreadsheet I opened from explorer is different from the spreadsheet that is stored in OneDrive.
OneDrive is... finicky. We use it at work, and it can be a pain, especially with the client. I use it for class (free from school), and only with Office programs like OneNote or Word, because the built in support is much better than the actual file syncing program. There are programs like ExpanDrive to make it easier to use and generally do a better job of handling the content, but if you like Dropbox, then I'd just use that instead.

Personally, I went with the Office 365 E1 license at home. I didn't need Office, so it works out great.