Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

So I've got a copy of Win7 Home Premium out for delivery from Amazon. I've currently got XP Pro on my machine. I don't have a problem with doing the clean install, or even wiping the HD, but it sounds like that isn't an option. My question is, after I install, will my old Program Files get moved to windows.old? I'd really, really, really rather not have a Program Files folder that's half full of non-functioning stuff from my XP install and perfectly good stuff from my 7 install, and have to comb through it to determine what to delete and reinstall. If it does get moved to windows.old and leaves me with a fresh Win7 Program Files folder, I'll be all set, I think. Can anyone confirm how this whole thing actually works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dominoes posted:

I asked this when Vista came out, maybe this has changed: Can I pin a menu to the taskbar? Ie: Click, get a pop-up of all my games in a list.

You might like 7stacks.

quote:

I still don't like the Vista/Win7 control panel. It's the one thing about XP I prefer. Thankfully you can type to search in it.

Upper-right corner of the control panel window: View by: small icons. :)

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Chipwich posted:

Been getting this message when saving pictures. Has anyone else experienced this? How do i get rid of it? I am running W7 in admin mode by the way.

Cheers if anyone knows anything

Are you running NOD32 as your antivirus? It seems to be an intermittent error that Eset is having an issue tracking down where the "scan on create" feature will scan 0-byte files (which a lot of programs create, and then fill with data), locking them from writing. I got it all the time with saving files from the web, and iTunes throwing up a "cannot save the library file" error. I've uninstalled NOD32 and installed MSE until Eset can get this worked out.

See this thread on Wilders Security for more examples: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=254272

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Bad Munki posted:

On the topic of AV, how do you folks feel about AVG these days?

It's crap.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I said come in! posted:

It doesn't matter why he wants it.

Well, actually it might, since the functionality he's looking for (input methods?) might already be in Win7 without needing to download any sort of language pack.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Breetai posted:

2. But are both discs included in the same purchase package?

For any retail-released package (full retail or upgrade), yes, they are. OEM copies only have one disc for the specific architecture, although the key will still work with either. For downloaded versions, you need to make sure to get the right architecture, and I'd imagine that educational versions distributed by your institution would be a complete crapshoot, so make sure you ask for 64-bit if you want 64-bit.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

hirvox posted:

Except when we're talking about Logitech. They have decent Vista drivers, but they have a switch in the installer that prevents those from being installed on Windows 7. Unpacking the installer and toggling that switch in the configuration file is left as an exercise to the reader.

At least, that was the case with W7 RC. It's too much :effort: to check whether they have officially supported versions yet.

Couldn't you just make a shortcut to the installer and tell it to run in Vista compatibility mode? I think I had to do that to get something installed after I upgraded to Win7, and it worked flawlessly.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

drcru posted:

- Windows has a built-in firewall now.

XP has always had a built-in firewall, it just wasn't enabled by default until SP2. :colbert:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Chikimiki posted:

a basic unintrusive one - like Zonealarm

:pwn:

I can't think of a firewall more annoyingly prone to breaking stuff than ZA. Just use the Windows firewall. If you really, really, really care about your firewall that much, build a cheap m0n0wall box.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Essobie posted:

This was my experience as well, but I attributed this to the fact that when I booted with the upgrade DVD there was a moment where it could have easily looked at the existing partitions on all the drives on the system for a valid OS install, which I did have at the time. Whether or not it actually checks at that moment is a mystery to me... and I certainly don't want to experiment with it at this point.

Fake Edit: Kind of beaten?

If you guys read the winsupersite article linked above, you'd see that the Win7 installer does, indeed, check for a valid existing install before ever getting to formatting or anything along those lines.

Edit: Relinked for the new page.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Xanin posted:

I'm sorry if this has already been answered but this thread is massive and I've got quite an urgent problem!

I got the Win7 Home Upgrade through the student deal, it's installed on my PC but I think my HD has died. I came back home today to find it saying 'Disk boot failure', and nothing I do changes it. It also makes a weird buzzing sound which I've taken to be the 'click of death'.

I am going to order a new HD, but my question is, how do I install it on my new drive if there is no OS on it already to upgrade from? I've got valid license so would it work if I get an iso copy of Win7 Home, burn to DVD, boot from that and use my serial?

Read the article linked in my post at the very top of this page.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Stugene posted:

I think it might be a problem with ZoneAlarm, but the program's so loving fickle when you want to actually change a tiny setting that I can never be sure.

Jesus loving christ, why do people insist on continuing to use ZoneAlarm?

:bang:

99% that that's the source of your troubles, just like every other time ZA is installed on any other system ever.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Captain Charisma posted:

It says after I quit that it uses agentctl.dll, which I presume was dumped with the upgrade. I guess I'll just have to wait until they upgrade themselves.

MS Agent was (edit: is, as I guess it still exists) a text-to-speech/recognition engine they had back in the day (and apparently through XP, at least), which mIRC supports in some way. Your connection problems have precisely zero to do with that.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

maltesh posted:

Saved searches are your friend there.

Open the folder you want to search. Say it's your "My Pictures" folder, and it has a subfolder, "Wallpapers" that you don't want included.

Type in the search bar "NOT (Folderpath:\Wallpapers)" That'll exclude everything in the Wallpapers subfolder.

Click on "Save search" in the menubar, then when modifying the library, add that saved search to the library. As long as that folder isn't included in any of the other saved searches or folders in the library, it will be excluded.

If you've got more than one subfolder to exclude ,it looks like you can chain them along: Eg "NOT (Folderpath:\Wallpapers) NOT (Folderpath:\Blackmail Photos)"

Thanks for asking this question, by the way. Hadn't really thought to look into the search bar before.

Speaking of stuff like this, is there a comprehensive list of Windows 7 search keywords and aliases somewhere? You know, since they completely eliminated the old search window with fields you just needed to fill in.

And not this, because it doesn't even include what you just used (although folder:\<whatever> and path:\<whatever> seem to be equivalent).

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 18, 2010

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

deadlinguo posted:

What's the feature called that pops up when you press Windows Key + Tab? Where it puts all your open windows in a row like you're flipping through pages.

Whatever it's called, is there any way to change it so it displays the windows tiled, instead of how it normally looks? That would much more usable for me than how it currently is. Having alt-tab take up the entire screen so the windows are more visible would work too. What would be really nice, is if it would tile all your open windows while still keeping them clearly legible, maybe 4-5 to a row, and you could use your mousewheel to scroll down if you had too many to fit on one page.

Basically I want this Firefox plugin (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1810 ) but for the OS.

First, it's called Aero Flip 3D, and no, there's really not any good way to change its behavior. Second, if alt-tab (which now shows live Aero Peeks of the windows) is too small for you, you might want to try Switcher, which is basically a Vista/Win7 version of OSX's Exposé feature. It's small and unobtrusive, and you can customize the key combo to activate it (I use F12), along with some other features.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Lum posted:

Hope this isn't too OT but it definitely isn't worth it's own thread.

The latest ATI Win7 drivers have a redesigned Catalyst Control Centre which is retarded and I can't find anything any more.

Where is the option so that if you pick a non-native res the video card does the scaling, and if your games are 4:3 they are pillarboxed rather than stretched.

I can find a similar option but that only affects "theatre mode" not anything else.

If it worked, you'd go to the Desktops & Displays section, right-click the display in the list at the bottom, and select "Configure." And there would be the options for GPU image scaling.

But it's entirely disabled in all of ATi's Win7 drivers, so don't even bother.

Edit: it's a bug, and there's a solution!

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 26, 2010

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Zorilla posted:

All it needs now is Firebug (covered by "Inspect element", though it's not nearly as good) and an HTML validation plugin and I'd consider switching.

And if you want a Firebug replacement that works more like firebug...

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/bmagokdooijbeehmkpknfglimnifench

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Sloppy posted:

I'd like to know this too. I had the same problem with various game shortcuts, although they eventually fixed themselves after a few months.

What both of you guys want to do is a google search on rebuilding the icon cache. There's a few ways to do it.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

limited posted:

Awesome. Thanks for the pointers. Like I said, first time I've done a OS upgrade, and I was having nightmares of finding drivers, and general mayhem. Already have to use a workaround on vista just to get latest drivers for my graphic card because ATI don't do their own mobility drivers. :argh:

Neither does nVidia.

For my HP laptop, I'm stuck with drivers that are 2+ years old because every goddamn OEM has to do their own goddamn implementation on each different goddamn laptop and UGH gently caress THIS IS WHY I'M NOT BUYING ANOTHER ONE.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

After installing Comodo Firewall

Problem found.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

PirateBob posted:

How can I figure out what caused my system to shut down unexpectedly while I was afk?

Event log?

Did you get any updates to Windows?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Pen Expers posted:

What plug-in is this? searching for jump list on the main winamp plugins page doesn't yield any results.

That's because that's not a jumplist. It's a taskbar thumbnail preview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Cojawfee posted:

I never understood why the hell people are so paranoid about these things. What are you doing on the internet? Sure, be protected, but do you need to be so paranoid? I once wet through a phase where I was super security conscious but it ended up being too much of a hassle. And I never needed to do it in the first place.

I always wondered where people got all these viruses I cleaned off their machines. The only time I ever ran into anything bad was when I was doing things I shouldn't have. Sure, run on a limited account for browsing if you want to, but you Don have to oversee every change to every file on your system. That is way too excessive. No one wants into your computer that badly.

Most exploits these days use non-MS attack vectors, especially things like Adobe Reader or Flash. Drive-by exploits have shown up on ad servers on major, legitimate sites, so staying as protected as you can is especially important now.

You don't have to go delving into the seedier side of the internet to get owned anymore, unfortunately.