Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Network posted:

I only have 2gb of ram right now, is it worth is to buy an extra stick of 1gb ram so I can run Windows 7 as smoothly as windows xp right now?
I switched from XP to Windows 7 with 2GB of RAM and I can say that it was a painful experience. The only program I had a issue with was WoW though. The thing would thrash like hell as WoW in Dalaran at 1920x1080 with everything maxed takes about 1.2GB, then add Firefox at 160MB, Steam at 100MB, DropBox at 50MB, apparently it was too much because god it was awful. Never had thrashing in XP. It was a desktop though so I spent $24 and bumped it up to 6GB and it runs like a dream now.

(Unrelated) I'm having a problem though with MediaPlayerClassic where I can't watch HD movies over the network. It peaks out at 9MB/s and stutters like a mofo. I can copy the file at 50MBit (it is over powerline networking) and it plays fine locally. Is there some reason the bandwidth is restricted in MPC or some way to make it read faster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

I use the remote desktop feature daily (using my home PC while I'm at work), and though I didn't have a lot of use for Media Center, it still would have been nice to have.
Speaking of Remote Desktop, which parts are included on which versions? They say Professional includes Remote Desktop. I'm guessing it means it includes both the server and client, and that Home Premium will include the just client. Or do they mean home won't have either? Either way that means that home won't have "Remote Assistance"-- how will we fix our parents computers now?

If the home version doesn't even come with mstsc.exe that would suck for Professional users who need to access their work PC from home.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Are there any Windows7 "themes" that are more than just Color+Wallpaper? I mean things that change the border icons and title bar not just to another color but to a completely different layout. I can never tell what window has focus and every "theme" just tints the glass a slightly different color. I'm afraid of trying to google "windows 7 themes" because why don't I just add "and viruses" on the end of that.

Can someone also explain to me why UAC is considered security at all when a PA account can dll inject into explorer and auto-elevate to gain administrative rights? The article claims that there's no point to doing so, because fixing your software to run and elevate itself properly are easier, but dll injection is loving childsplay and in the 101 class for system exploitation.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
How do I get Win7 to stop querying my Linux apache server every 3 seconds?
code:
"PROPFIND /mp3 HTTP/1.1" 405 340 "-" "Microsoft-WebDAV-MiniRedir/6.1.7100"
I added the \\LINUXBOX\mp3 share to Windows Media Player so I can listen to my mp3s but apparently wmp thinks CIFS shares and http connections are like totally the same thing so it does chatty stuff like this. Where's the option to say "No, seriously, only access it in the manner I added it"?