Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
So my Windows 7 desktop is behaving oddly, and I'm wondering what the problem is. Not sure if this is the right thread, so please point me to the right place if necessary. Also this seemed to have started after I installed Diablo 3, but I suspect that is a fluke.

History of symptoms:
-3 Days: Working fine
-2 Days: Takes a long time on the "Starting Windows" screen, and Diablo 3 starts to run slow, especially when changing screens or leaping
-1 Days: "Starting Windows" takes a long time, and Desktop isn't responsive for a few minutes. I run a full Malware Bytes scan and find nothing.
Today: It booted to the desktop, and is now completely unresponsive, the mouse is just that swirly circle even after 10 minutes. Doesn't respond to Ctrl-Alt-Delete. Rebooted, and now it seems to be working as well as yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Galler posted:

I'm suspecting a possible hard drive issue as well. Try Crystal Disk Info and see what it says.

I think you might be onto something. I might have an excuse to get a SSD or Hybrid drive now. Is this a sign I should replace the drive?

modig
Aug 20, 2002

kapinga posted:

No really, his drive is in trouble. Specifically he has 42 reallocated sectors. I believe Google released a White Paper several years ago that indicated that any reallocated sectors at all dramatically increases the chance of total failure.

I'd definitely backup your data (and keep it up-to-date), and be prepared for a drive failure at any time. If that means buying an SSD now, go for it.

I've already backed up all my data, and moved all important stuff to my laptop over the past year. Pretty much my desktop is for games, Play On, and storing photos. Once it dies or gets too annoying I'll rebuild on an SSD, and put the photos on the externa drive.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
Just bought an SSD and I want to move my current Windows 7 install onto it. I found a program call Paragon that is apparently designed to help with this. Is Paragon a good choice, or is there something else better? Or is there some reason moving the install is a bad idea?

*I'd rather pay $20 than spend time dealing with offsets and stuff, I also found instructions for that.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Inspector_71 posted:

It comes up a lot, and usually the SSD will come with some kind of program that will clone your old drive.

The intel drive I got pointed me towards some software, but it couldn't handle the fact that my previous install was bigger than my SSD. So I bought Paragon which lets you not move folders like Users. I was not super impressed with Paragon, there is a button like "use all of target drive regardless of how much you copy there" which only freezes the program in such a way that you need to reboot before you can use it again. Also I did something that convinced it that it only needed to copy zero bytes over. All in all I probably ran it 10-15 times before I finally hit go, because I had to figure out which settings actually worked.
Also it provides no help with configuring windows to know about your new Users location, so I had to boot into safe mode and do that myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modig
Aug 20, 2002

jackpot posted:

I've scoured this thread and haven't found any great answers yet - are there no cheap alternatives to Acrobat Pro? My wife needs something that'll let her create PDFs from Office files, delete/extract pages, merge, etc. Hasn't anyone come out with something that does that yet, for less than $350?

Preview on OSX can do the delete/extract/merge stuff, which suggests other software should be able to. You can use PDF Creator to print to pdf from Office.

Here are some command line tools written in Java... probably not the best option:
http://multivalent.sourceforge.net/Tools/index.html

modig fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 1, 2012