Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How does windows upgrade know you already own a previous version of windows if doing a clean install? For instance, if I already own Vista and purchase a copy of Win7 upgrade and decide to do a clean install, will the Win7 installer somehow require me to verify that I owned a previous copy of windows? Surely they enforce the lower price of the upgrade somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there any way to trick Win7 into installing on a system thats not ACPI compliant? I don't need any ACPI functionality for this system.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

AlexDeGruven posted:

How old is the hardware you're wanting to run on?

I can't think of any reason why you'd want to do this.

For fun. Its very old. There is no way around it via the BIOS or updates so I'll have to do something with the installer most likely.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

jromano posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on Windows 7, but I need to figure out the best way to preserve my data from Vista. I have about 50gb of stuff I want to backup, but no external drives right now

When I moved to Vista from XP, I created a second partition to store my data until installing the new OS. It was a bit of hassle though to transfer everything and extend the main partition back once I deleted the backup partition.

If I understand correctly, I can simply install Windows 7 on my existing partition, choosing custom install, and it will put all my existing data in a folder called windows.old on the new installation, negating the need to mess with partitions like before. I want to be 100% sure on this before I start the install.

You should have just kept your original "backup" partition. Why not just put everything into a directory on the root of your main drive called "thisisimportantshit" and install Win7 without a format. It shouldn't touch that folder. But you should consider just buying an external hard drive. If you have files that aren't worth getting a ~$80 external drive for, how important can they be?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Dominoes posted:

Color calibration's not working in Windows 7 64-bit. Color-calibrated programs like Firefox will work with ICC profiles I create with my Spyder 2, but the LUT won't load into the monitor. I tried using the Spyder loader and Powerstrip, and neither works. Worked fine in Vista.

With both Vista and 7, I had to use an external app (Spyder in my case) to load the LUT. I'm currently using the latest Spyder3 Elite build and its working fine for 7. In XP, I used to use the microsoft color tool. Still seems ridiculous that windows doesn't have built in functionality to load display ICC profiles and apply that LUT to the video output.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I have 2 sound devices plugged into my PC. Speakers via the mini stereo 3.5mm jack and toslink to a receiver. I can't seem to get windows to output to both simultaneously. I have to pick one and set it to default which in turn disables the other. Is this a limitation of Windows or the hardware? I'm running the built in windows driver and my onboard sound is just listed as "high definition audio device".

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

redeyes posted:

This is up to the drivers for your motherboard/sound card. 7 can use multiple devices at the same time no problem but is limited to the limitations of the driver.

Well it seems that its actually in the software. I was able to hear audio over toslink and play the windows sound test on the analog output at the same time. Just can't get both to output anything meaningful simultaneously other than the windows test sound.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Hypnolobster posted:

I just ordered the $30 student upgrade to 64bit, and I'm currently running Vista 32.

Do I have any reasonable/sensible way to upgrade to Win7 64bit clean install beyond formatting my main drive, installing Vista 64 and then upgrading to 7?

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
*Posted in the other windows thread but didn't get any answers*

Why do companies like Dell and HP still offer 32bit windows on their high end workstations and laptops? Ok, I guess the option should be there for the rare case that the customer needs some sort of rare compatibility issue but it seems that its way too easy for a consumer to choose 32bit windows on these systems. Its often the first and default choice. If the costs are the same, why bother keeping such a complex inventory system? Why set yourself up for future service calls from customers who inadvertently purchased 32bit windows and want/need to upgrade because of ram or 64bit only apps like CS5?

I can understand that MS needed to make a 32bit build for all the 32bit hardware that is fully capable of running Win7 (for which I am grateful) but for a PC company that designs and sells NEW PCs to have that option as default perplexes me.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

You Am I posted:

A lot of businesses still run things, like Cisco VPN, which will not work, or is unreliable, under x64 versions of Windows.

Hmm, is that still the same market as those who are buying high end workstations? Or even the consumer space? I don't see why a PC needs to have more than 4GB of ram in order for the 64bit OS choice to auto kick in. Wouldn't it be easier for these OEMs to just have 64bit Windows and drivers for all their new PC models barring those with Atom CPUs? Large corporations will usually re-image their new PCs anyway so having the choice at purchase time isn't all that beneficial to either party.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

EvilMuppet posted:

I keep seeing people say this, it's not true.

CS5 != just photoshop. Other CS5 apps like After Effects and Premiere Pro are only available in 64bit.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 28, 2010

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Holy poo poo, this is loving awesome.

What I loving hate about the drat search box is that if I start typing "mspaint", I won't actually get mspaint until I type the whole thing. Even "mspain" does not return paint! How is that convenient?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

EvilMuppet posted:

So you agree with me. Two out of 12+ products does not make "CS5" 32bit incompatible.

It does for those who would use those 2 apps which rank pretty high up amongst the 12+. Also, shows the direction Adobe is going.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I need to trim down the footprint of Win7. I've got a laptop with just a 80GB Intel SSD and I need to work on a video project which will live on the SSD. Right now the space is pretty tight with all the source material but I know its not going to work when space runs out. Right now the windows dir is showing ~12GB. What can I cut out? I don't mind if I break some things so long as I can still work.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Lum posted:

You'll probably find that defaulting to 32bit results in less returns than defaulting to 64bit.

For the idiots who didn't do their research, the system as it arrives will work perfectly and they wont find any problem until a few years down the line (when it's out of warranty) they go to put in more memory or whatever. At this point they may even end up buying a new computer.

If they supplied a 64 bit system, when said idiot goes to install their 16bit version of Paint Shop Pro 3 or whatever ancient app they refuse to let go that "worked perfectly on my old computer", it will fail to run because 64bit Windows doesn't support 16bit apps.

Wait, the 32bit build of Win7 supports 16bit apps but the 64bit doesn't? Also, how often do you think people cling to these old apps? I haven't worked in the service industry in almost 10 years and even when I did (read XP days) I never came across any cases like that.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

LooseChanj posted:

Seconding this, especially since I came from an ancient (though 32 bit at least) version of Lview. :hfive:

Back in the day I would use ACDSee with Win98 but never really needed it so I stopped using it from Win2K and forward. My last workplace had ACDSee 5.0 installed on their stock XP image although I never really cared for it.

Why do people still use these image viewers/editors? Is it because they don't need full blown Photoshop or even Elements and windows picture viewer doesn't cut it?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What are the cheapest+legal ways right now to get Win7? My school (UCLA) has it for something like $70.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Win7 Pro upgrade $30

Awesome!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Without specifically selecting it, can you still get 32bit Windows 7 from an OEM? I just took a quick glance on Dell.com and the lowest of the low laptops came with 64bit Win7 standard.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Galler posted:

Just out of curiosity why do you want 32bit Win 7?

I don't. Just curious if its practically gone from the new PC market.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How much longer are Nvidia/AMD planning on supporting XP with drivers? We're already at a point where lots of extras aren't possible in XP due to DX9 and the memory of new cards will greatly eat away at available memory in 32bit XP.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

computer parts posted:

Probably at least as long as Microsoft supports it, ie until about mid-2014.

I guess it also depends on mainstream usage too. Will enough people upgrade away from XP before 2014 to warrant other companies to stop supporting it before MS does?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The drag to the side thing doesn't quite work well with multi-monitor setups :(

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

cr0y posted:

not sure if this is the right place but i figured someone here would know. i have a blank drive that goes in a tablet (without a cd rom). It's hooked up to my desktop with a ide->usb adapter, can i somehow copy the windows installation CD to it, drop it back in my tablet and start the windows install from there? (win xp)

Why not Windows 7? It has much better tablet support.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Hypothetically, if I install Win XP SP3, setup a user with a weak password and get all the updates as of today, without running any realtime antivirus, will the machine get hijacked if left connected to the internet?

What about Win 7 in the same scenario?

What if it was on an open network with many other infected machines (a la lovely college dorm network)?

I haven't even tried but can you even install XP/7 without a user password?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 20, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Super Dude posted:

Why would you intentionally set up the machine with a weak password and no antivirus? This seems like an odd question since you would basically be intentionally compromising the computer.

-Hypothetically-
I just wanted to know how secure that scenario was. I didn't say I planned on actually practicing it. I just wanted to know since there are people out there running like that and I wanted to get some insight as to how vulnerable they were 'out of the box'. These people are not intentionally trying to compromise their computer but thats just how lots of people roll.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How do I make windows 7 look decently pretty without aero? I'm installing onto a laptop that doesn't support it. 3rd party window manager that's not a resource hog?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Do OEMs still sell new computers with a 32bit Windows configuration? Just curious on how dead 32bit windows is on new hardware.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

HalloKitty posted:

About a year ago we bought some dirt cheap Lenovo laptops, and even with 2GB RAM they had Windows 7 Pro x64 installed. I'm pretty sure 32 bit installs are dying, especially with the explosion of cheap RAM. You have even lovely consumer machines coming with 4GB at least, and quite often 6-8. A lovely reversal from the late P3/early P4 era machines when some were shipping with 128MB and XP (!) which was horrible.

Well I've always thought that you don't need >4GB for 64bit since you'd still get the benefit of not having to deal with deploying 2 configurations and all the baggage that comes with that. I'm sure the OEMs are happier for the simplicity but I guess 32bit downgrades still exist for the few people that want them.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

retro sexual posted:

Lightweight alternative to Adobe Reader for pdfs for a new laptop? (Win 7)

Not really what you're asking for but I've never had to use an external app to read PDFs ever since I've been using Chrome as a browser since it has a built in PDF viewer.

Why can't MS just write a native windows PDF viewer? Legal?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Toast Museum posted:

They did. It's in Windows 8.

Neato.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Maybe I'm misstating this but why doesn't windows 8 hibernate when I close my laptop lid by default? It seems like thats a pretty drastic change to what people are used to as the standard sleep behavior.

Edit: Also, why are the included wallpapers in the RP so lovely? Worse than Win7. Why not just use the Win7 ones? Guh.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 23, 2012

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

gmq posted:

I just reinstalled and I was wondering, what's the best way to get a functioning media player that reproduces everything?

Normally I install CCCP but maybe there's a better way?

I just use MPC-HC. Not sure what I'm missing out on but I haven't needed the extra(?) codecs in codec packs in a while now since MPC-HC handles so many of them natively.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

kri kri posted:

What do you mean reproduce? I use VLC.

Isn't VLC horribly unoptimized on windows compared to MPC-HC and ffdshow?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

HalloKitty posted:

VLC is the simple option, but yeah, it's not the best player for performance and/or quality overall, as far as I'm aware.

I don't see how VLC is any simpler than stand alone MPC-HC. MPC-HC doesn't even require an installer.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

stubblyhead posted:

And I'm sure it goes without saying, but you do have a 64 bit processor, right?

Highly unlikely that hes got a machine that only takes 32bit CPUs AND allows memory upgrades to 4GB.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Whats the deal with Win7 explorer right click 'open' and 'preview'? They do the same thing for me for .bmp files. For whatever reason .bmp files are associated with photoshop. Whatever. If I double click or right click open they open in photoshop as expected. When I right click preview they still open in photoshop. That seems a bit redundant. Shouldn't preview be mapped to windows picture viewer?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Flipperwaldt posted:

You would think so, but without Photoshop, I think it's originally mapped to paint. Or was that just in XP?

Anyway, from a page or so back: Default Programs Editor.

Thanks. You think they would have rolled all this into the 'open with' pages.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
When I right click on a large image file (200mb-2gb tiffs) it can take up to 20sec for the pop up menu to appear in windows explorer (win7). The files are on the network over 1G. I can't figure out whats causing it. I have thumbnails turned off. Left clicking on them does not cause any hourglass delays, only right click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Factor Mystic posted:

Sounds like you might have a shell extension that's trying to do something with the file, that loads in the context menu. Use Autoruns to poke around and see what third party extensions are running.

Thanks. Just got a chance to take a look. I hope this is the right tab I grabbed:

I can't change anything in there since I'm not an admin but I can get someone on it pretty quick. Does anything in there look like it might be the culprit for right clicks in explorer taking so long on large files? The only thing is that I might not get the OK to turn off AV stuff.

There's no way to profile the time each of these is taking is there?