Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Xenomorph posted:

Woah, make sure you never, ever use Linux or Mac OS X then!

I never get prompted very often on my iMac. I turned off UAC in Vista because it was way too excessive. I plan on upgrading to Windows 7, so I guess I'll see if they've toned it down a poo poo ton or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm running Vista64 currently. It came with the Dell. I would like to get an SSD, and Windows 7. Is it possible to slap the new SSD in the machine, run a Windows 7 Upgrade to the new blank SSD, and then manually copy files from the old Vista64 drive? I wont be able to clone the Vista64 drive, it's 600GB and full. I'm planning on getting a 100GB SSD. I don't have any other spare drives to temporarily move files to and from.

I would prefer not to have to buy the full W7 media (Just the Upgrade version). I don't have the Vista64 media because Dell doesn't send it with the machine anymore.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Thanks, I'll look into the OEM system builders option. I have Windows 8 preview on a laptop and I'm really not liking it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
We're going through a lot of replication of server to server using Scriptlogics Secure Copy. It has a boatload of options and might meet your criteria. Have you looked into Robocopy with multiple threads? /MT switch may be all you need.

On the fly replication, you may want to look at Symantec Continuous Protection Server (CPS) - I am unsure if it does local to local and it may be a little over the top what you want.

Also, I believe Server 2008 has something like this built-in as well.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 1, 2012