Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonelyKing
Feb 2, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm having a weird issue with chkdsk. I've googled around and haven't seen something similar (the only other one I found was where chkdsk got caught in an infinite loop, which this isn't). But basically, Action Center randomly reports the hard drive as having issues and schedules it to start on the next reboot. When I reboot, the countdown comes up and when it gets to 1 it just freezes and doesn't do anything. It also doesn't immediately skip the check when I hit my keys, and sometimes it'll just freeze instead of skipping at all.

I'm running 64-bit on a Dell XPS 16 laptop that has an SSD instead of a standard HD if that makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonelyKing
Feb 2, 2003

Fun Shoe

beejay posted:

I find I am not even using the desktop in Windows 7, and I used the desktop for everything in XP.

Yeah, I really wish people would get away from depending on the desktop. Especially with the Search feature in the Start Menu being so incredibly useful. I never really paid attention to it until someone else pointed it out in this thread, but it's really changed how I use and find applications. And now with the ability to group and pin programs to your taskbar, and in advent of Jump Lists for common tasks, I just can't see any use for storing things on the desktop at all.

But maybe it's just because I've been using bblean as my Windows shell since I saw a thread here on it four or so years ago. There's really no point in having icons on the desktop if you just know how to sort things properly.

LonelyKing
Feb 2, 2003

Fun Shoe
For anyone using XP Mode, I did find a nice little feature I hadn't really thought about before. For whatever reason, I was unable to get a shortcut to the Remote Desktop Client to show up in the Virtual XP Application directory on the Win7 side (among other programs that just wouldn't show up). What I ended up doing was adding a shortcut to the Task Manager (for other reasons, like when a program freezes and it won't close, it's nice to be able to kill it). And then I remembered that Task Manager also has a Run box built-in... so basically if you add a shortcut to Task Manager, you can run any application without having to rely on it showing up in the Virtual XP Apps directory.

LonelyKing
Feb 2, 2003

Fun Shoe

-Dethstryk- posted:

The family pack is finally confirmed by Microsoft.

Hmm, in the document linked in that article, it also states that you'll only be able to use the Professional upgrade if you currently run Vista Business. So that essentially means I need to cancel my preorder and miss out on the 50% deals because Home Premium can't upgrade to Pro, and I need Pro to run the old Cisco VPN client. Fortunately this is the first they've ever mentioned it and all the upgrade pages on Amazon/elsewhere just champion the benefits of getting something other than Home Premium. :smith:

LonelyKing
Feb 2, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Merkinman posted:

Windows 7 doesn't have workspaces Spaces, Linux of course has had them for years. Regardless though, I know there were some 3rd party applications that were written for XP, so hopefully there will be ones rewritten for 7.

I never saw the use of spaces, but that's me.

I used to use virtual desktops all the time with XP, but with the new taskbar in W7, I find it's far less important because you can have a huge amount of things in the taskbar without it really being 'cluttered'.

LonelyKing
Feb 2, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fleedar posted:

I'm trying to get XP Mode working, but it keeps giving me this error message during setup:

I have checked and double checked that hardware virtualizations is enabled, and it is. There is no TXT setting in my BIOS, and it's fully up-to-date. Some sites suggested disabling virtualization, booting back into Windows, then cold booting again and re-enabling it. I tried that, but the error persists. I'm on a Gigabyte EX58-UD4P board. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Did you completely power off the system after turning virtualization on (not just a reboot)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonelyKing
Feb 2, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Here's a better version of that video.

This is absolutely amazing.