Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
This may be the wrong place to ask, but has anyone managed to successfully get Ubuntu 9.04 running under virtual PC in Windows 7?

I can get it installed with the " vga=791 noreplace-paravirt " trick but once installed I can't get it to come up.

Edit: I just successfully got xubuntu running. I guess this will have to do. I know very little about linux and wanted something to play around with.

Treytor fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 19, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Should I do a backup of files or use the System Transfer tools to move from XP to Win7 RC?

Personally, I do both. If you use outlook / outlook express then definitely use the transfer tools.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

Realtek now has official Windows 7 drivers, ver 2.25, available form their download page. I get all the features I use (S/PDIF DDLive) going without issue.

These drivers + TF2 = lock ups for me.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

JoeCitizen posted:

If anyone was able to grab the Win 7 Realtek HD Audio driver R2.26, would you mind throwing it up on RapidShare or something or pointing me to a working link? I've been trying to download it from Realtek for two days and keep getting "550 Failed to change directory" ftp errors and timeouts.

I'm getting the same problem. I always get my latest drivers from https://www.guru3d.com . It will no doubt show up there as soon as it's really available, anyway.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Dogen posted:

I've been trying to start putting my computer in standby when I'm not using it, but it will randomly wake itself up in like 20 or 30 minutes. I have turned off all the wake up on ... settings in BIOS. What the gently caress is making it wake up anyway? Shouldn't it only wake up if I hit the power button now?

Does it wake up on mouse movement?

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Elos posted:

I was hoping installing win7 would get rid of my problem but no, I still get atikmdag.sys bluescreens at boot. Usually it takes about five tries to get this piece of poo poo trough to desktop but when it get's there, it's stable as a rock. I had the same thing with Vista and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the new driver model because there's no prolem in XP or safe mode or when the ATI drivers aren't installed.

I'd switch back to XP but it feels so old after using 7 for a while. :smith:

Sounds like a power supply problem to me.

EDIT: Or video card.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

Why would I wanna do that when I got it for free? :smug:

Thank you BizSpark!

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Does anyone else have the problem of "Virtual PC Integration Device" showing up under Other devices in the windows xp mode virtual PC device manager? It's like the drivers for it aren't installed correctly. I can't find a thing about it online...

Unrelated question: Indexing a mapped network drive. Is it possible?

Treytor fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 10, 2009

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I know it's possible if the network drive is on a Windows box. If it is, install Windows Desktop Search 4.0 on that machine. Windows will share the index across the network. The downside of this is that it doesn't seem to work through the start menu quick search. You have to use the search bar in an Explorer window that is viewing the shared drive.

Unfortunately it's not. It's an unRAID box - http://www.lime-technology.com/joomla/

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

I'm stuck on trying to get my unRAID server (full of mp3s) indexed...

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Is anyone's windows update constantly pestering to install Games for Live 3.0 update? I've installed it about 7 times now, yet it still insists...

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

No. 9 posted:

I'm trying to install XP SP2 on a second partition, with Windows 7 on my primary. I just want to run my music studio applications in XP.

Has anyone else installed XP after 7? I've heard there's some problems, and I want to make sure I get this right to avoid a lot of frustration.

Any help? :cheers:

Why not use the XP virtualization built into 7? It actually works quite well in my experience.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Cross posting from the home backup thread:

Has anyone had issues with the built in Windows 7 backup complaining about a full drive? I have a backup that runs fine, until the extra drive in the computer fills up.

I read that it's supposed to automatically delete older backups to make room for the new, but apparently it's not doing that. If I manually delete the old backups and start over, it'll work fine until the drive is full again.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

That's what I thought, it's a local internal drive.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

How do I get Windows to stop opening my .m4a files with windows media player? I've done the obvious "always open with Winamp" dance, but it doesn't seem to want to stick :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Yeah, that's the thing I have done all that obvious stuff. It even lists Winamp under Default Programs in the control panel like I'd expect, but it's still using WMP to open the files when I double click on them...