Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

Xenomorph posted:

Well, going from XP to Vista rocked for me.

I get a kick out of the web sites I've seen that tout Windows 7's "new features", and then show something that many Windows users have been using for years.

Check boxes to select items? That's been available since 2006!
Many people seemed to have skipped Vista because of word-of-mouth. "Oh, it sucks? Well I won't be using it then!" - and because of that, tons of people missed out on the THOUSANDS of new features, fixes, and enhancements Windows Vista offered.

Rename a file without selecting file extension? Vista. Auto defrag? Vista. Check boxes to select items? Vista. Auto elevation for non Admins? Vista. 3D accelerated Desktop? Vista. Per-application sound control? Vista. Shift-right click for "Command Prompt Here"? Vista. WinKey+type for app and file search (like Mac Spotlight)? Vista. Properly-themed Command Prompt? Vista. WinKey+Tab flip3D? Vista.
New kernel with improved video driver-crash recovery? Vista. Paint defaulting to PNG? Vista. Desktop gadgets? Vista.

Windows 7 does have some new features. No visible Sidebar required for gadgets, the Start Menu can expand to show program options, Display and Theme management windows are streamlined, etc. The biggest new thing is probably the new Mac OS X Dock-like Task Bar. Other than than, most of the "new stuff" people will experience in Windows 7 came out with Vista.

If so many people didn't dismiss Vista before trying it, they would have seen what an amazing operating system it was.

I know exactly what you mean. I only know about 3 people that run Vista. The main reason from everyone else was "I heard it sucked". It totally didn't. Even pre-SP1, I never had any issues at all. I kept my old XP install in case I had some programs that wouldn't work. I only booted into XP twice, both times just to transfer settings/configs across.

I still use XP at work though, so every time I come home, it's like an upgrade.

If you really want your socks blown off, go from XP on an HDD to Win7 on an SSD. Holy loving poo poo. I can't recommend this highly enough. And it's still working out my patterns, so when prefetch catches up to my style, it'll be even better. And by better, I mean insane.

I just started Photoshop CS4, which I haven't run for 3-4 days, and it started in less than 6 seconds. If I quit and start it again it's about 2.5 seconds. I can open files in photoshop quicker than I used to be able to open them in Windows image viewer.

^^ File checking: You can turn on checkboxes next to files, and select files by clicking the checkboxes. And no, you can't select from multiple folders as far as I can tell.

frankenbeans fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

aksuur posted:

Anyone having problems with video? I tried installing CCCP but it didn't help.

I just switched from XP and now my fullscreen videos have an increased amount of pixelation, especially around edges of objects/people. Any ideas? It isn't the video quality, this happens on a 720p vid as well.

Edit - These issues appear in VLC and MPC.

I had the same problem with both Beta1 and RTM. What I have done is to set MPC output settings to:

* directshow: VMR9 (renderless)
* VMR9 (renderless) settings: Use texture surfaces and render video in 3D
* Resizer: Bilinear

And now it looks fine.

(I didn't install any codec pacsk)

I haven't tried any settings with VLC yet though, although I'm sure there will be similar options.