Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm a Mac user so I dual boot between Windows and MacOS every day.

My BIOS clock is correct.
My time in MacOS is correct.
My time when I boot Windows is ALWAYS 4 hours ahead of what it should be.
My time zone is set correctly in Windows.

I have it set to sync to a time server in "Internet Time", but I'd like for this to happen on bootup if possible. It doesn't seem to do that. Is there any way to force it to sync when the system boots?

I'm really at a loss. I don't remember ever having this problem with XP or any of the 200x Servers I've worked on.

edit: oh uh I'm running Win7 for what it's worth.

edit2: The hardware is 100% PC, not BootCamp on A Real Mactm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thank you, did the registry hack and it seems to work now.

Looks like it was a Mac issue more than a Windows issue, still I appreciate you guys taking the time to look this up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

Does that work yet? I tried it a couple years ago and windows would forget that setting at least once a day.

It's worked for me so far. I've been booting between MacOS and Windows like four times a day for the past few days.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any easy way to remove the payloads for ALL disabled features on demand in Win 8 short of running dism.exe /remove /etc /etc on each one?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Windows 8: Is there some way to make the right sidebar come in quicker? or make it sensitive to the entire right edge of the screen? It's a little annoying fumbling around the right edge trying to bring up the sidebar so I can shut down or restart properly. And even then it's pretty finnicky.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you use dism to remove Features on Demand payload, will it still download those payloads from Windows Update if it needs to install a feature, or will it actively break?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Let's talk Active Directory best practices for a second.

I set up a mini lab to get familiar with setting up an environment from scratch. I have one forest with one domain which contains:

Two domain controllers
One Windows 7 client

The domain controllers have been tasked with the DNS role and cross-reference each other. The Win7 machine obviously also uses both DCs as a DNS source.

When I cold boot the entire environment it basically takes forever for the domain controllers to boot, spinning on "Applying Computer Settings". I gather this is because Active Directory relies on DNS which isn't active on either machine when I cold-boot the entire environment. This extends the boot period to probably six or seven minutes.

Would it reduce time if I introduced a third machine which served solely the DNS role? I am imagining a scenario where that machine becomes a prerequisite to be booted before the domain controllers (assuming a cold boot of the entire environment where neither DC is already active).

Is there a best practice for booting an AD environment from scratch, and what that entails as far as how many servers you need and how the AD roles are separated out?

Every AD environment I've ever been involved in I've always come in after it's been established, and I've never had to deal with booting an entire infrastructure from scratch so I've never given it much thought.

It's almost 3am so I'm being a little rambling, but hopefully someone can figure out what I'm trying to articulate (poorly).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

I'm not sure that a third DNS server is going to fix anything. I just started up a DC VM I have on my computer, and from cold boot to desktop takes about five minutes. This is with a ton of other poo poo running on the machine right now, and I'm pretty confident it would be a lot faster if there were no resource competition. What's going on in the event log during that time? It may well be waiting on some service from the other server, but I don't think it would be DNS. It is an integral part of Active Directory, yes, but your DC should be able to figure out that it's an authoritative server for its own zone and doesn't need anything else to run.

Does the DNS service come up before Active Directory, generally speaking? It SHOULD realize it's authoritative, but if the DNS service hasn't come up before Active Directory then there is no DNS server available to it :(

This is on a clean VM that I just installed and literally the only thing going on there is DNS and AD. I glanced through logs and I was pretty sure I saw something about DNS being unreachable which is why I jumped to that conclusion, but I will check when I get home.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just remoted in to give it a try. System was powered on at ~1:43PM:

- Active Directory seems to have come online shortly after that, 1:43:xx something.
- Already seeing DNS Client errors, still no sign of DNS Server service coming online.
- NETLOGON error at 1:44:

Dynamic registration or deletion of one or more DNS records associated with DNS domain 'mydomain.local.' failed. These records are used by other computers to locate this server as a domain controller (if the specified domain is an Active Directory domain) or as an LDAP server (if the specified domain is an application partition).

- There's DNS Server service coming online at 1:45
- Lots of DFS Namespace errors relating to cross-forest trusts. Probably because Active Directory came up before DNS.
- Lots of GroupPolicy errors similar to:

The processing of Group Policy failed because of lack of network connectivity to a domain controller. This may be a transient condition. A success message would be generated once the machine gets connected to the domain controller and Group Policy has succesfully processed. If you do not see a success message for several hours, then contact your administrator.

- Still seeing DNS Client events after DNS Service reports to have started, like this one at 1:51:

Name resolution for the name mydomain.local timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

- System finally up online at ~1:52PM

I'm not certain, but I think the boot screen spinning at "Applying Computer Settings" indicates that the system is hanging on the Group Policy error. By all accounts, Active Directory and DNS are both up at that point.

Just to be clear, this is a 100% clean 2008R2 install running under VMware. The only thing I did to this box was run dcpromo which installed the AD and DNS roles. I did the same to a second instance of 2008R2 (fresh install, not clone), also ran dcpromo and joined it to the existing domain in the forest. After they were both up and running I added them to each other's NIC properties as DNS servers.

So I guess I don't know, maybe if there was a third DNS server that was up at the time that Active Directory came up maybe it would provide resolution from the get-go and prevent all these DNS errors that I suspect are holding up proper initialization? Only one way to find out I guess, I'll have to try later.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't believe that in 2013 Microsoft Windows doesn't have a native PDF viewer yet.

It's so ubiquitous and I don't think the spec is changing so frequently that it would be hard to just come up with a preview app to do this without having to install 3rd party tools.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm going to interject my OSX experience into the Windows thread and hope that it doesn't wreck anything, but I've literally used Preview.app for every single PDF I've read in the past few years and I haven't had a single issue. I don't doubt Microsoft could come up with something similar or just implement PDF reading into their native file preview thing. If you need more advanced features like signing or something then you're welcome to download 3rd party software, but I really think that not having native PDF viewing in an OS in 2013 is horribly .... bad.

I mean there are obvious differences such as that OSX uses Quartz which is "PDF" based so it's LITERALLY built into the OS, but I still don't think this would be a huge hurdle for a company like Microsoft.

(obviously not an effort to start some mac vs pc thing, please don't take as such)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well, fair enough but the internet really isn't falling over itself to do the XPS thing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is MSE a mature viable replacement for a paid subscription AV service, or should I still look at one of the big name solutions? The context of this question is a "mom pc" for a friend that I pretty much never plan to touch again, and while I never really want to see this machine again I'd like for her to have some basic protection against dumb everyday stuff.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Merci. She mentioned McAfee but I was kind of on the fence about installing it vs MSE. I'll check out the link, thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This one may be a little esoteric:

Is there an app that I can load onto a Windows CE 5.0 device to show me what keycodes are being sent when I hit a physical button on a device?

I'm hacking a cheap GPS unit that runs WinCE and I want to trigger an action when I hit the "menu" button on the front but I have no idea what keycode it's sending. If it's sending a keycode at all, I mean.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So I've got a question about Windows Updates.

Does the updater service not register on Task Manager's network throughput graph?

I just did a brand new Win8 install, fired up the Task Manager and loaded up Windows Update. It sat at 0% for forever and didn't show any network activity. I got tired of waiting so I just told it to restart and install changes. Lo and behold it sat there for 30 seconds and the reboot screen now says "Installing update X of 42..."

So quite frankly I'm not sure when it actually downloaded these updates. This is just a standalone laptop, not part of any domain with a WU server or anything.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey guys, I have a Lenovo T440s that I did a clean install of Win 8.1 on. I updated all the drivers, etc., but when I boot the device I get the ugly low-res Windows logo before it boots into 1080p mode. It's purely cosmetic but I can't help but be bothered by it. I tried reinstalling the HD4400 drivers right from Intel's website, from Lenovo's website, etc. and nothing seems to fix it. Any idea how I can track down why this is?

The laptop is in UEFI mode if that matters. I didn't think it did but some googling reveals that might be one of the reasons? Which makes no sense to me. And obviously if I set the laptop back to legacy BIOS I won't get Windows to boot so whatever.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 1, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a way to tell Windows 7/8/8.1 to mount a network resource after connecting to a specific network? For example, I use my personal laptop at work sometimes so I'm not joined to the domain, but if I connect to my work's wifi I'd like to map a few UNC paths that I use regularly using specific drive letters. The letters are duplicated across some of our clients' sites so I'd prefer not to just keep everything mounted and disconnected, but rather X: could be a different UNC path depending on which wifi network I'm connected to, for example.

Maybe this is really obvious and I'm just having a monday morning brain fart or something :confused:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 2, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Will give this a try tomorrow, thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I wasn't having much success with the net use method. It would mount the drives when I ran the .bat myself, but it didn't seem to want to do it when launched through task sched. I'll investigate the powershell alternative later tomorrow, thanks.

Still a great solution, just needs a little tweaking.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a twitter app for Windows 8 that will display a metro-like (Outlook 2013-like, if you prefer) desktop notification if you get a new tweet directed at you without having a metro app running in the background, like the twitter app from the app store does?

I guess I just don't really want to have the Metro app running fullscreen in the background. Don't ask me why, I'd just prefer not.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any way to make Outlook 2013 send from your primary email account no matter which mailbox you are currently looking at?

One of my clients has Outlook 2013 set up with his office exchange server and his personal gmail. He's always accidentally sending work email from his gmail because he happens to have his gmail account selected.

I guess I'd like it to ALWAYS have his @officeexchange.com email as the From:, and only send from his gmail.com if he explicitly selects it from the dropdown.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Alternately: Teamviewer. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What would be the best way to achieve an alias for powershell.exe so I can just type win-R->ps and open powershell?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for all the advice everyone, but especially:

zapateria posted:

Have you considered putting it on the taskbar so you can use win+{n}?

.. because I didn't know this was possible and I immediately made this face :stare: when I tried it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just switched from Hackintosh back to Windows after like 10 years of using OSX.

Is there a Windows equivalent of the stock Twitter app in OSX? I just want something that I can scale down to a small window, with one single column for my friend's tweets. MetroTwit ALMOST fills the need but for some absurd reason they won't let you resize it into a small narrow window.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

Windows 8? Grab the stock Twitter app from the store, then drag it to a single column on the side of the screen?

Sorry I should have specified I'm looking for a Desktop app :(

Yeah, that's one option though :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So quick question about Outlook (2013).

If an email is informal I usually sign it with my initials. "pk.", except Outlook always autocorrects this to "Pk."

Is there any way to have it NOT capitalize the P? I've tried adding it to the autocorrect dictionary, no dice.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, thanks for the advice guys. I added "pk" to autocorrect exceptions list. It wouldn't let me add "pk.", the period made the "Add" button grey out. No dice, though.

I think I'll turn off Auto-caps since I type them anyway.

In the end it's not even a big deal, I've just been signing my emails with "pk" since forever and it's pretty much muscle memory that Outlook happens to mess up.

And I've got a sig that I could add it to, but tbqh I'll just turn off auto-caps first.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

JohnnyCanuck posted:

....Marty are you secretly P.K. Subban?

No, but technically I was "PK" before him :smug:

.. way before him :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What is the go-to codec pack for Windows 8.1 now? When I was an OSX user I ripped all my futurama DVDs to MKV and now I've got nothin' :(

I guess I could install VLC or something but I'm not a huge fan to be honest.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Good bits of advice, thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I need to build a small VM whose sole purpose will be to run the VMware 5.5 thick client. I'm trying to decide which OS to use for this. How small can I make Win7 these days? Is there a good writeup about stripping it down to the literal bare minimum?

I will seriously only use this VM to launch the VMware client and then immediately put it to sleep when I'm done doing what I need, so basically anything that doesn't accomplish that goal can go, if possible.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a go-to TOTP app for Windows? Need a Google Authenticator equivalent for my Dell Venue 8 Pro. The obvious search of the Windows Store reveals "google authenticator" but it doesn't look nice and i'm wondering if there's a crowd favourite. Of course whether or not it looks nice is really secondary to it actually -- you know -- working, but still..

The couple I found don't have the ability to add via QR code which is a pain in the dick.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 31, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

WorkingStiff posted:

Why don't you use NFC? What's wrong with YubiKey's software?

I've got a folder full of QR codes that I need to scan in to match my other google authenticator apps on my ipad and iphone. I can decode them and add them by hand but I'd rather not. Not sure about the Yubikey software, I'll check it out, thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Quick question about 8.1 -- Is there any way to use your Microsoft account to log into your PC and enable syncing of OneDrive and PC settings for everything EXCEPT your desktop theme? I use my own MS account to log into my "work" travel laptop but I'd like to change the colours to reflect my company's brand.

Can't seem to find any place to separate the two. I know I can disable sync of PC settings entirely but I don't know if I want to go that far, or even if I need to.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not sure if anyone here can answer but what the heck:

Can I chain Office365 University keys? I have a legit O365 University subscription and it entitles me to install Office on two Macs/PCs, however I have four devices. If I purchase another O365-University keycard at the campus bookstore will Microsoft let me chain them together so I can install on 4 Macs, or will I have to upgrade to an actual O365 non-University account which lets me install on up to 5?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Wouldn't you just have a pair of 2-machine license keys if you buy another card?

Well you have to associate those keys with a Microsoft account so I didn't know if there was some "one educational key per account" limitation or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Has there not been a 2012R2 rollup ISO since 2014? I'm installing a 2012R2 server for the first time in forever and the updates process is taking something like four hours.