Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

osigas posted:

Is it wrong that I'm seriously considering using Windows Live Messenger and Mail and my IM and email client on Win7?! The programs have been dead to me all through XP and Vista thanks to Miranda/Digsby and Thunderbird but they look so much sexier now, I think Windows 7 is actually making me feel like programs shouldn't just be functional and a bit drab a la Mozilla's offerings.
Live Mail is a great program. I've been curious about Messenger, but I have no reason whatsoever to actually try it, because I'm an American and don't know anybody who uses MSN or Yahoo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Mozzie posted:

I just wish Microsoft would swallow it's pride and rebuild an OS from scratch over UNIX.
In other words, not from scratch.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Yes, a "clean" install will recognize your old install and move those files to Windows.old. You don't need to lose everything, although it's always a good idea to backup beforehand.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Mr_Person posted:

Worth noting: I had to run 7-Zip as admin once in order to get the integration and file associations working. This only seems to happen with the 64-bit builds.
Weird, I didn't ever have to do that.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Mensur posted:

Did you have UAC disabled?
Never in my life.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

I hope I didn't somehow miss someone else post this, RE: the EU browser-bundling debacle: Revealed in a statement by the European Commission, Microsoft offered to give consumers a choice of browser installation through a browser ballot screen.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

I miss the dark (-er than window borders) Vista Taskbar and how the titlebar & Taskbar turn opaque when a window is maximized. Does anybody know of a way to get that behavior back?

I also miss the blue line on active windows for some reason.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

I miss this too and have been watching for any new information about changes in Win7 vs Vista styling to write a utility to make this happen.
This'd be pretty sweet.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Same for me.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

jarito posted:

When I plug it in, explorer recognizes it and shows it as a flash drive. However, when I click on it, explorer spins and never finishes. I have to disconnect it to use explorer again.

Do you guys use 32 bit or 64 bit?
64 bit for me, too.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

A fancy hack instead of a supported and updated free download of Windows Live Mail... because it wasn't preinstalled. Okay.
I sympathize with him, because the calendar in WLM is inferior to the Vista one (no tasks, it's uglier, etc.) and is another thing that I miss from Vista.

Sunbird is looking pretty nice these days, though…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

In a nutshell, the problem (as it is now) is that Java is not installed but Windows thinks it is. I've tried 4 or 5 different methods of completely removing Java. But whenever I try to install it, it says "This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?".
What methods did you try?