Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

redeyes posted:

See, I don't want the upgrade because I want to be able to load my system from a USB drive and a fresh hard drive. The upgrades cannot do that which makes them useless for me even though I do actually own 6 copies of Vista.

I'm sure there will be a way to do this with the upgrade version. If not, someone will make a way. There are too many people with netbooks and no optical drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

m2pt5 posted:

Emphasis mine.

Eh, we'll see. I may be mistaken, but I haven't seen this posted officially anywhere by Microsoft. Your link's reference is a blog that says a Microsoft spokesman told him. Purple monkey dishwasher.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Lum posted:

There are a variety of programs out there which can clone hard drives either to other hard drives or to a file. Think of it as a .ISO but for a harddrive.

Acronis TrueImage is the goon-approved one, but you have to pay for that. I used a free one called SelfImage that does roughly the same thing. Basically you boot from a boot CD/Floppy/USB with a suitable imaging program installed and dump the contents into a file on a USB harddrive.

But basically yes, install Win7 once (clean install preferably) and then before you even start installing drivers (as they will probably have been updated by the time you come to re-install your image) take an image, keep it somewhere safe and if you need to reformat, you just blast the image back onto your harddrive using the same boot CD, problem solved.

Windows 7 makes it even easier because one of the options with the built-in backup software lets you do a full disk image, and lets you create a bootable rescue disk.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

Did any of you guys with the Realtek issues compare hardware configurations? There must be some common link there somewhere, I've setup 7 for a bunch of people now with the latest RT Win7 64bit drivers and had no issues. It's probably a driver bug/conflict related to some specific component.

I installed Windows 7 on a system with an AMD Phenom II 550, and the sound was fine. I shut down, changed the processor to an Athlon II 250, and now the sound is garbled.
Nothing else changed. That makes no sense to me.

This is with the default windows drivers for onboard Realtek HD audio.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Manky posted:

No, it...actually claims to have "Exclusive Windows 7 Family Guy content." :psyduck:

Stewie and Brian talking about W7. Sure. Okay.

Animating is hard, so let's just dub over some old Family Guy footage.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
I just noticed a new feature of Windows 7, don't know if its been mentioned here yet.

You can change your audio hardware settings on the fly.
I have a USB headset, and with Vista or XP, I had to make sure the headset was plugged in prior to starting a game, otherwise it played through my speakers. 7 reroutes it immediately without you having to restart your programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

syphon posted:

I followed these instructions (http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/11/06/how-to-rearm-and-extend-free-usage-activation-grace-period-of-windows-7-to-120-days/) which were repeated word for word on a couple sites. I figured they were just copied from each other.

They were obviously way out of date. Almost none of those commands worked as advertised, but my OS stopped pestering me to activate, so I guess it all worked out in the end. I don't know which one did the trick.

Notice it says to type any of those commands, not all of them.

What it doesn't say is that sysprep will reset your profile.

slmgr /rearm should be all you need.