Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
I asked this in the other windows 7 thread, but it may be more appropriate here:

Can I install this with a bootloader on my system? Vista SP1 bombed the install with an error code that when I looked up, ended up being due to having grub as a boot loader.

Also if I install this on another volume than my XP install will I have any problems dual booting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
I have 2 major gripes about Windows 7 and I'm not sure if anybody can help.

1. Audigy 2 + Ventrilo. This is almost certainly a creative labs issue, but for some reason any kind of microphone usage in Ventrilo has me sounding like an underwater robot.

I've tried various drivers and some service pack thing I found on the creative forums (at work, don't have the link handy) and really everything "works" in that sound works, the front panel works and all that. Just, mic inputs sound really garbled in vent.

2. Alt-tabbing back into games. I alt-tab out of games quite a bit, and it's never an issue. But tabbing back into a game, even a game as low-tech as WoW can take upwards 30 second at times. My system is decent, an overclocked E6600 with 4GB RAM, and certainly XP had no qualms about tabbing in and out of games. But everything I alt-tab in windows 7 it takes ages. This happens in WoW, Fallout 3, and Left 4 Dead.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

osigas posted:

I did post this in the WoW Goon forums but I remembered seeing others having some WoW issues with Windows 7 through the course of these threads so thought I'd ask here too as I suspect it's a permissions problem.

I'm still having problems with WoW not saving my UI settings on Windows 7 and defaults to old settings every time I log in.

WoW is installed to C:\Users\Public\Games (full access rights to my user and administrator), I have set WoW.exe and Launcher.exe to run as administrator, and I have tried deleting my WTF folder and re-launcing... but to no avail! I've also tried setting the config.wtf to be read only and then back again but every time I launch WoW it defaults back no matter what I set. All my other settings are being saved (key bindings, addon settings etc) but the Video options are always lost.

Am I missing something glaringly obvious? Has anyone else had to tinker with permissions to get this working?

It definitely sounds like permissions. I run WoW from the same location as I did in XP (C:\games\wow\) and haven't had any problems. Did you come from a vista install? I think vista (only used it for like a week) kept some wow files somewhere besides the wow folder. If so track that down and check permissions on that folder.

Also try running wow as administrator see if it still gives you grief?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
What is a good lightweight ISO mounting program? I don't care about any emulations for copy protection stuffs like daemontools does, just something to mount some ISOs. I was under the impression that Windows 7 could mount ISOs without any 3rd party software but I'm not finding anything.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
So, if I have a copy of vista business edition, can I upgrade to W7 Ultimate? The first post in this thread seems to indicate that:

quote:

Q: Can I upgrade from Vista Business to Windows 7 Home Premium?

A: No, only upgrades to an equal or better equivalent version are allowed.
Whereas the purchase page for Windows 7 on the microsoft site is much more ambiguous

quote:

# Running Windows Vista?
# If you have Windows Vista, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. You can do a clean install (back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications) or an in -place upgrade (Windows 7 installs over Windows Vista).
# Running Earlier Versions?
# If you have Windows XP or Windows 2000, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. But you must back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications.

Also, where is currently the best place to purchase Windows 7? I'd like to get a key to use for RTM when it's released.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Funnehman posted:

I think all that just means that if you're trying to go Vista Ultimate -> W7 Home for example, you need to do a clean install, but if you were going from Vista Home -> W7 Pro, you would be able to do an upgrade install, keeping all of your programs and whatnot.

At least I think that's what it means..

Okay, that would make more sense.

Anybody know the best place to currently pre-order Windows 7?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
So the OP has a link for that UK 50% off deal, is there currently a similar deal for us Americans? Basically I would like to get a pre-order in and my key as soon as possible so I can upgrade my RC (in hopes that RTM fixes a few things that are bothering me).

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
SO, I guess my workplace has a "Partner" subscription of some kind that gives us a Technet style access to ISOs and various keys.

We have keys for Windows 7 Ultimate, but they don't seem to work with RTM. I really have no idea what this Partner program is about, I always throught we had technet since we used to get quarterly updates mailed to us with all the latest software and a slew of keys for it. The ISOs are labeled like "SW_DVD5_Win_Ult_7_64BIT_English_ForPartners_X15-65922.ISO"

Does anybody know if there's a way to get the RTM build to accept a Partner program key? I asked the guy that handles all this at the office but he really has no idea.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
So ever since I installed SP1, I cannot play any 3D game. EVE, WOW, Dragon Age 2 Demo... everything crashes almost immediately. Is this a a common thing with this service pack?

My system is otherwise rock solid, and always has been. i7, GeForce 570 on an x58 board.

edit: Guess I'm not the only one. Gonna uninstall SP1 and see if that fixes it.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

rolleyes posted:

What's this you say? nVidia's drivers are poo poo despite having had plenty of time to test and address any issues? Well, at least it's the first time they've allowed that to happen... :v:

fakedit:
Not having a go at you, I suffered the whole nVidia + Vista = BSOD issue as a Vista early adopter. Just how long does that company need to get it's poo poo together?

Well if it is the display driver then this is basically the first time in all the years I've used nvidia it really did something retarded to me.

In any case uninstalling SP1 (holy poo poo that takes forever) fixed it.