Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

What exactly is so valuable that you can't afford to miss it while the start menu is open for 3 seconds?

If anything it takes up less screen real estate because it keeps all the Program Files stuff in the same window instead of popping up trees all over the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Has anyone here tried to share a printer from their Windows 7 desktop to an OSX laptop? I have both computers connected to a router and they can share files using smb://, but the printer doesn't show up in OSX.

I've enabled sharing in OSX and in 7, as well as specifically enabling sharing for the printer. The firewall is off. Is there something else I need to do?

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Shadowgate posted:

It is somewhat true though. Sure Windows 7 has some very nice changes and new features but they didn't change all that much.

Uh

Listen, you should know by now that just because your start menu isn't in virtual reality doesn't mean they didn't change a whole hell of a lot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_7

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The Netflix app for Vista is just a default module in Vista MC. It isn't part of 7's, but the thirdparty app some guy wrote for 7 works, but it doesn't actually integrate with 7 MC when you play a move, it just launches a browser window so you can't use your remote.

I can definitely use my remote with a Netflix browser window.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Manky posted:

Netflix uses Silverlight, and it's pretty great.

Silverlight is amazing in Netflix. Before, it used some lame Windows Media Player thing that required all sorts of setup to make sure it could actually play the videos, and it didn't support browsers other than IE

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

syphon posted:

Is there any tool that works with Win7 x64 to show the temp of my Radeon 4800 series? (ATITool seems the obvious answer, but the driver isn't signed so it won't work on x64)

The catalyst software shows temp, doesn't it?

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Yaos posted:

My brand new motherboard will use my USB keyboard fine in the BIOS, and the POST screen, but it won't let me use it in the boot menu or when the Boot from cd/dvd prompt comes up. I had to hook up a PS/2 keyboard. It's 2009, what the hell is this?

Turn on USB Legacy Support in the BIOS

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Yaos posted:

All the USB options are on, including the USB Legacy option, it must be my keyboard acting up for some reason.

Well you can try turning USB Legacy off then

But yeah it sounds like your keyboard is messed up

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

I have a Creative X-FI card and I've been getting a TON of crashes and stuttering in Modern Warfare 2, which I think might be related to the sound card. Does anyone know if Windows Update will install its own drivers for the card yet, or am I stuck with the ones from Creative that haven't been updated since April?

I might just rip the card out of my computer and turn the Realtek chip back on - I can't loving believe how awful Creative's support is. Isn't the X-FI still the newest brand they have?

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Galmar posted:

Also, would this also be the case if i put XP SP2/3 on instead of the Win7 install? I'm sure my version of Win7 doesn't have XP compatibility but I plan on leaving lots of old games installed (Baldurs gate II, Fallout 2, Jagged Alliance 2 etc..)

Those games all work with Windows 7. As far as games go, I can't think of a single one that works on XP but not Windows 7.

For Fallout 2 you'll need to do a little work to fix the graphics corruption and performance on modern computers: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/Fallout_Series/fallout_2_colors_problem/_/1

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Capnbigboobies posted:

Perhaps the crashes could be related to some other hardware issue such as ram?

Maybe a screwy hard drive, but I haven't experienced the problems in any other game. I even defragged the game files through Steam.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Be thankful for EDID support because for two years Ubuntu wouldn't recognize the EDID of my 22" LCD and would boot up to a giant letter L filling the screen because it thought the screen was 2mm x 1mm.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Sir Nigel posted:

Besides hardware acceleration, what is the difference between Haali and EVR that would make one superior over the other?

Uh I think you're downplaying the significance of hardware acceleration here chief. There is no "besides hardware acceleration, what makes it better?" when it comes to playing video in HD resolutions.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Crossposted from the Mac OSX thread...

I have a Windows 7 PC that is connected via ethernet to my Time Capsule (router). Why can't my Macbook running Snow Leopard connecting wirelessly to the same Time Capsule see it in shared computers? File sharing is turned on in the Windows PC.

Why do I have to manually enter the IP address of my 10-year-old HP printer connected to my Windows 7 machine into CUPS even though all the appropriate sharing settings are on?

It's a mystery!

God bless anyone who's taken the thousands of man-hours to get OSX-Windows 7 networking working with eachother.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

fishmech posted:

Many scanners consider that program malware or adware, so why bother installing it?

Isn't that circular reasoning? Scanners have false positives, surely there must be some way of determining if it's actual malware or adware rather than rely on a scanner.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

tzirean posted:

I've never had it been tagged as such by any scanner, and I've used the program across several computers with several scanners.

EDIT: Though if there's a better recommended weather program with a tray icon, I'd certainly try it.

Try AccuWeather. They make ForecastFox, which is great.

http://desktop.accuweather.com

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

tzirean posted:

If I didn't want something with a tray icon, I'd be all over that.

Google brought up a help page talking about a tray icon but maybe it was for an old version or something :(

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

fishmech posted:

USB -> PS/2 converters only work if the USB keyboard in question has a PS/2 mode. They don't have active conversion of signals for the most part.

I've never seen a keyboard that didn't do USB -> PS/2. I've bought lovely $10 keyboards from Walmart that came with an adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Forgive me if this has been covered earlier in the thread, but I'm having problems with iTunes 64 freezing up a couple seconds after it loads. A google search gives me a bunch of results for different issues, but no satisfactory solutions.

I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64bit and iTunes 64bit. Would an older version of iTunes help? I didn't have this problem running the RC of Windows 7.

Edit: It freezes if I have my iPod Touch plugged in, and if it's unplugged it'll freeze when I plug it in.