Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Stuntman Mike posted:

What about Apples 64-bit only Safari 4 in Snow Leopard? BLACK MAGIC :psyduck:

Maybe it will force adobe to get off their asses and fix their poo poo. 64bit systems aren't exactly bleeding edge technology. I'm personally hoping that they've considered the problem, and developed their own flash player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Lord Commissar posted:

:rolleyes:

It's not UAC, I can turn them off, but frankly they don't bother me. The problems I had were that some programs needed to be run as admin, and even though my account was an admin account, it didn't work. Even if I used "Run as Administrator".

It was a while ago so I don't remember specifics, unfortunately, but I remember it being an issue for me.

You'd probably be best off sticking with windows xp, rather than finding software that works with the security model that every modern OS uses.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Lord Commissar posted:

If you weren't busy being so snarky, you might have noticed someone else had the same issue with their Blackberry software. Surely, Blackberry software is ancient and archaic, right?

Nokia can make a PC suite that works with modern operating systems. Why can't RIM?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Lord Commissar posted:

Now I want to make a Windows 1.0 theme for 7.

I'd use it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

I figured out why my laptop couldn't do full screen Hulu and was slow in general. It's an old machine and there's something broken in the power system where it won't clock up on its own so I have to use something like Notebook Hardware Control to manually set it at 2GHz.

Unfortunately, NHC doesn't seem to work in Vista even though it says it does, and RMClock didn't work either though that might be because I didn't use it correctly.

Does anyone know of any utilities that actually are able to set the CPU speed correctly? If not, I'll have to go back to XP.

Are you using 64-bit Vista? RMClock requires a signed driver or it won't load. A quick google should reveal something suitable. I use it to undervolt my laptop's CPU. Now it doesn't overheat when under load.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Running 7x86 on this old Pentium M. Have you had success adjusting CPU speed? Are you running 32 or 64bit Win7?

64-bit 7. I can control the CPU speed as well as voltage. I have a core2duo.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Jam2 posted:

My processor operates between 60C-75C at 1332MHz. Dell XPS M1330 laptop, 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo. Under heavy load, it locks up and throttles down to 733MHz, rendering my laptop completely useless. Yay.

I have exactly the same machine as you. I use RMclock to undervolt my CPU, and Now the system is stable at 64C at 100% load for three hours. Battery life is much better in general too.

edit: I've had two mainboards that both have heat issues. RMClock seems to an excellent way to manage it.

edit 2: this link has all the information as well as a link to a signed x64 driver for RMClock.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=235824

I can only speak to my experience, but I went from 1.25v to 0.95 with no issue. According to the guide it has potential to cause instability leading to blue screens. Google revealed no further risk.

The hottest I've had it get since is 64C whilst playing 720p H.264 video. It idles at 45ish.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Fearian posted:

This seems like a too-simple question, but what's a good IRC client to use nowerdays?

I like X-Chat.