Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Cartwright posted:

I'm having a weird issues regarding ram and win 7 x64. I had 4 gigs (4 one gig sticks) installed with xp pro 32-bit (I know it could only see 3). I went to try and do a clean install with my win 7 x64 upgrade disc - no dice. Setup.exe wouldn't run booting from the disc.

Poking around online, I saw people with the same issue had success removing half of their ram. I removed two of my sticks and tried again and everything worked fine. I shut down after a successful win 7 install and popped my two other sticks back in.

Upon starting up with 4 gigs everything took forever. Startup took 5 minutes, the os ran like garbage - slow down, cursor jumping, ect. So I removed two sticks again and everything went back to normal.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Update your BIOS, a lot of boards I've seen from a year or two back have run like crap with 4GB+ until a bios update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Schnozzberry posted:

I had an OEM version of Vista for a dell desktop. I can buy the upgrade version of Win7 and use it on any machine, correct? (not just the Dell, which has since been parted out and sold)

Legally, no, as the OEM license for Vista vanished with the machine you parted and sold.

You could still use an upgrade copy for any other machine that was licensed for XP or Vista (or I suppose Server 2003/2008, have heard of upgrade installs working fine from them), but not a bare machine.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

O'riginal posted:

I just didn't like it. Got too used to the way ACDSee works, and I prefer it. I tried Irfanview and although it's plenty fast, I found it a bit clunky.

Not trying to get into a debate here, you like it and a lot of others do, too. I recognize that Irfanview is good quality software, it's just not for me.

It's always annoyed me how Irfanview doesn't support Unicode filenames. I guess there's a hacky plugin to do it now, but come on it's been more than 10 years since a Windows that natively supports unicode came out, it is way past time to get with the program.