Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I think it's great they're offering Win7 cheap to students. It'll be the first version of Windows I haven't received from a guy who knows a guy.

My question is regarding the Win7 Professional Full for 40$. What's the benefit of this over the 30$ Win7 Pro Upgrade ? As far as I know the Windows7 upgrades do a fresh install correct?

Also, does a Windows 7 Beta count as a licensed OS eligible for upgrade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

I just got off the phone with a cool representative named Eric who got me Windows7 Professional Full for only $29.99.

Still waiting on the email, but that's expected when their servers are being hammered like they are.

WOHOO

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

wintermuteCF posted:

I just got my .edu email addresses re-activated, what's the phone number to call to do this $29.99 deal? I didn't see that in the OP, and win741.com is poo poo about sending me an email.

I used 1-877-696-7786 , then 7, and then 1 in the call tree. I told them a friend said I could get professional for 39$ bucks and then he said how about 29$ bucks? I confirmed he said full and forked over my CC info.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Edit:
I received an email with a product key but I don't see any download link. I didn't get another email either :-( I don't see Why I can't just plug the product key in my Windows 7 Beta To have a working version. That would be awesome

LooseChanj posted:

That was the program that made the floppies to boot from and install from the CD. I think the last time they used that was NT4.

CD-ROM God? That was a neat little life saver!

decypher fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 26, 2009

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

Yeah, semi-known bug: fix

Ug. I ran this and it said two files needed to be updated, ehci and ohci. Rebooted and once into windows my computer completely froze. Hard booted and I get a blue screen on start up, or after I log in. :(

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

I am looking for a program that will capture audio from other programs (foobar, firefox, etc.) and saves it in a specified format. Something like Audio Hijack for those Mac guys. Any suggestions? edit: I'm stuck on Windows XP.

decypher fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 4, 2011

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Dyscrasia posted:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Audacity will work assuming your sound card supports that kind of recording. Really, any recording program will work.

Ah, very cool.

And of course after I posted this I remembered I could use Sound Recorder to capture audio. I was pretty impressed with Sound Recorder when I saw the option to save as an MP3, too! Appreciate the help.

edit: I was impressed with sound recorder until I had to deal with the initial 60 second clip limit. Ya just hit record again and it adds another 60 seconds, of course, but too bad there wasn't a way worked in to specify track length or even to let you record endlessly. RIP Sound Recorder.

decypher fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 4, 2011

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Is there a way to give a user read and write access but somehow lock folders in place so the user cannot accidentally click and drag a folder somewhere unintentionally?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

More a theory question than a Windows question, but I couldn't find the 'Small SOFTWARE questions not deserving their own thread' thread.

Whenever there's a download link to a file served on an FTP its not able to determine transfer time. It just says unknown. Also, it says '1,224KB of unknown completed'. We've all seen this before. And I'm sure you've noticed this does not happen when the file lives on HTTP servers.

What is it about FTP that causes this?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

I have been given a project at work to go through each entry of our dilapidated joke of a database and print each entry. The database entries are all accessible through a url ending in Detail.php?id=46, id 46-140. Each entry must be scaled down to fit on one sheet for print.

So far I’ve been painstakingly going through each entry one by one, page previewing, scaling down the print job, then printing. It’s a pain in the buttox.

If I was smart, I'd be able to use wget somehow, but I dont know how. If there any application that could help me with this workflow?

edit: Seems to be one of those things ya just gotta do yourself. Oh well :)

decypher fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 9, 2011

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Super Dude posted:

You can't manually query the database? What dbms are you using?

Things are stored in .php files, so don't know I'd that helps.

The database is a list of form results, essentially. People fill out a form, it gets logged and tagged with an ID. I can't sort by date , facility, person filling the form out. It's a weak database and were working with our consultant to improve it.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

My wife's old PowerShot SD1000 all of a sudden stopped showing up when plugged in. I get the "Device driver software was not properly installed," which is weird because just the other day I plugged it in and transferred pictures.

It's showing up in Device Manager as "MTP USB Device." I've gathered that MTP is Media Transfer Protocol, but I don't know why it's showing up as this and not Canon PowerShot.

Unfortunately, there are no drivers on the Canon website (except for Windows 2000-they didnt work in Win 7).

I'm about to format my computer because that's what people do when Windows inevitably gives them poo poo.

What the gently caress is going on ?

edit: why would it forget my drivers? How do i fix this without reformatting?

decypher fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 2, 2012

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Corvettefisher posted:

Why not just uninstall it from device manager and then scan and run windows update?

Chances are the driver for the device got corrupt, the drivers are reporting as available but can not be properly initialized.

Dang. Thought it was going to work when it showed a new update, but for some reason it was an update for an Acer display even though I have a Dell monitor.

What's weird is that it shouldn't NEED drivers to work. This stupid loving camera works fine on my stupid loving Mac.

edit: Question is, how do I disassociate whatever driver Windows is assigning to my Canon? How do I make it pick the right one? What the gently caress Windows..

decypher fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 2, 2012

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

I'd like to add the filename to a bunch of images in a folder.

IrfanView has an option to do this from the "Print.." menu, but I have 80 images and I'd like to do this in a batch process if possible.

Anyone know the best way to do this?

edit: I have Photoshop CS3, but I'm pretty horrible with it..

decypher fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 6, 2012

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

The Aphasian posted:

Ant Renamer is my file renamer of choice.

Thank you kindly, sir, but I was trying to inject the filename onto the image itself.

I finally figured out a way to do it with Photoshop, thankfully. By using this script: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&extid=1044198 and these instructions: http://www.coremediadesign.co.uk/learn_web_design/free_web_design_tutorials/tutorial/photoshop_batch_automate_function.html

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Is there a program or perhaps registry setting that will automatically open folders which were open when Windows restarts?

edit: Oh yeah! I remember! It's in Tools > Folder Options > View > in the Advance Settings window there's a check box for 'Restore previous folder windows at logon' (Windows XP of course.)

decypher fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 24, 2012

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

I was looking for the same thing a few weeks back, couldn't find poo poo.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/

Foxit Reader is free and pretty good. I don't think it has a lot of the advanced features of Acrobat but I remember it having basic editing options. Worth a look.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Every since I installed the new NVidia drivers, my screen flashes when I load/unload a Flash video ala YouTube (so the screen flashes when the page loads, and then again when I browse elsewhere).

Help?

I had to roll back to October's drivers because the latest update made me blue screen every time I used Flash. No problems at all since doing that.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

I just installed Office 2010 32-bit on a 64-bit system. When it finished, it didn't register any of the file extensions with Windows. Is that cause I'm using a stupid version for my OS?

I did the 32-bit version because the install said, "Hey! Your Plug-Ins might be broken and other compatibility issues could arise if you use 64-bit." I heeded the warning cause we use Kaspersky and I didn't know if it would be happy. Kinda foolish of me in retro.

Should I just install the 64-bit version and see? Or is there a button I can press to have Office register it's file extensions with Windows?

Edit: on an unrelated note, I'm so impressed with Windows Scheduled Task/task scheduler interface, so strong!

decypher fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 22, 2012

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Hey guys,

At work we have a map I built in The Gimp. I'm looking for a piece of software that can take the image(format isn't important) and allow someone to draw lines all over it with the ability to go back later and make a change is necessary. Sorta like how PDFs work with annotating. In fact, we have used PDF's in the past but I'm hoping there's another way as I'm having some issues with Gimp exporting to PDF.

We just need to be able to open, reference, make changes as jobs are completed, and correct old/bad marks as needed.

Thank you

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Toadsniff posted:

Pretty sure you can do this in MS Word, import the image and go to Insert>Shapes, lines, call out boxes, etc.

I failed to mention the map is quite large and rather detailed.

MS Word would work for most stuff, I'm sure, but not this 17067x5068 image.

Just tried it, actually, and it brings Word to its knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Create a new layer(s) on top of the base image, then draw on those?
Not sure why I didn't think of this initially. Guess cause the other two who would be making their notes aren't really Gimp or photo editor savvy. It's gotta be pretty straight forward.

baka kaba posted:

Can you print to PDF instead of exporting normally? Or does printing break too?

I guess in general you probably want some vector drawing program, I don't know what the hot poo poo is in the free software world though. Inkscape?

Looks like printing to a PDF worked, but the quality was poor(CutePDF Writer), so I'll have to figure something out with that.

Inkscape looks great, I'll have to give this a thorough look.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Just curious, but what is the filesize on that? And what file format? A quick guess says it'll end up at like 82GB uncompressed at one byte per pixel, just off of the dimensions.

The .xcf is only 32MB, but if I export to .tiff its 337MB. JPEGs weigh in around 32MB, and PNG's about half that. The map isn't using the entire canvas as it is at an angle so there's significant dead space.

Appreciate all your help.

edit: Installed DoPDF 7 and it's printing high quality PDFs. Think I'm all squared away now. Thanks again.

decypher fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 7, 2013