Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Casao posted:

I have it mapped to Hibernate/Sleep for Button/Close and I like it that way, sometimes I just don't want to sleep for the 30 seconds, mostly because it kills internet.

Guess I can make another profile and use a hot key to trigger it I guess.
A lot of laptops have Fn+some F key already mapped to either Hibernate or Suspend, so you could have closing the laptop do nothing and hitting the power button do whatever the key combo doesn't do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

lapse posted:

Yeah but I'd be building my own, not buying one that comes with Windows installed.

Newegg is selling OEM/System Builder copies of Vista with the upgrade coupon for $10 more than the OEM copy by itself.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
What's my best plan for putting 7 on a new computer? I didn't see that the RC was going to work with the 7 Upgrade until after the half-off deal went away. I'm thinking get OEM Vista Business http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116676 and get the upgrade coupon to 7 Pro. Is there anything wrong with my logic other than I'm going to be without Media Center for a few months?

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

kapinga posted:

This doesn't seem any cheaper than just buying 7 Pro OEM (or upgrade) when it comes out. You'll have a full 4 months between when it goes on sale and when the RC expires.
I don't have any retail copies of XP or Vista to use with the upgrade (I own a laptop from 2005 and a netbook and am mainly only interested in running 7 on the desktop I'm building), and I would think I'd have a much more stable computer between now and the end of October if I was using Vista SP1 than if I was using the RC.

pokecapn fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 13, 2009

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

kapinga posted:

What are you using now and why not continue using it until October? If it's the RC, what were you using before that?

IF you bought a new computer and put the RC on it directly, but want to go to a non-RC OS, I guess your best bet is exactly that - buy Vista and get the 7 upgrade. If you go for Home Premium, Newegg is providing the upgrade coupon to Windows 7 just like OEMs such as Dell are doing with new computers for the summer. I couldn't find the same option for Vista Business/7 pro, but you might be able to get it with that too.
Right now I'm using nothing because the desktop isn't built yet. There's OEM Vista Business with an upgrade to 7 on newegg for $150. I'd rather live without Media Center for 4 months than mess up what I want to be my primary computer, so I think I'll go that route. Thanks for clearing things up.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
The RC (build 7100) is as recent as it will get.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Xenomorph posted:

Your ISP may still send you a NOTICE OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT email if you are caught with a Windows ISO.

I just got this one not too long ago while helping out with the free/public Windows 7 RC:

Build 7201 was neither free nor public because it was a leak.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
I have a totally sweet licensing/reselling question that may not have an answer.

I have OEM 64-bit Vista Business installed on my computer. I bought it with the free upgrade coupon, so I've ordered the upgrade for 64-bit 7 Pro and it'll come in early November or whenever. However, I have MSDNAA access and I could get 64-bit 7 Pro right now. So here are my questions:

1) Can I use the MSDNAA copy to upgrade my OS?
2) Will that 64-bit 7 Pro upgrade MS is sending me work on a computer that isn't my own? Based on the FAQ, the upgrade would still work if I downgraded to XP, so I assume it's not looking for a specific license key.
3) If I can do 1 and 2, can I legally sell the upgrade copy?

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

brc64 posted:

I've had mixed results with reading files from the virtualstore, but I think it stems from restoring backups and having unexpected results. For example, mIRC stores settings in .INI files inside Program Files. Before I format, I backup that directory.
Obviously this doesn't apply to your anecdote, but mIRC 6.3 and newer use AppData to store everything.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

SpelledBackwards posted:

I don't know why it would churn on the hard drive so loving much, but it was the worst when coming out of hibernate... even 5-10 minutes later it took ages to get it to respond to anything.

The computer grinds to a halt while it searches for something simple, whereas it would've been much faster to just traverse the start menu folder structure to find it in the first place.

In both cases, it sounds like your machines don't have enough RAM. 2GB should make everything run smooth. The latter problem might also be because you turned indexing off. My Vista machine does the search instantaneously.

Another good feature to keep in mind is that the start menu search behaves like Firefox's location bar, so programs and documents you access more frequently will show up first.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
Two questions related to Jump Lists:

1. Is there any good list of programs that take advantage of them?

2. Is there a program that will put an application's tray menu into the jump list for the app?

No matter what I try to search on it just pulls up the same useless blogs that don't tell me anything other than jump lists are a new feature.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Samurai Sanders posted:

Okay, thanks. Sorry for not reading well enough.

I'm going to be selling this old laptop, and I'll probably be tracking down the Vista DVD anyway just so I can put the original OS on before I sell it. Speaking of which, will downgrading like that present me with much of a problem?

Actually, he read your question wrong. Yes, it'll let you use the Upgrade disc if you're running XP. However, it's going to put that whole installation in a Windows.old folder and make a fresh installation for you.

You can use the upgrade disc, but you cannot perform an "upgrade install".

On the other hand, doing stupid trickery will probably be a lot faster than installing XP, then installing 7.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Office Thug posted:

Nope, still brings up the Libraries explorer.

I just found out what it was, I downloaded the 32bit installer, not the 64bit one for SVN :doh:. I'm glad that was it since I like Libraries, I didn't want to remove it.

Libraries is nothing more than grouping a couple of folders together. You can make as many or as few libraries as you want, in fact. If you're trying to tell a program where to save its files and you want it to go to someplace covered by your Documents library, just tell it to go to C:\Users\Office Thug\Documents since that's the folder in the group anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

AlexDeGruven posted:

If it's just hybrid sleep that's the issue, then you should be able to leave regular sleep. You just lose the automatic ability to hibernate under certain conditions.

That's actually not what hybrid sleep does. With regular sleep, you can set it so that when you sleep, the computer will wake up and hibernate after a certain amount of time. Hybrid sleep writes to the hiberfil.sys, then enters sleep. If you lose power, it restores from hiberfil.sys, but if you don't, you wake up fast because you're only in regular sleep.