Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

Is OpenGL completely hosed in this build of Windows 7 as well? I loved Win7 Beta, but I couldn't stand not being without my Quake Live and Tribes 2. Apparently it worked for some people, but for those people with ATI cards and the 64-bit version of Vista we were out of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

Steam has been giving me "Disk Write Error" recently, and I want to check my hard drive for bad sectors. However, it seems like Windows 10 has redesigned the Error Checking utility and there's no more checkbox to scan for bad sectors. Is that functionality just gone forever? If so, is there a decent alternative utility for detection of bad sectors?

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

Run CHKDSK C: /F /R from the command prompt. Of course change the drive letter as needed.

I ran this as an administrator and restarted the computer. I quickly saw a message for a disk check already at 100% completion and then the system continued booting. What happened?

Unboxing Day fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 29, 2015

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

WillieWestwood posted:

If you ran chkdsk on the boot drive, it will wait for the reboot before checking the drive, then it checks the drive before letting Windows load.

Right, but I was expecting the check to take a long time to look for bad sectors, where it took a few seconds. I did a little digging and I think i might now know why things are different in Windows 8/10 as far as CHKDSK goes, see here.

quote:

In Windows 8, Microsoft has redesigned chkdsk utility – the tool for detecting and fixing disk corruption. In Windows 8, Microsoft introduced a file system called ReFS, which does not require an offline chkdsk to repair corruptions – as it follows a different model for resiliency and hence does not need to run the traditional chkdsk utility.

The disk is periodically checked for file system errors, bad sectors, lost clusters, etc, during Automatic Maintenance and you now no longer need to really go and run it. In fact, Windows 8 now even exposes the state of the file-system and disk via the Action Center or under the Drive properties in File Explorer. If potential errors are found, you will be informed about it. You can continue to use the computer, while the scan is carried out in the background. If errors are found, you may be prompted via a notification to restart your computer.

This is crazy. I had no idea Windows 8 introduced a new filesystem.

Unboxing Day fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 29, 2015

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You're still using NTFS, though, not ReFS.

You're right, right click properties on C: still shows NTFS. So now I have no idea why CHKDSK didn't seem to actually bother doing any bad sector scan (or why whatever it did finished so quickly).

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

Can you screen shot the output from crystaldiskinfo? That'll tell you pretty quickly if it's screwed or not

Sure.

http://i.imgur.com/H0cR6rI.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

So I'm going through an old drive from an old PC, and I found that programs like WinDirStat get hung up on files that they do not have permission to access because of NTFS permission issues - which meant that I couldn't view my old User directory. I went to the directory in explorer and a dialog box appeared asking me to permanently give myself access to that directory. I hit Continue, and my drive thrashed for a few minutes while a green bar at the top of the explorer window slowly filled, and I stupidly closed the explorer window when it was maybe...95% done.

I can access the directory now, but now I'm paranoid that maybe I closed the explorer window before it had a chance to fix permissions on all the files and folders contained therein (or finish whatever the heck it was doing), and that programs like WinDirStat might be missing out on some files because of it. Not to mention that there might be other places on the drive that might have permission issues that I've overlooked. Is there some way - like a utility or a batch script - that I can basically make the entire drive accessible?

Unboxing Day fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 14, 2015