Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

AlexDeGruven posted:

No. You just have to have the old OS installed before you can use an upgrade key. If you're going from x86 to x64, it's a clean install, anyway. The 'Upgrade' language actually refers to the license. You can do an in-place upgrade of an existing Vista install using a full-retail key.

There's a semantics problem that's been running through this thread that I thought I should point out.

When Microsoft is talking about an upgrade key. They're talking solely about the license. The way they verify this license is by having an installed and activated eligible version of Windows on the target machine. The type of install depends on what's installed, not the license.

I'm planning to build a new system, and I have a copy of Vista Ultimate I'm using currently. So if I buy an upgrade key, I would install Vista on the new system first, activate it, then I could do a clean install of 7? Seems like an annoyance to have to do the Vista install just so I can immediately install over it, but if it's just a one-time deal maybe it's not so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Apologies if this is a question that's been answered before but it looks like the OP doesn't have Win10 info so I'm not sure where the info might be.

I'm running Win7 currently, and will be getting a new SSD to be my primary drive shortly. What I think makes the most sense is to just install Win10 fresh on the new drive. To do that, do I first need to upgrade my current Win7 install to Win10? It seems useless since I'll be immediately replacing it with a clean install, but the Microsoft answers all seem to suggest this is the only way.

E: Nevermind, think I found my own answer. The wording on the FAQ suggests you have to go that route ("Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you can reinstall or perform a clean installation on the same device."), but the upgrade/download page looks like it has an option to create install media from there.

Nibble fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 13, 2015

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

What fortunate timing for me, then. Thanks!