Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Farking Bastage posted:

Has anyone else noticed a LOT more GPU ( not a typo) fan activity under Windows 7?

I've got my home machine dual booting which has an Nvidia 7800GT. On XP the fan hardly ever runs even when running games, however in Win7 It's constantly cycling itself on and off sometimes taking time to throttle up just from opening IE8.

I'm wondering if Rivatuner runs under 7. I may just use that to hardwire it.

Shouldn't be taxing a 7800GT all that much but yes, there should be a lot more GPU load. The UI graphic elements in Vista/7 are hardware rendered by the GPU, unlike XP and earlier which were rendered by the CPU. This is a very good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Binary posted:

Just installed a new copy of Windows 7 Home pro on a new PC. I've installed the latest video card drivers (HD 4890) and the text still looks blurry and the refresh rate seems to be bothering me. For whatever reason it lists the refresh rate as 59HZ, if I set it to 60 it's back at 59 when I check again, where in the world does this number come from? The desktop graphics right now look like I've gone to a previous version of Windows, not upgraded to the latest and greatest. Tested Fallout 3 and it seems to display fine, it's the desktop that's does not seem right.

Edit: the monitor is set to its native resolution as well.

Try going through the wizard that adjusts your text to suite your monitor/eyes, I believe it's buried in the control panel somewhere (sorry I can't be more exact, I don't recall, maybe someone else can jump in here). It really helped for me.

Are you on a CRT? Otherwise I'm not sure why you'd think refresh rate is the culprit. What makes it seem "like an older version of windows"? Is Aero disabled for some reason?

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

Dyscrasia posted:

On the same note, is there anything that allows XP to connect to homegroups?

You can connect WinXP computers to Win7 shares the normal way, just make sure the Win7 machine has a user set up that matches the user/password of the WinXP user connecting.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

mobn posted:

I do not turn off, sleep, hibernate, or anything else unless I'm installing updates. Otherwise my computer runs continuously. It's been going strong for three years without any problems in this way. I figure the expansion and contraction that comes from the parts cooling off and heating up when turned off and on is more wear on it than running in a consistent state.

It's negligible either way, what's not is the energy costs. Do you hate trees?!

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Having issues lately with files saved to desktop not showing up on the desktop. They're there when viewed from explorer. :iiam:

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Any way to get Search to stop returning the Uninstaller as the first result instead of the program? Tired of hitting enter without looking and then needing to cancel out, reseaerch, arrow down a couple to select the exe.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

Factor Mystic posted:

Quit choosing it when you search for a program

But I'm not looking at the stupid window since the whole point is to go fast and I'm doing other poo poo, so I search and hit enter twice--then suddenly UNINSTALLER, and it happens for almost every app including apps I've never searched for before.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
iTunes 10 stuck a Quicktime shortcut to the top of my start menu and IT WILL NOT GO AWAY. "Remove from this list" does nothing. loving Apple. Any ideas?

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

MutantBlue posted:

Do you have an option to "Unpin from Start Menu"?

Nope.

Open
Remove from this list
Properties

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

smallmouth posted:

Is just hanging out at the top of the recently used programs lists? Or is it actually pinned? If the latter, you might be able to delete it from here: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu

The former :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

fishmech posted:

If it's hanging out there, it's because you use it a lot...

Dude I'm not an idiot, I know how that menu works. This isn't that. I *never* use Quicktime, it appeared there after the itunes 10 update. In fact I have nothing else in that menu as I don't us that feature and have it turned off. It's not pinned, it's not frequently used, it's a bug and I can't kill it. :/