Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
is there a good way to remove a user/computer from a domain, but keep all of the user's profile information, program settings, documents, etc in tact?

I've furiously googled and tried a few different methods, including ones that say copy the user directory over except for the ntuser.dat and ini, ones that say use the 'copy profile to' button in the user settings section of the system menu, and I've contemplated trying to use files and settings transfer wizard, but that just seems silly.

So far the best I've done was the copy-everything-but-the ntuser.dat and ini method, but the user's mail settings and desktop background, among other things, weren't preserved. Accounts gotta be 99% the same, so this is a non starter. I could explain to someone that they'd have to reset their background, but not why all their mail profiles aren't on their system anymore...

argh help. working with windows xp sp3 and a SBS 2003 domain if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Armourking posted:

Tried User Profile Wizard 3.5?
I've used it to go from Local->Domain user profile, and you can select the local machine as the target domain, to

I saw this linked in a blog, but I'd hope there'd be a way to do it just using microsoft and its tools.

I'm looking at the versions of that software - would the free version cover this task? I'm not sure if 'rename profile folder' would be a step, but I'd assume so

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Armourking posted:

The personal version, which works fine, is free.

cool, I guess I'll give it a shot. thanks!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I have a friend who lives far away. She is getting a new computer, and wants to donate her old machine. She is concerned about the safety of her personal data though, she has credit card numbers and financial data on her computer.

What is a idiot-proof tool I could recommend to her to wipe her harddrive? I want something automatic like DBAN, and I could just mail her a CD with DBAN installed, but I'd worry about like, her BIOS not being set to boot from CD, et cetera - so even that's not idiot proof enough.

I'm hoping for a freeware tool that will run from windows, and prompt you like 'do you want to completely gently caress your own computer', and then will write to the MBR, and then reboot the computer and run some program to wipe all physical disks. or something.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I want to write back to her:

quote:

Dear Contessa,

I strongly suggest you urinate directly on your physical disks, while the computer is turned on, and reading/writing data. I believe this will securely 'wipe' your physical disks, and ensure no man woman or child will ever be able to steal your identity henceforth.

Sincerely,
MindPhlux

but, she's an elderly lady - and really, there's gotta be a program out there...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I guess this looks promising, but I don't have a machine to test it on

http://hddguru.com/software/2006.04.13-HDD-Wipe-Tool/

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
edit : nevermind, I figured it out. dumb.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 5, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Scenario :
Windows server 2012 R2
Windows 10 client

Is it possible to set up a mapped network drive, or "network place" on a windows 10 machine, that will connect to a Windows Server "Server Folder" using Remote Web Access / Essentials - without using a VPN?

Right now a friend has a server set up using essentials, and they really love the remote desktop proxy setup on their Server 2012. They can set up a RDP session, enter the remote desktop gateway information (as set up by Essentials), and one-click access their workstations via RDP.

They are looking for the same sort of access to their server folders. IE, they have server folders set up that are accessible via the Remote Web Access portal if they log in using a browser, but they are wanting to connect to those folders using windows explorer natively, as if they just had a mapped network drive.

Been googling a while, haven't found a good answer.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Vulture Culture posted:

Hope they like Cryptolocker!

what

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
gently caress windows storage spaces

motherfuck windows storage spaces

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I have one, and only one vendor I work with, with whom I regularly exchange files.

They use a mac, OS whatever the gently caress, built in mail client on a POP3 server. I use windows, outlook with an exchange server, like the rest of the civilized world.

every time I loving send this person an attachment, they complain about a winmail.dat file instead of getting an attachment.

I'm not an idiot, I'm not sending my mail encoded in rich text format, I've tried explicitly sending only in plaintext even. I've done all the troubleshooting I know how to do, but still just this one person is unable to open my e-mail.

I've exhausted my google abilities, have any of you solved this dumb problem?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

It's been a non-issue since XP really, since NTFS partitions aren't likely to end up severely hosed up and needing to be reformatted (it could be quite common for a problem bad enough to require reinstalling Windows 98 or 95 to also trash your FAT32 partition and require reformat). Even if doing a "reset" as Microsoft calls it doesn't work, simply reinstalling Windows 10 to the same partition from other media will do fine.

yeah, all your user data will be fine, windows 10 fixes everything, just go ahead and mash the reset windows button, you haven't needed to save anything since XP really, it'll all just be there!! :) :downs: :)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Toast Museum posted:

Nobody has suggested skipping backups. How often are you running into situations where keeping user data on a second partition makes a difference?

frequently. keep your SAN separate from your host OS, virtualize everything you can. it makes disaster recovery and sleeping well at night a million times easier. even if your "SAN" is just a separate partition on the same physical disk. if you know literally all your user data is on your SAN, you don't have to blink twice when nuking your OS partition/drive/whatever.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Lork posted:

What are some things I can try to deal with a bad update for Windows 10? The tablet I have to use for work got stuck on an update for Office that it spends an obnoxious amount of time trying to install, failing, and then undoing every time I turn it on or off. After wasting hours of my time over multiple days trying cookie cutter non solutions, tech support said they couldn't fix the problem unless I mail it to them, which I'm not going to do.

In previous versions of Windows you could hide an update if it was giving you trouble, but I don't know what can be done in 10.

this is cookiecutter but

run cmd as admin
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
sfc /scannow

then run update troubleshooter https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/512a5183-ffab-40c5-8a68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter

reboot, retry updating

if it doesn't help, check your event logs for specific errors w/rt updates and google that poo poo.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Lork posted:

sfc said it found issues but couldn't fix them. It made a log but it's gigantic so I wouldn't know where to look, especially with those atrocious touch controls. The update troubleshooter said it fixed 2 issues, but the problem persists. Checking the event log got me to the error "0x80070663" and googling that gave me the suggestion to run the Office installer in repair mode, which didn't work and [ur=https://www.codeproject.com/tips/1004584/small-tip-to-solve-an-unknown-error-x-during]this Fix It assistant[/url] which is apparently "discontinued". The other suggestion I saw was to completely uninstall and reinstall Office, which doesn't really seem like a feasible option. Oh well.

did you

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt" ?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
greenshot

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Read posted:

He means a tool to enable windows to snap to each other, the edges of the desktop, etc. Besides, when it comes to screen capture tools ShareX is king.

I also prefer Aquasnap for that function, though I think I just found an old version before they split into free/paid and used that?

totally misread the context / his post!

thanks for the shout on ShareX, hadn't come across that before. Looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
GOTTA STAY WOKE IN DIS TRUMP ERA