Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

Is anybody having problems actually installing? I burned the 64 bit .iso to a disk, booted from the disk and got to the screen with the blue background and white stripe things. After that, it just hung forever, nothing happened. I tried burning other disks, even burning one from a mac.

I have no idea what to do at this point. There's no menus or anything coming up, although I get a mouse cursor and that's it.

Anybody :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

kapinga posted:

How long is forever?
I let it sit once for 15-20 minutes before I gave up.

edit: sometimes you can hear the DVD drive spinning, like its about to do something but it just goes for a few seconds before getting quiet again.

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

kapinga posted:

Have you verified the image downloaded correctly?

SHA1:
(x86): 7D1F486CA569EFFFFB719CFB48355BB7BF499712
(x64): FC867FE1AB2E0A9796F9E4D155B44EA6998F4874
What do these numbers mean and how do I do whatever I need to do?

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

Alright, thanks for that program, pretty easy.

The hashes match.

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

Dr Tran posted:

I tried installing RC1 32 bit on my parents old emachines tower with a 2.2ghz celeron and 1.5gb of ram.
Took 24 hours to install. It kept hanging because the USB ports are busted.

Went back to XP and the machine is good as new.
Yeah I searched around on google and I saw a few mentions of USB devices making the install hang. I unplugged all of my usb stuff and no luck. I read some other things about video driver version and a million other things so gently caress it I give up. It's an RC anyway so whatever.

edit: I stopped being a pussy and just waited for it to go. It works fine now. Thanks guys!

free bowl of soup fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 9, 2009

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

Exioce posted:

My old old wireless USB adapter (Win XP and 2K drivers only) naturally doesn't work with Windows 7. I messed about with Compatibility mode too, but no joy. I just need to ensure a new one works with Vista and i should be good, right? Additionally, any recommendations on adapters? I don't mind paying a little more for something known to be a quality product.
I have an old as hell Linksys wireless pci card. It didn't work at all. I hooked up direct to my router instead. Somehow, Windows 7 automatically downloaded some Dell drivers that work on my card, and now it works perfectly. Of course, win7 now things my Linksys card is a Dell card, but it works.

Try and have Windows7 automatically search for drivers, you might get lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

fishmech posted:

I bet Dell has a card with the same chipset as your Intel card (which makes sense because Dell tends to use Intel chipsets for wireless anyway), and Dell was still selling the card recently enough to have updated drivers for Vista and therefore 7.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I bet Exioce has a pretty generic old usb wireless adapter, so he might get lucky and have Win7 automatically grab drivers that will work.