Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Zappa
Feb 6, 2004

Electric Aunt Jemima - Goddess of Love
Okay, dumb, stupid, and hopefully quick question. I've been pulling my hair out for about an hour and a half now, trying to do something that should be super simple. :(

I'm trying to share an external drive of one computer running windows 7 using simple windows 7 file sharing. I share it on the network, and when I try to connect to it from a different windows 7 machine, it tells me:

"Windows cannot access \\machine\f. You do not have permission to access \\machine\f. Contact your network administrator to request access."

So, I'm sure it's some kind of permissions problem... So, I find that going to Properties >> Security Tab >> Group or User Names, "Everyone" isn't listed as an option. (If I try to share other drives, it works, and "everyone" IS listed as an option.)

How do I get "everyone" listed? Or better yet, what the heck am I doing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Zappa
Feb 6, 2004

Illuminado posted:

Check the Sharing option and make sure that sharing is turned on.

Then you should be able to share that fine.

Nope, that didn't do it. :( (I checked all those settings--I had already set those settings that way.)

Frank Zappa
Feb 6, 2004

Frank Zappa posted:

Nope, that didn't do it. :( (I checked all those settings--I had already set those settings that way.)

I figured it out.

The Windows Firewall on the server machine was not allowing me to connect to the drive.

The super odd part about that is that the Windows firewall would let me connect to one shared drive on the computer and NOT the other. Super odd, but it works now, so I don't really care. :)

Thanks for your help.