Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
For those complaining about a lot of noise/HD reading/indexing/whatever it is. I was having the same issue and it was just annoying more than anything else really, especially when the rest of the room was quiet or when I'd be trying to sleep. Anyways I went into Services and disabled 'Superfetch'. Seems to have fixed the problem for now and hopefully forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Subjective Poison posted:

Don't do this.

Could you elaborate?

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Superfetch is a very good thing and you are handicapping your OS, disabling one of the things that makes Vista and 7 so superior to XP. Much like with indexing, it will settle down after a while, once it gets used to your usage habits.

Thermopyle posted:

It's like buying Win7 and then disabling Aero. As mentioned, Superfetch is one of the things that makes Win7 awesome, and it won't "make noise" for long.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll just let it do it's thing then and hopefully it won't be doing that for long.