Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokrswild
Feb 12, 2004

I'm an astronomer, and these are the stars! Can you see the stars?

pwnyXpress posted:

I would really like to upgrade, but I'm not getting a new computer for quite some time (newlywed and broke). What I have currently is this:

Dell Intel Pentium D CPU 3GHz (2 CPUs)
2558MB RAM
Plenty of Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Windows XP Home Edition (pretty sure it's 32bit)

Do you guys think getting Win7 for this computer is worth it? If so, which version do I need to get?

I had Vista running on a machine with similar specs, and it ran just fine. Heck, I'm running Vista on a 2.4GHz P4 with a geforce 8400 and 2gb ram. You'll be fine.

Take a look at what Pentium D you have. Check to see if it's 64 bit and if it support Virtualization. That way you can run Win7 x64 with XP mode available if you have any problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokrswild
Feb 12, 2004

Tagra posted:

Printer Stuff

I had a similar issue with Vista at first, but it turns out that that XP (32 bit) can't use Vista/7's 64 bit drivers, if that's the version you're running. You'll want to open up the printer properties, and under sharing (I think) click on additional drivers. You won't want to run the driver installation program from the manufacturer, you'll just need a folder with the 32 bit drivers inside to point to.

jokrswild
Feb 12, 2004

Pilsner posted:

That worked, although still no option to pin to the task bar either.

In your BAT/CMD file, add the command "pause" so it sits there for a while (not needed if your script takes a while to run). On the task bar, you can right click on the icon it shows while running and choose pin.

edit: maybe not? Now it's just opening the cmd prompt for me.

edit2: I guess you could always create your own toolbar from a folder with just the bat, or a shortcut to the bat in it.

jokrswild fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 3, 2009