Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org
Has anyone else experienced issues with Windows 7 and onboard eSata ports using a JMicron storage controller (jmb36x)?

There's been a pretty constant stream of new drivers showing up at
ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/XP_Vista_Win7/ but none have fixed my issue. I have a WD external drive with esata/usb/firewire hookups and when connected via eSata the drive disconnects when coming back from sleep. Nothing will bring it back besides power cycling the unit. It worked great in Vista after I updated the firmware and got a more recent driver but now I'm stuck using USB.

I've tried all kinds of crap including switching my Windows 7 install to AHCI, having device manager rescan via devcon (basically i only need the thing for backups so i could have this run before a scheduled backup) etc etc, it seems like the drive is getting a mal-formed wake command or something from the computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org
Yeah I played with turning write caching on and off, having issues with eSata though, not firewire.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

KaLogain posted:

I had this exact same problem. I installed the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager and it solved it.

Yeah I hadn't tried that since switching to AHCI but still no dice. Maybe I can create a tiny robot that will power cycle the drive before a backup. Why does eSata have to suck so hard anyway, its so god drat fast I could use USB but I feel like a grandpa.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

Casao posted:

Upgrade key requires an ACTIVATED copy of Windows to be installed beforehand. Until someone tests, we don't know if it keeps track of this if you put your key in later.

In short: You can't install RTM without a key and then punch in the upgrade license, from the way we've been informed.

Hmm that's what I did though. About a month ago I installed clean (as in I deleted my windows partition before installing) without entering a key from
7600.16385.090713-1255_x64fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULXFRER_EN_DVD.iso
and modified ei.cfg to remove ultimate and put in professional. So I was running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with no key. This morning I got my upgrade key from win741 and plugged it into the change product key area and activated, no problem.

Sooooo TLDR, do a clean install without entering a key and you can enter your upgrade key after installation.

Just make sure you're actually installing the version you'll have a key for by modifying ei.cfg if need be.

jmu fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 22, 2009

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

bull3964 posted:

Does anyone know if the recovery from a drive image allows you to recover to a different sized partition than you started out with? That's my main concern as I like to upgrade my drive periodically. So, if I take an image of my new Win 7 install from my 250gb notebook drive now, it would be nice to be able to restore that image on to a 500gb drive later if I chose to upgrade. It's not a HUGE deal if i can't and it creates a 250gb partition on the 500gb drive, but it would just be nice to know.

I'm not sure if the installer will automatically expand the partition or not but you can expand it via Disk Management after install if not.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

Codiusprime posted:

So, this may have been addressed but every time I try to catch up in the thread it's gotten bigger by about 200 posts.

I was wondering if anyone had run across an add on similar to gmail notifier plus, that allows me to minimize my iTunes window to the task bar and give me basic controls when I mouse over the icon, play, pause, etc. If it isn't out I'm sure it will be.

iTunes does that out of the box on Windows 7 though, try hovering over the icon in the taskbar.

I also find it hard to believe that you guys trying to use that crappy Digital River download can't just get an ISO of 7 from somewhere. I realize they dropped the ball on that but the media for Windows 7 has to be one of the mostly highly available things on the web right now, I don't think you can spit on google search without hitting a download link (analogy fail)

jmu fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 24, 2009

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org
Just wanted to drop in and speak on issues I had getting a buddy setup with Windows 7. We were getting BSODs before we'd even get into setup, usually around when the "flower background" first appeared, they were also random, either IRQ LESS THAN BLAH BLAH or SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION referencing a different file each time. After trying everything I could think of: unplugging everything from the system that was unneeded, swapping in a different video card, reseting CMOS, running memtest. Finally tried disabling any onboard components I could; sound, onboard NIC, even the firewire ports. Also disabled something I can't remember exactly but it was like "IDE Prefetch" or something. This allowed the install to run without further issue and we turned all this back on afterwards.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

Alex007 posted:

This is what I did, it installed fine but I can't activate.

Do the phone activation, you'll probably have to talk to India but they'll activate it for you.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org
Has anyone else experienced issues with the desktop/explorer folders not "refreshing" automatically, for instance if I save a file to a folder I have to refresh to see it, I have to refresh to see the new modified date/time on existing files when I save them, this occurs on the desktop if I save a file there as well, have to refresh before I see it and its pretty god drat maddening.

Googling brings up other folks with the issue from Win 7 betas but not solutions. This is a clean install of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, I'm not sure when this started happening.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

Avarcirwen posted:

I'll check them out, thanks!

You're still going to need to Sysprep the system to get a new SID....

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org
Has anyone else noticed that the new document "libraries" don't update correctly? For instance if I create and save a file in Word 2007 to my documents folder (the only folder included in the document library) I have to them open my documents folder and edit the name of the file before it will show up in the documents library, that was really frustrating for a moment, not even searches within the library brought back the file.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

Casao posted:

Definitely not happening for me, did you turn off Indexing or something dumb like that?

Nah, I'll try reindexing though. If MS is going to stick with a file system that requites a separate indexing process you'd think they could get it right after several years.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

Casao posted:

Errr, which file system do you know of which doesn't require a separate indexing process? HFS+ does, and I see nothing about indexing being built into Ext4 or ReisferFS, where are we seeing file systems that need it?

Nah actually I'm stupid and thought other file systems somehow did away with indexing but I'm wrong.

In anycase I was hoping issues with the indexer were fixed with 7 because I had to reindex in Vista a dozen times or so because of weird search problems.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

Thermopyle posted:

What personal computing product doesn't have oddball problems on some people's computer in some circumstances?

In my experience "some people" = one third of the Vista/7 users we support and the oddball problem is that it doesn't work, at all.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

Jam2 posted:

I am purchasing a netbook for my 7 year old sister and will need to have good parental control so she doesn't lose her innocence on the internet. How does Windows 7 run on netbooks? How effective is the Parental Control in Windows 7?

Looks like they are limited to controlling when a user account can be used (Only Sunday, between 4 and 6 pm, stuff like that). Blocking games by ESRB rating and blocking specific programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

Jensen posted:

Does anyone know how to remove windows defender updates from Windows Update?

There is a new one released everyday and, while I'd rather not have windows update automatically download and install updates, I'd either like it to do that JUST for windows defender updates or just never show the drat things at all.

So do you you use Windows Defender? I'm not sure of a way to disable updates just for it without turning off Defender (which you can do if you have "real" AV running, just go into Defender options and uncheck "Use this program" at the very bottom).